Anyone ever been a summer camp counselor?

polo

Flaccid Member
Aug 1, 2007
Marklar
₥0
Yes, I know. Camp as in gay outward manner. Right, now that we have that out of the way.

I have very little in the way to do this summer. Aside from the possibility of resits (which I don't think I'll have) I'll probably just continue working 2 days a week and going to the gym. While this is an entirely feasible week for the majority of France, it's not for me. I'll be 21 in July, which means I'm 1/3rd dead and I would like to do something worthwhile before reaching geriatric stage.

I have thought about being a camp counselor in North America for a while now, but have simply never been arsed to organize it. As I plan to serve with the forces after graduation, I think this is an excellent opportunity to pad my CV with some "leadership skills".

The company is very reluctant to tell me what I will actually be doing since they can't assign you a camp until May. The options are Christian, Jewish, Day and Special Needs and the placements are Pennsylvania, New York or Quebec.

Anyone ever been to one of these? My experience of summer camps extends as far as "Are You Afraid of the Dark" which used to air on Nickelodeon back in the 90's.

In the words of Craig David. Can you fill me in? I'd like to know what these camps do aside from go swimming in the old water hole or playing guitar (they'll bore of me as I can only play the opening of Jonny Cash's Folsom Prison Blues, and it's served me well). Also, is it a worthwhile experience and a good way to spend the summer? Or do you have other suggestions?

Thx u

Yes, I know. Camp as in gay outward manner. Right, now that we have that out of the way.

I have very little in the way to do this summer. Aside from the possibility of resits (which I don't think I'll have) I'll probably just continue working 2 days a week and going to the gym. While this is an entirely feasible week for the majority of France, it's not for me. I'll be 21 in July, which means I'm 1/3rd dead and I would like to do something worthwhile before reaching geriatric stage.

I have thought about being a camp counselor in North America for a while now, but have simply never been arsed to organize it. As I plan to serve with the forces after graduation, I think this is an excellent opportunity to pad my CV with some "leadership skills".

The company is very reluctant to tell me what I will actually be doing since they can't assign you a camp until May. The options are Christian, Jewish, Day and Special Needs and the placements are Pennsylvania, New York or Quebec.

Anyone ever been to one of these? My experience of summer camps extends as far as "Are You Afraid of the Dark" which used to air on Nickelodeon back in the 90's.

In the words of Craig David. Can you fill me in? I'd like to know what these camps do aside from go swimming in the old water hole or playing guitar (they'll bore of me as I can only play the opening of Jonny Cash's Folsom Prison Blues, and it's served me well). Also, is it a worthwhile experience and a good way to spend the summer? Or do you have other suggestions?

Thx u

OMFG I love you. You make it so easy.

I love you too man.

Christian, Jewish, Day and Special Needs... those are all crappy choices. Definitely avoid Day camp as it will amount to baby sitting more than anything, you'll make 2000 macaroni collages by the end of the summer. Special Needs is another one to avoid because it would be frustrating as hell.

I'd assume Jewish is out since you hate Israel and anything associated with a passion and often align yourself with the modern day Nazi's that fully embrace the holocaust and wish for a second one to purge the world of Poland.

Christian Camps will probably be the closest thing to the typical hiking, swimming, archery, guns, sitting around the camp fire singing gay Christian songs, etc. type of experience.

Really, the idea is right, but I'd try to find something else less geared towards kids. If you want to travel around North America, find a bunch of random people you know solely from the internet and ask to stay with them for a few days before moving on. Otherwise the only thing you'll see is the same few acres of woods out in the middle of no-where with creepy brainwashed religious kids cycling through all summer. Dharma will even share her own bed and offer a happy ending.

I love you too man.

Christian, Jewish, Day and Special Needs... those are all crappy choices. Definitely avoid Day camp as it will amount to baby sitting more than anything, you'll make 2000 macaroni collages by the end of the summer. Special Needs is another one to avoid because it would be frustrating as hell.

I'd assume Jewish is out since you hate Israel and anything associated with a passion and often align yourself with the modern day Nazi's that fully embrace the holocaust and wish for a second one to purge the world of Poland.

Christian Camps will probably be the closest thing to the typical hiking, swimming, archery, guns, sitting around the camp fire singing gay Christian songs, etc. type of experience.

Really, the idea is right, but I'd try to find something else less geared towards kids. If you want to travel around North America, find a bunch of random people you know solely from the internet and ask to stay with them for a few days before moving on. Otherwise the only thing you'll see is the same few acres of woods out in the middle of no-where with creepy brainwashed religious kids cycling through all summer. Dharma will even share her own bed and offer a happy ending.

Yeah, I didn't actually read your post I stopped at summer camp I felt I had enough ammo at that point.

I went to a Boy Scout summer camp annually for 7 years. I was a counselor there for 2 of those summers.

Things that you do at a summer camp really depends on what kind of camp it is and how long a camper will stay there. The camp I went to and worked at, Camp Grimes, was a boy scout camp so it was boy scout oriented. Campers would visit for 1 week.

Boy scouts earn merit badges and this was the primary focus of activities here. Here is a day in the life of a camper at Grimes,

6:45am Wake up
7:30am Assemble at flag pole outside of mess hall.
8:00am Breakfast
8:30am Merit Badge class 1
9:30am Merit Badge class 2
10:30am Merit Badge class 3
11:30am Merit Badge class 4
12:00pm Lunch
1:00-4:00 Free Time (most merit badge centers stay open for non-merit badge activities...campers can visit to use the areas to do crafts, see and interact with wildlife, swim, shoot, whatever...their choice)
5:00 Dinner
Evenings might be planned events or assemblies or open for free time...just depends on what's going on.
10:00pm campers must be back in campsites.

So basically activities were any of the following (this list is not complete, this is just what I remember)

Waterfront=
Swimming
Canoeing
kayaking
white water rafting
waterskiing
fishing
Life Saving
Small Boat Sailing

Arts/Crafts=
Leatherwork
Metalwork
carpentry

Outdoorsmanship=
Wilderness Survival
Astronomy
Orienteering
Hiking
Cooking
Pioneering
Cycling

Sports=
Basketball
Volleyball
Soccer
Skeet Shooting (12ga. shotgun)
Rifle Shooting (.22ca. rifles)
Archery

Nature=
Environmental Science
Reptile Study
Fish & Wildlife Management
Forestry
Soil and Water Conservation
Weather

Medical/Civic=
First Aid
Fire Safety
Crime Prevention
Fingerprinting

Frontier=
Indian Lore
Geology
Archeology

Hell, I'm surprised that I remember that much. Any of those activities were valid merit badges, and you could visit any of those areas during any afternoon just out of personal interest. Of course, most kids would go swim in the lake, or play basketball/soccer. Shooting sports required your adult leaders go with you and you had to have an appointment set up.

Working there was great, everybody was cool as hell, the pay sucked but they fed and housed you on site all summer. I mean, all the counselors were 16-18 years old so outside of doing our job we just goofed off and had a good time.

I'm not sure if this helps, I would imagine any camp will differ in many ways. I think as long as you are going to have a good time, you should succeed. You just have to be in the right frame of mind, and ready to put up with kids' crap. If you can get past that it should be a good experience I would think.

Last edited:
Yea, I went to boyscout camp too when I was like 10, and in high school I knew a few counselors. Boyscout camp would be awesome to be a counselor at probably, but... that's not one of his choices and there's no way he would pull it off.

Christian camp? That's gonna be a completely different and suck experience as it will be geared alot less towards teamwork, outdoor activities, etc.

I'm not sure if there's a non-boyscout version of boyscout camp. Maybe just a generic summer camp without some theme would be good?

Yea, I went to boyscout camp too when I was like 10, and in high school I knew a few counselors. Boyscout camp would be awesome to be a counselor at probably, but... that's not one of his choices and there's no way he would pull it off.

Christian camp? That's gonna be a completely different and suck experience as it will be geared alot less towards teamwork, outdoor activities, etc.

I'm not sure if there's a non-boyscout version of boyscout camp. Maybe just a generic summer camp without some theme would be good?

Ok, I went to Christian sleep away camp for one summer. It was absolutely insane. First, they totally are going to hate you because of being gay and all . . .

So this one time at church camp, the camp counselor for my dorm got up at 2am and made us all get up and pray with her because she said she could see demons trying to come get us.

For real.

I went to a Christian camp for a week one summer, never again. It fucking blew. It amounted to a bunch of religious propaganda, singing songs with agendas, and a bunch of other boringness.

We turned it into a week of whipping each other with bandannas. Mom was confused why I had so many welts on my legs when I came home after that week. I never went back :lol:

52347cae25b03fe3.jpg

PedoBear.jpg

Last edited:
I love you too man.

I don't mind Jews, it's zionists I don't like. But you're right, I don't particularly like the Polish. The ones who come here anyway. Not because they "take our jobs", but they're mainly just asses. I get the feeling that the majority of them are/have been criminals. They just seem more evil than us. I don't know.

Christian camp sounds good. I was educated by Jesuits for a long period of time and while not being a christian per-say, I do agree with some of the virtues and if that helps people live a better, more rewarding life then so be it.

I would like to travel, but summer is really just an opportunity for more CV based work as I have very little in the way of leadership qualifications aside from playing the odd bit of sport.

Don't tempt me with tales of Dharma, being in the very same land mass as her will give me many a sleepless night... :(

I went to a Boy Scout summer camp annually for 7 years. I was a counselor there for 2 of those summers.

Things that you do at a summer camp really depends on what kind of camp it is and how long a camper will stay there. The camp I went to and worked at, Camp Grimes, was a boy scout camp so it was boy scout oriented. Campers would visit for 1 week.

Boy scouts earn merit badges and this was the primary focus of activities here. Here is a day in the life of a camper at Grimes,

6:45am Wake up
7:30am Assemble at flag pole outside of mess hall.
8:00am Breakfast
8:30am Merit Badge class 1
9:30am Merit Badge class 2
10:30am Merit Badge class 3
11:30am Merit Badge class 4
12:00pm Lunch
1:00-4:00 Free Time (most merit badge centers stay open for non-merit badge activities...campers can visit to use the areas to do crafts, see and interact with wildlife, swim, shoot, whatever...their choice)
5:00 Dinner
Evenings might be planned events or assemblies or open for free time...just depends on what's going on.
10:00pm campers must be back in campsites.

So basically activities were any of the following (this list is not complete, this is just what I remember)

Waterfront=
Swimming
Canoeing
kayaking
white water rafting
waterskiing
fishing
Life Saving
Small Boat Sailing

Arts/Crafts=
Leatherwork
Metalwork
carpentry

Outdoorsmanship=
Wilderness Survival
Astronomy
Orienteering
Hiking
Cooking
Pioneering
Cycling

Sports=
Basketball
Volleyball
Soccer
Skeet Shooting (12ga. shotgun)
Rifle Shooting (.22ca. rifles)
Archery

Nature=
Environmental Science
Reptile Study
Fish & Wildlife Management
Forestry
Soil and Water Conservation
Weather

Medical/Civic=
First Aid
Fire Safety
Crime Prevention
Fingerprinting

Frontier=
Indian Lore
Geology
Archeology

Hell, I'm surprised that I remember that much. Any of those activities were valid merit badges, and you could visit any of those areas during any afternoon just out of personal interest. Of course, most kids would go swim in the lake, or play basketball/soccer. Shooting sports required your adult leaders go with you and you had to have an appointment set up.

Working there was great, everybody was cool as hell, the pay sucked but they fed and housed you on site all summer. I mean, all the counselors were 16-18 years old so outside of doing our job we just goofed off and had a good time.

I'm not sure if this helps, I would imagine any camp will differ in many ways. I think as long as you are going to have a good time, you should succeed. You just have to be in the right frame of mind, and ready to put up with kids' crap. If you can get past that it should be a good experience I would think.

Fantastic post, thanks for the info!

Was the whole experience worthwhile to your CV? Did you make any lasting friendships from it?

That's the sort of thing I'd be after. I don't believe I do have the opportunity for boy scout camps though... I'll drop them an email and see if that has potential.

Would you have any suggestions for where I should select of the three places on offer?

Ok, I went to Christian sleep away camp for one summer. It was absolutely insane. First, they totally are going to hate you because of being gay and all . . .

So this one time at church camp, the camp counselor for my dorm got up at 2am and made us all get up and pray with her because she said she could see demons trying to come get us.

For real.

That stuffs kind of barmy. I don't think I'd be up for any overt christian functions although I don't think they'll ask me for my input really.

I'd be a cheery irishman though, I'm sure they'd quickly get over the gayness. I could wear skin-tight shorts and have a megaphone. GOOD MORNING CAMPERTH!!!

I don't mind Jews, it's zionists I don't like. But you're right, I don't particularly like the Polish. The ones who come here anyway. Not because they "take our jobs", but they're mainly just asses. I get the feeling that the majority of them are/have been criminals. They just seem more evil than us. I don't know.

Christian camp sounds good. I was educated by Jesuits for a long period of time and while not being a christian per-say, I do agree with some of the virtues and if that helps people live a better, more rewarding life then so be it.

I would like to travel, but summer is really just an opportunity for more CV based work as I have very little in the way of leadership qualifications aside from playing the odd bit of sport.

Don't tempt me with tales of Dharma, being in the very same land mass as her will give me many a sleepless night... :(

Bitch I am a land mass.

Edit: I totally thought that you were responding to yourself. One of you needs to change screen names.

I went to a Christian camp for a week one summer, never again. It fucking blew. It amounted to a bunch of religious propaganda, singing songs with agendas, and a bunch of other boringness.

We turned it into a week of whipping each other with bandannas. Mom was confused why I had so many welts on my legs when I came home after that week. I never went back :lol:

From what they're leading me to believe it's really just a camp "Based around Christian ethos". They list activities as above, but no mention of praying or flagellation etc.

Am I being mislead by General Betray-us yet again?

Bitch I am a land mass.

Edit: I totally thought that you were responding to yourself. One of you needs to change screen names.

If you were a mass of land, you'd be a desert. Barren without me, and in need of a good watering!