another one

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
so what do y'all think about the story of the chinese parents who gave their child up for temporary adoption because they could not afford to be good parents at the time and then came back for her years later? they gave her to a couple under a vague temporary adoption contract and wanted her back like three years later. she's now like 8 or 11 and the adoptive parents are fighting for custody with the biological parents. i just can't make my mind up on how i feel about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Mae_He

so what do y'all think about the story of the chinese parents who gave their child up for temporary adoption because they could not afford to be good parents at the time and then came back for her years later? they gave her to a couple under a vague temporary adoption contract and wanted her back like three years later. she's now like 8 or 11 and the adoptive parents are fighting for custody with the biological parents. i just can't make my mind up on how i feel about it.

That's so stupid there should be no take backs! Think of how messed up that kid is going to be after home hopping.

seems pretty morally ambiguous to me. rights of the biological parents, rights of the adoptive parents, rights of the child... very confusing. i'm even surprised to hear they were able to draw up a temporary adoption contract legally

my gut says the kid stays with the adoptive parents until the legal age of majority, when they decide for themself.

Last edited:
Feather or SQUISHI?

DOTS OR FEATHERS

The chinese people were fucking retarded, and the other people were even more retarded for taking them up on the offer. Regardless of what you decide later on; giving up your kid constitutes will abandonment.

seems pretty morally ambiguous to me. rights of the biological parents, rights of the adoptive parents, rights of the child... very confusing. i'm even surprised to hear they were able to draw up a temporary adoption contract legally

my gut says the kid stays with the adoptive parents until the legal age of majority, when they decide for themself.

i simply cannot come up with a side to be on on this one. adoptive parents have had her for years and have brought her this far, but the biological parents are just that, and desperately want their child back and gave her up for selfless reasons. i don't know what to think.

lol, I just confused children with chattels... Though...

Last edited:
i simply cannot come up with a side to be on on this one. adoptive parents have had her for years and have brought her this far, but the biological parents are just that, and desperately want their child back and gave her up for selfless reasons. i don't know what to think.
i'll tell you what to think: "damn am I ever glad I'm not the judge of this case"

So much bad shit has happened all through the ages and I truly feel it has not gotten worse, its just easier to read about.

READ BELOW FOR SARCASMO'S SMART PERSON VERSION!!!!!!

Last edited:

The issues in this case are complicated, made even moreso by the sheer emotion involved, presumably from both sides.

Regardless how it has played out in the past, I think that, at 8 years old, the girl is old enough at this point to know who she wants to live with. I believe the law in Texas stipulates the child be 12 to make the decision, but let's be honest. 8....12....what's the real difference when a kid's stability and sense of security are at stake? I think if both sets of parents truly had the child's wellbeing in mind they would simply consult with her and let her decide. This ordeal will likely have prolonged emotional effects on Anna Mae, and unfortunately those concerns usually take a backseat when adults lose focus and perspective and put their energy into simply 'winning'.

The conclusion of the Wikipedia article, wherein Mr. Baker uses her as a political pawn, disgusts me to the core. That in particular is a profoundly personal issue for me.

So much bad shit has happened all through the ages and I truly feel it has not gotten worse, its just easier to read about.

I think you are absolutely right. In general the frequency of this sort of thing increases proportionally with the population, while advances in technology bring greater exposure. I honestly don't think too much has fundamentally changed though.

Last edited:
No you dumbass. Change the post BELOW my post where you quoted me and said "Thanks for putting into big words...."

It bugs me that you can see my revised post and then the badly worded original post right under it.

:lol: