WTF Anyone actually played around with ChatGPT

Hrm
I always found essays to be a great way of honing your argument.

It's unsurprising to me that people are morally bankrupt enough that they're unwilling to do the work to the point of denigrating the medium in that way (by having a robot write it for them), but I guess we'll just be collectively dumber for it instead.

I always found essays to be a great way of honing your argument.

It's unsurprising to me that people are morally bankrupt enough that they're unwilling to do the work to the point of denigrating the medium in that way (by having a robot write it for them), but I guess we'll just be collectively dumber for it instead.
Personally I'm less interested in people writing essays with this, more thinking of stuff outside english class or whatever.

How do you know that an AI database doesn't have bad data? How do you know that any "good" data it has isn't hiding false assumptions within it?

An easy example is AI suggests that men are better soldiers. Why? Cause there is a century+ worth of data on men's survival in battle and a couple decades of women.

Personally I'm less interested in people writing essays with this, more thinking of stuff outside english class or whatever.

How do you know that an AI database doesn't have bad data? How do you know that any "good" data it has isn't hiding false assumptions within it?

An easy example is AI suggests that men are better soldiers. Why? Cause there is a century+ worth of data on men's survival in battle and a couple decades of women.
Look up 'AI hallucinations'. It invents things that its sure are true.

Like I know the point you're trying to make but I don't think your example is good. I would've went with structural racism or something.

Like I know the point you're trying to make but I don't think your example is good. I would've went with structural racism or something.
The example, as far as I can recall, is an actual early example of AI derived "optimization."
Structural racism, especially in the medical field, is a great example of AI falling down because of faulty inputs.

The example, as far as I can recall, is an actual early example of AI derived "optimization."
Structural racism, especially in the medical field, is a great example of AI falling down because of faulty inputs.
Then again... lived experience. Point is ai isn't actually creative, it's a more complex Markov chain. Actual insight is still beyond the ken of any ai chatbots. They're still just a more efficient generator of the library reference desk. If it could develop novel ideas I'd be impressed. I'd also be calling for it to be banned but that's another topic.

Slightly ironic to be the one pointing this out.

Personally, I'm more interested in dealing professionally with people who can express their points in a clear, concise way, and that's what essay writing helped me with.

Personally, I'm more interested in dealing professionally with people who can express their points in a clear, concise way, and that's what essay writing helped me with.
Writing police reports really polished my writing 😂

Look up 'AI hallucinations'. It invents things that its sure are true.
Human beings do that too though. Our brain perverts a story we heard from someone else or read somewhere into something that happened to us.

I could only read the first paragraph before the paywall popped. It figures though. Not that essays were the best teaching tool ever. Like I learned more about writing doing it professionally than I ever did in school.
Try archive.ph to get around the paywall.

• Gravy
Reactions: ZRH
A top Google exec predicts that CHATGPT will put GooGoo out of business in just two short years. God I hope so!
If anything is going to fill peoples' heads with convenient idiocy about things like vaccines and conservatives being the friend of the working class, I guess ChatGPT is as good a candidate as any.

A top Google exec predicts that CHATGPT will put GooGoo out of business in just two short years. God I hope so!
I don't understand these people. That makes no sense. I mean, Google is a market leader in this stuff. They've apparently written a good chunk of the base that went into ChatGPT. It's not like they're going to sit there wondering what to do next.

Duh, Google will be fine.

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia