Ontopic Any thought on the USPS potentially shutting down?

it's steep for sure but it also includes 24 hour door man, directv, high speed internet, trash and water

You just hang them on a hook in the bathroom.

kermit864.gif

That whole movie was gotdamnt hilarious. It's still one of my faves.

...besides the uneccessary slow death scene of the security guard. :/

We will not lose our ability to get items from A to B but we might end up losing some of the convenience we have now with daily delivery.
Then it will not fill the void. The void isn't an inability to get things from A to B, the void is the loss of that very convenience and cost. That being said, the overwhelming majority of mail I get is pure bullshit and I wish I didn't. I don't need my utility bills or offer letters for credit cards. I probably pick up two to three pieces of mail during the week that I don't simply glance over and throw away.
The operating costs to do daily delivery for smaller items will most likely cause the commercial carriers to not take on that aspect. Unless someone is wanting to pay a much higher cost to mail these items then everyone might have to adjust how we mail things as well as what is mailed. This could easily affect items like magazines, NetFlix, etc. Any thoughts on this or how it might affect you if at all.

Those larger items like magazine subscriptions and netflix will be a lot more cost effective if the majority of useless crap that comes through is eliminated but we wouldn't be able to sustain the same level of daily delivery we currently see. Wouldn't affect me directly but since so much business still has to be done through the mail due to a perpetual failure of some industries to adapt to modern times it could have a severe impact on the economy if the mail has to stop.

Last edited:
Pretty much.

If they want to cut costs they should start just shred "To current resident" envelopes at the home office.
Other way around, junk mail is what has been keeping the post office alive for a while. All that business reply mail generates revenue for the USPS but it also generates a lot of waste. Without it they might come close to breaking even but they would have to severely cut down on service. I like the idea of the mail only coming 2-3 days a week. The couple hundred thousand employees that are about to be laid off, however, might not feel the same way.

Why doesn't doesn't Google send junk mail? I'm pretty sure they want money. (Everyone want's money)

This is a dumb question on two levels. First of all, why would a company that had a drastic impact on the way people use the internet do something that isn't focused on the internet? Second, you do see junk mail from google: it's called advertising. Those links on the side of your search results are the online equivalent of it.

edit: third level, until recently the only thing that google actually sold was advertising space in the first place. they don't have anything for you to buy unless you're a business looking to advertise online.

This is a dumb question on two levels. First of all, why would a company that had a drastic impact on the way people use the internet do something that isn't focused on the internet? Second, you do see junk mail from google: it's called advertising. Those links on the side of your search results are the online equivalent of it.

edit: third level, until recently the only thing that google actually sold was advertising space in the first place. they don't have anything for you to buy unless you're a business looking to advertise online.

That was pages back. Your response is null and void.