Any interest in a UF BF2 server? (requires money)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥83,324
Steam
mattressfish
Just testing the waters, so please be honest...

Since the genmay server just went down, it reminded me. Would any of you be interested in splitting the cost of a UF BF2 server? It doesn't look like any of these places have long term contracts, so we could even just do it for a month or two.

If you would be interested, please post so. I wouldn't want it to be more than $10/mo and hopefully MUCH less. Any takers?

some retarded motherfuckers over at that IP spange posted...fucking people on my team crowding my tank so I run over them because of simple movements

edit: if we're going to do this, let's do it right...I'm in for whatever it takes to make this a low ping, discretionarily high player server

Last edited:
http://www.artofwarcentral.com/main.asp?page=gp&view=144 wants $90 for a 32 player pub. I personally wouldn't want more than that. 64 player servers are total chaos, imho. I've heard good things about this place from KNYTE and others.

KNYTE also posted another place that was a little cheaper that he was using, hopefully he'll post it here.

If anyone has experience with any other game hosting service, post it!

Maybe post what you'd be willing to pay. Obviously for pay, you'd get admin rights on the server. I'm in for $25/mo, maybe more if we have to.

Name your price, $5 is cool if thats all you can spend... :heart:

We (my existing clan) actually pulled in a very large favor with a buddy at an ISP and are going to be getting our hosting done for free :), which we're all very happy about.

I can't recall the name of the place that was cheaper, but I know a buddy of mine will; I'll get it from him today and re-post it.

I like the idea of the UF server though. If my clan server does turn out to be entirely free I'd be interested in tossing in $5-$10 to this lot as well. :D

fly said:
http://www.artofwarcentral.com/main.asp?page=gp&view=144 wants $90 for a 32 player pub. I personally wouldn't want more than that. 64 player servers are total chaos, imho. I've heard good things about this place from KNYTE and others.

KNYTE also posted another place that was a little cheaper that he was using, hopefully he'll post it here.

If anyone has experience with any other game hosting service, post it!

Maybe post what you'd be willing to pay. Obviously for pay, you'd get admin rights on the server. I'm in for $25/mo, maybe more if we have to.

Name your price, $5 is cool if thats all you can spend... :heart:

I'll match your $25

I might be in, I'll have to talk to my financial advisor to see if I can free money from my Money Market account.

BTW, I was playing yesterday for the first time for a significant period of time. WTF is up with infantry combat? They changed the entire weapons fire/recoil system. And how the hell do you accurately snipe? Is it even possible or is it just luck?

smileynev said:
I might be in, I'll have to talk to my financial advisor to see if I can free money from my Money Market account.

BTW, I was playing yesterday for the first time for a significant period of time. WTF is up with infantry combat? They changed the entire weapons fire/recoil system. And how the hell do you accurately snipe? Is it even possible or is it just luck?

Sniper is a worthless class in BF2 (at least at the moment).

KNYTE said:
Sniper is a worthless class in BF2 (at least at the moment).

WTF is with it? Is it seriously just a luck thing? There is no drift near as I could tell. I sniped a couple of people yesterday but couldn't tell you what I did different between shots to hit them.

smileynev said:
WTF is with it? Is it seriously just a luck thing? There is no drift near as I could tell. I sniped a couple of people yesterday but couldn't tell you what I did different between shots to hit them.

The only thing worse than the sniper class in BF2 is the sniper class with a .50. That rifle is only effective when you sneak up on your enemy and crack them over the head. The M24 is slightly better.

I'm getting better, but really the most effective way to kill people is to shoot them when they are perfectly still and aim for the head. Moving targets can be hit, but expect to expend 2 clips of ammo on one guy. If the draw distance didn't blow so bad you'd be better off with an M16 set on semi-automatic.

Sarcasmo said:
The only thing worse than the sniper class in BF2 is the sniper class with a .50. That rifle is only effective when you sneak up on your enemy and crack them over the head. The M24 is slightly better.

I'm getting better, but really the most effective way to kill people is to shoot them when they are perfectly still and aim for the head. Moving targets can be hit, but expect to expend 2 clips of ammo on one guy. If the draw distance didn't blow so bad you'd be better off with an M16 set on semi-automatic.

The M16 fricken blows since its fully auto, at least for the medic. I was sniping some guy off of a rooftop. Took me 2 or 3 shots to kill him. The next guy up there I couldn't kill, even though he was in the same spot. And I could not even hit the guy on top of the crane who was sitting still. I loved the sniping system in 1942. You had to kneel or go prone to hit anything, and the scope drifted so you had to compensate. But 99% of the time you would hit what you were aiming at. It took a lot of practice to get decent at it.

smileynev said:
The M16 fricken blows since its fully auto, at least for the medic. I was sniping some guy off of a rooftop. Took me 2 or 3 shots to kill him. The next guy up there I couldn't kill, even though he was in the same spot. And I could not even hit the guy on top of the crane who was sitting still. I loved the sniping system in 1942. You had to kneel or go prone to hit anything, and the scope drifted so you had to compensate. But 99% of the time you would hit what you were aiming at. It took a lot of practice to get decent at it.

For whatever reason distance seems to make a huge difference. Now you may be thinking "What's the point of sniping someone from 40 feet away?"

I don't know.

Sarcasmo said:
For whatever reason distance seems to make a huge difference. Now you may be thinking "What's the point of sniping someone from 40 feet away?"

I don't know.

If thats the case they need to show that visually, IE drift etc. When my crosshairs are on someone and they aren't moving it should be a hit.

so we're at $60 confirmed and also an unspecified sum from droolio and maybe something from smiley?

Status
Not open for further replies.