Halp Any of you Americans ever thought of exsanguinating?

Dude I go to Chile a few times a year for work and that place isn't for you. One outside of the one major city the rest is 3rd world living. And to be honest most of the major city is 3rd world as well. I've never seen so many stray dogs on my life. They are all over the place and the don't catch them they just let them run and eat trash. Plus there is zero English there and I mean zero. It's not like some places that you can get by because they know a little English. Because of the Andes they've been basically seperated from the world until recent times.

I've met a ton of expats in my government days and the only issue I have is most of the places these folks live to get a finiancial break is 3rd world or borderline 3rd world. Of course it's cheaper because its all crap. You can live that way here as well and gain your finiancial freedom.

People live outside the cushy comforts we've created here in the us all the time. It's not to outside the lines to think of the possibility of prospering outside the u.s.

/said someone to me.

Living locally there are alot of little things you give up depending on country like bath tubs, AC in the home, Internet.

But isn't that the point here tho?
Living the simple life?
I mean a bath tub ? That's not a make or break deal. Not for me anyway ...

Anyone assuming that by moving to chile and living within the same living standards as the United States would have to be a retard.

Living the simple life?

Anyone assuming that by moving to chile and living within the same living standards as the United States would have to be a retard.

Yes but if your doing it because you think you can save money and gain finiancial freedom you can live the same here and save money. If you're doing it to live in the other country and live by their standards then 100% yes it's great. But alot of people visit counties and stay in the hilton and are like man this place is great but not realizing that outside the hilton is a different world.

Yes but if your doing it because you think you can save money and gain finiancial freedom you can live the same here and save money. If you're doing it to live in the other country and live by their standards then 100% yes it's great. But alot of people visit counties and stay in the hilton and are like man this place is great but not realizing that outside the hilton is a different world.

True dat.
Everything looks nice from the comfort of a nice hotel room.

Living the simple life?

Clean running water though isn't.

My parents recently went to Chile and had a different experience than you. :dunno:

All of the folks in Chile I work with share small apartments in the city that's basically a bed. They take a bus back to their village on the weekends. The villages are two hour chicken filled bus rides into crap locations. Look for a previous thread I did on my one my trips and you can see some of the local locations.

I'm prrettyyy sure we aren't dumb enough to not realize that.

All of the folks in Chile I work with share small apartments in the city that's basically a bed. They take a bus back to their village on the weekends. The villages are two hour chicken filled bus rides into crap locations. Look for a previous thread I did on my one my trips and you can see some of the local locations.
You're not surprising me any.

We've talked about the 'comforts' of losing the smart phone and only having a backpack of our stuff.