another one

i simply cannot come up with a side to be on on this one. adoptive parents have had her for years and have brought her this far, but the biological parents are just that, and desperately want their child back and gave her up for selfless reasons. i don't know what to think.

I don't think they were being selfless at all. The entire event was orchestrated in selfishness on the parents part. To say, "Hey, we can't really afford this kid right now, it's too hard to come up with the money to feed her and us, so let's get rid of her for a few years so we only have to focus on ourselves and then just so get her and tear her away from everything she's ever known to come live with us again" is about as selfish as you can get.

Now before everyone goes off on me for not know what their circumstances really were, let me finish.

If it truly was a selfless act in which they knew they would not be able to adequately care for the child, they would only be viewing the events from the child's point of view and not putting their own feelings and emotions into it. I think anyone that is truly doing that would see that it would not be good to ruin a child's only known life just so they could be her parents again.

I don't think they were being selfless at all. The entire event was orchestrated in selfishness on the parents part. To say, "Hey, we can't really afford this kid right now, it's too hard to come up with the money to feed her and us, so let's get rid of her for a few years so we only have to focus on ourselves and then just so get her and tear her away from everything she's ever known to come live with us again" is about as selfish as you can get.

Now before everyone goes off on me for not know what their circumstances really were, let me finish.

If it truly was a selfless act in which they knew they would not be able to adequately care for the child, they would only be viewing the events from the child's point of view and not putting their own feelings and emotions into it. I think anyone that is truly doing that would see that it would not be good to ruin a child's only known life just so they could be her parents again.

that's an interesting perspective that i had not considered before.

I had essentially typed the exact same thing before.

There are people in Africa, Haiti, China, all over the world and even the U.S. in utter poverty who still care for their children. I've seen women feed their kids grub worms. I disagree with the outlook of the He's that made them give their child up due to lack of money, especially in America where the presence of the world's most active system of charities can be seen in every population center.

i'm glad y'all brought that up. this is why i love threads like this -- to find things i've never touched before. very interesting brain food.

i personally do not know how in the world they could give up their baby...i don't think i could ever do that, regardless of what we were going through. i would just die, i really would.

i'm glad y'all brought that up. this is why i love threads like this -- to find things i've never touched before. very interesting brain food.

i personally do not know how in the world they could give up their baby...i don't think i could ever do that, regardless of what we were going through. i would just die, i really would.

Real parents would never give up their child.

So when it has a heart beat inside of a womans body and has every attribute of a child but hasnt come out yet it is not a life form?

It's life if it is a living cell.

It's not a functioning form unless it can do so outside the womb.

Oh gosh... we're going to derail this thread.

Quite a pickle. I'm glad I don't have to be a judge in this case. Either way I'd rather take the time to read the actual cade opinions cited that simply go on the wikipedia version. The bathroom wall of the internet just doesn't cut it for me when the court's opinions are readily available. :fly: