Halp Any of you Americans ever thought of exsanguinating?

Dude I go to Chile a few times a year for work and that place isn't for you. One outside of the one major city the rest is 3rd world living. And to be honest most of the major city is 3rd world as well. I've never seen so many stray dogs on my life. They are all over the place and the don't catch them they just let them run and eat trash. Plus there is zero English there and I mean zero. It's not like some places that you can get by because they know a little English. Because of the Andes they've been basically seperated from the world until recent times.

I've met a ton of expats in my government days and the only issue I have is most of the places these folks live to get a finiancial break is 3rd world or borderline 3rd world. Of course it's cheaper because its all crap. You can live that way here as well and gain your finiancial freedom.

It's not even about financial inpendence. It's about living in the world. Are you suggesting that we shouldn't *try* it? Guess what happens if we don't like it. We move!

Because we've grown up in fear thanks to THIS country. It doesn't HAVE to be that way.

It's not out of fear it's because both Embasseys say they have to. Just because you live in another country doesn't mean you have the same rules as the locals. You're still an American citizen following visitor rules.

You're not surprising me any.

We've talked about the 'comforts' of losing the smart phone and only having a backpack of our stuff.

Not permanently, but I have a couple friends that are doing that in Peru right now. They are with a group though, so not entirely just on their own. I think they'll have been gone almost 4 months when they make it back. Crazy awesome experience.

It's not out of fear it's because both Embasseys say they have to. Just because you live in another country doesn't mean you have the same rules as the locals. You're still an American citizen following visitor rules.

A classic example from the people we meet last week: They lived in one of the most dangerous cities in the world for two years. The worst thing that happened roaming around the city? Her wallet got stolen off her wrist once. I understand you've probably had different experiences based on your military experience, but *just maybe* it isn't that way in some countries where the US isn't showing force.

And I think you should. Just stop talking about it and do it before it becomes another thing on your list that doesn't happen.

Then why are you trying to talk us out of it at the same time? Do you think we're dumb enough to not research this stuff and understand the areas that we might go?

It's clean.
If it wasn't it would be crunchy and dark

negative, my dear. you can have crystal clear water that is non-potable and only usable for external hygiene purposes at best

clear does not mean clean. and while water can be clean enough to do your laundry and wash yourself it can still be unsafe to drink