Halp Android devices

The best camera is the one you've got on hand. Suffice to say 99% of my picture taking is with my camera phone.

Just got back from newfoundland and there was a few occasions I wish we brought the DSLR, mostly for taking pictures of birds.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
3) Zoomy stuff like taking pictures of birds in trees from a distance. Hard to beat big glass for that stuff.
4) Being able to adjust aperture/shutter/zoom/focus/whatever across a bunch of controls with your fingers while looking through the viewfinder while you're setting up a shot... doing that same shit on a cellphone screen is a pain in the ass.
99% of what I'm doing is macro (which is apparently like telephoto but in reverse?) & I know that if I had a legit camera and legit macro lens and knew what I was doing, I could get some bomb ass photos & even fuck around with stacking, but I don't have the base knowledge necessary for all of the settings (I've looked it up, but it just will not stick in my head), and the shots I get with my phone are "good enough" to where I don't think I would personally manage to do any better with a real camera, though I can acknowledge that someone who knew what they were doing totally could. #4 for real tho, I do have a "pro" setting on my current phone camera that lets you tweak things like ISO, but it's not very easy to use quickly like having physical dials/buttons are, & I've never done a better job with my tweaks (which again, is on me) except fucking around and taking 50 attempts to get a single shot of a sunset that approximates what I seent with my eyes

99% of what I'm doing is macro (which is apparently like telephoto but in reverse?) & I know that if I had a legit camera and legit macro lens and knew what I was doing, I could get some bomb ass photos & even fuck around with stacking, but I don't have the base knowledge necessary for all of the settings (I've looked it up, but it just will not stick in my head), and the shots I get with my phone are "good enough" to where I don't think I would personally manage to do any better with a real camera, though I can acknowledge that someone who knew what they were doing totally could. #4 for real tho, I do have a "pro" setting on my current phone camera that lets you tweak things like ISO, but it's not very easy to use quickly like having physical dials/buttons are, & I've never done a better job with my tweaks (which again, is on me) except fucking around and taking 50 attempts to get a single shot of a sunset that approximates what I seent with my eyes
Apparently these are macro-ish?

Apparently these are macro-ish?

yeah tbh I don't need the camera itself to do great macro stuff in terms of focusing because I've got clip on lenses that are going to fuck with the focus anyway, but it would be nice if it did ok enough with that without the lenses because I don't always have them on hand.

here's two unedited pics I took with my phone of the same lady that are similar shots - top is with the 2x lens that's part of my phone*, bottom is with the regular/main 1x phone lens and clip-on macro lens (I CAN clip it on the 2x as well, but it's ULTRAzoomy so there won't be anything comparable & the DOF is crazy small)
20211102_142647.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
here's two unedited pics I took with my phone of the same lady that are similar shots - top is with the 2x lens that's part of my phone*, bottom is with the regular/main 1x phone lens and clip-on macro lens (I CAN clip it on the 2x as well, but it's ULTRAzoomy so there won't be anything comparable & the DOF is crazy small)
View attachment 15187
So much more photogenic than my boogers.

@august So I'm sure @APRIL can actually show you how well the camera actually works. But here's a couple of shots I just took. Both shots were taken at the exact same distance.

4x https://photos.app.goo.gl/NZuJUK2vsYGueKjx7
ptY2GvV.jpg

.7x https://photos.app.goo.gl/imR3E8HYKMv4hy9U6
yUYNV1K.jpg

edit: Added Google Photos link in case Imgur compression fucks it up.

So, I totally get that the convenience factor of a camera phone.

And I appreciate the effort the software guys have put in to make those pictures look better than a photo with vaseline smeared over it too.

If that's your thing, jam on.

I just find it silly the way some kids around here strut around when they've got the "best" camera phone on the market. But then again, I also think Joe Rogan is a moron and Dave Chappelle isn't that funny.
post your very best DSLR photo.