Anyone else obsessed with Google Earth?

Sarcasmo

A Taste Of Honey Fluff Boy
Mar 28, 2005
Austin
Marklar
₥663
I was thinking tonight about how much of my life has disappeared because of this software. I'm pretty sure that over the past year I've averaged around 3-4 hours a day on it. :fly:

I just finished scanning the northernmost coastline of the Yukon, for example, and discovered a surprising number of little blue squares up there. Riverbeds out in the middle of fucking nowhere, tiny Inuit towns... Some of their buildings have massive metal cages around the front doors and stairwells to keep polar bears out.

And then there are the add-ons, like the one that allows you to track ships at sea. It's easily one of the greatest things ever invented.

You can't see a frozen solid musk ox on Street Views.

3793225.jpg

I was thinking tonight about how much of my life has disappeared because of this software. I'm pretty sure that over the past year I've averaged around 3-4 hours a day on it. :fly:

I just finished scanning the northernmost coastline of the Yukon, for example, and discovered a surprising number of little blue squares up there. Riverbeds out in the middle of fucking nowhere, tiny Inuit towns... Some of their buildings have massive metal cages around the front doors and stairwells to keep polar bears out.

And then there are the add-ons, like the one that allows you to track ships at sea. It's easily one of the greatest things ever invented.
first of all, fucking :lol: @ "a surprising number of little blue squares"

secondly, i think the cages aren't so much to keep them out as to give you a chance to see them. you can't see through a solid door, so polar bears lurk outside them waiting for food like a person hovering over the can opener, so they invented the cages.

thirdly, not so much google earth as google maps. just today i was trying to figure out exactly what constitutes the "DFW Connector" and ended up spending an hour considering different routes to and from lake texoma from my house. (i've settled in 75 south, then 635 west, then 35E south, then Loop 12 south, then 183 west, then 121 south)

I'm pissed that it's been years and they still only have really shitty resolution of my home town. I can't look up where I grew up.

I just zoomed in on Stavanger, Norway and it's the same deal. Fucking lame. I can see the exact blurred location of my house on the ocean though, and some dude named TomG was kind enough to take his kayak out and photograph all the shit I looked at growing up. Man that's cool.

I just zoomed in on Stavanger, Norway and it's the same deal. Fucking lame. I can see the exact blurred location of my house on the ocean though, and some dude named TomG was kind enough to take his kayak out and photograph all the shit I looked at growing up. Man that's cool.
he did that at your request, or you just found his photos? I can make out the streets in my old hood, and big buildings and stuff, but my house is just a darkish blur.

I just looked at all his blue squares in the water.

Here's the view from my old house, which is about a half mile behind his kayak.

3059204.jpg

Man I am so bored of listening to men talk about how great google earth is. From the minute it was launched all I hear is nerdy men butt licking that stupid map.

I did find it cool that the picture of my grandad's allotment actually has his car parked there from when he wsa gardening when he was alive. That's cuet.

Man I am so bored of listening to men talk about how great google earth is. From the minute it was launched all I hear is nerdy men butt licking that stupid map.

I did find it cool that the picture of my grandad's allotment actually has his car parked there from when he wsa gardening when he was alive. That's cuet.

You have to wrap your head around the fact that you can visit virtually every square foot of the planet from your living room. You have all of it right at your fingertips, complete with numerous photographs. If you can't understand how mind-blowing that is, then go make me a sandwich.

The owner of this software would have controlled the world 500 years ago. Think about that for a minute.

Gah, daft women. :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
You have to wrap your head around the fact that you can visit virtually every square foot of the planet from your living room. You have all of it right at your fingertips, complete with numerous photographs. If you can't understand how mind-blowing that is, then go make me a sandwich.

The owner of this software would have controlled the world 500 years ago. Think about that for a minute.

Gah, daft women. :mad: :mad:

this software plus a weather machine and you'd be unstoppable!
MUAHAHAHAHAHA *pinky to lip*