Any Home A/V experts on this forum...?

S

smileynev

... I've got some more questions regarding my A/V runs in the hizzy. Specifically, what would be the best way to terminate the RG6 at the home end? I'm thinking of just running them into plastic gang boxes and hooking them up connectors and faceplates. If I do do that, how many should I run to a double gang box?

I also need to do the same thing for my cat5 runs. I'd prefer to do something along the same lines as above unless somebody can come up with something better.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Connectors and faceplates are good, dunno wtf a gang box is though

those plastic box thingies you attach to studs to put wiring in.

theacoustician said:
1. There's only one way to terminate RG6
2. As many as you want
3. As many as you want

I could just put ends on the cables and attach them directly to a switch of some kind. But then it would look ugly in the finished space.

smileynev said:
I could just put ends on the cables and attach them directly to a switch of some kind. But then it would look ugly in the finished space.
There's only one way to terminate an RG6 cable ... with a crimp connector. Compression couplings will only fail, so that's not an option. What you do with it after its terminated is up to you.

theacoustician said:
There's only one way to terminate an RG6 cable ... with a crimp connector. Compression couplings will only fail, so that's not an option. What you do with it after its terminated is up to you.

I tried compressions before and found that they do not meet my termination needs, so now I only crimp like a bitch. If it were your house and you were terminating them inside a finished wiring closet, how would you do it to make it look pretty?

smileynev said:
I tried compressions before and found that they do not meet my termination needs, so now I only crimp like a bitch. If it were your house and you were terminating them inside a finished wiring closet, how would you do it to make it look pretty?
Inside the closet? I'd separate the cables by signal type, dress them, and attach them to the wall field. Use large loops so you don't crimp the cables. Then connect them to the splitter you're using (which should also be attached to the wall).

Its just like dressing a rack or telcom wallfield.

theacoustician said:
Inside the closet? I'd separate the cables by signal type, dress them, and attach them to the wall field. Use large loops so you don't crimp the cables. Then connect them to the splitter you're using (which should also be attached to the wall).

Its just like dressing a rack or telcom wallfield.

dressing a rack...:drool: