And so it begins...again

CletusJones said:
Yes, but we're not doing that in our schools. They're teaching all this happy go lucky bullshit there. If public schools were actually about education, I wouldn't have an issue. It's the teachers trying to push their PC values on everyone's children that I have an issue with. If and when I ever have children, they're going to a private school where I have some say over what they learn and how they learn it. I'm not really all that religious and I'd actually prefer to have my kids go to some form of parochial school.

:hi2u:
My children will go to public schools because I doubt I could afford private schools, plus I turned out just fine. Unless the schools are so basackwards and fucked up beyong all resemblance to an actual school, talking to your children and playing with them should always be worth more then anything they learn in a school.

BigDov said:
Having what I've been told are "some of the most well-mannered children I've ever seen" I resent that remark, but know exactly what you're talking about.
:heart: i knew there was a reason I liked you. I extend my sincerest apologies to you, it seems as though you are the exception to the rule.

Just the other day there was some little kid throwing cans in the grocery store. I got hit with one. I went over to him and told him to stop it, that he could hurt someone. He told me to fuck off, then his mother did the same. I couldn't take it anymore, I let her have it in the middle of the grocery store. I made a huge scene and when I was done ranting, I actually heard someone clap.

BigDov said:
Is that what it is?? That makes me feel better....... would you guys care if I moved to Texas?
They don't like hippie lovers in texas.

CletusJones said:
:heart: i knew there was a reason I liked you. I extend my sincerest apologies to you, it seems as though you are the exception to the rule.

Just the other day there was some little kid throwing cans in the grocery store. I got hit with one. I went over to him and told him to stop it, that he could hurt someone. He told me to fuck off, then his mother did the same. I couldn't take it anymore, I let her have it in the middle of the grocery store. I made a huge scene and when I was done ranting, I actually heard someone clap.
:lol:

Thats an extreme example I would say. Parenting has sort of swung too far left in some circles, to the point that some of us are afraid to discipline our children.

oh noes, they're putting forward an alternative theory to our current one which doesn't even come close to completely explaining the origin of life as we know it!

on an ideological level, i say creationism should be taught alongside Darwinism. just like in philosophy class: you can give differing points of view on the same subject. it's not as if stuff like macroevolution is even close to fact, so why treat it as such?

on a practical level, the hard part comes in when you get into the actual material. aka, which point of view of creationism would they take? parallelism? scriptural geologists'? at least there is some form of agreement among the evolutionists on the major tenets. making creationism anything but a footnote during the lecture would bring even more chaos to the situation than anything else.

BigDov said:
all it's doing is raping them of their innocence.
Perhaps part of the problems in our society come from parents who want to keep their kids in the dark for too long. Your kids are going to encounter alternative lifestyles at a young age whether you like it or not. If you take your offspring to the mall and they see two guys being affectionate, what're you gonna do when they ask about it? Lie? Tell them something that sounds good? Or would you rather they at least have a modicum of education on the subject so they don't have to ask questions, so they understand and aren't biased against the choices other people make?

We hide too much from kids. All this crap being done to "protect the children, we have to protect the children" is fucking bullshit. No, I've never had kids. But like all of you I was a kid at some point and some things were obviously good for my developement and some things were obviously bad for it. So just because someone isn't a parent doesn't mean they don't get a say in what happens in schools. You think it only affects parents? No, the way your kids and all other kids their age act and think two decades from now will affect my life. Thus, I have as much of a right to determine what your child gets taught in a public school as you do.

CletusJones said:
true.dat

I'm actually really upset that we're catering to so many special interest groups and minorities already. If something offends you, you should stay the hell away from it, or grow some thicker skin. The problem today is that we try to make everyone happy. In theory this is a fabulous idea, but in practice, what makes one person happy will make another upset. We, as a nation, need to tell all these whiney assholes to get over it or get out. Fuck catering to everyone. I want to eat meat, shoot stuff, smoke everywhere, drive a gas guzzling vehicle, and tell everyone else to fuck off. That's what America was founded on - freedom.
why is your freedom anymore important than anyone else's?

BigDov said:
I'm not gonna argue with you either, but you need to come to Oregon sometime and have your eyes opened for you :)

:heart:
How so? I'm not looking for an argument, but there's nothing wrong with healthy debate :p

Eyes opened how? Don't get me wrong, I understand that no school and no local government is perfect and they could be seriously fucking up your kids. I don't doubt that, but there are a few basic principles that should remain constant. No religion and no politics in public schools unless specifically chosen by the students.

Pancake Wagon said:
My children will go to public schools because I doubt I could afford private schools, plus I turned out just fine. Unless the schools are so basackwards and fucked up beyong all resemblance to an actual school, talking to your children and playing with them should always be worth more then anything they learn in a school.
In all honesty I'm not sure I will be able to afford private schools either, but when that day comes I know it'll be something that I weigh very heavily.

Interacting with your kids is very important, but unfortunately it seems like there are many people out there who don't have the time for that anymore. They just plop the kid in front of a PC, TV, or game console. That's what the problem is, kids getting their values from TV.

Harper said:
why is your freedom anymore important than anyone else's?
it isn't more important. I should have the freedom to do those things, just as you should have the freedom to tell me you don't like it or move to another location - just as I would do if our roles are reversed.

Kabn said:
on a practical level, the hard part comes in when you get into the actual material. aka, which point of view of creationism would they take? parallelism? scriptural geologists'? at least there is some form of agreement among the evolutionists on the major tenets. making creationism anything but a footnote during the lecture would bring even more chaos to the situation than anything else.
Exactly, which version of creation do you go with?

I took a class in high school that dealt exactly with this. We studies evolution, creationism from the christian viewpoint, a mix of the two, and even a little alien seeding. It was quite a good class. But, I doubt you could find the time in everyone's high school career to dedicate an entire class to just this subject.

CletusJones said:
true.dat

I'm actually really upset that we're catering to so many special interest groups and minorities already. If something offends you, you should stay the hell away from it, or grow some thicker skin. The problem today is that we try to make everyone happy. In theory this is a fabulous idea, but in practice, what makes one person happy will make another upset. We, as a nation, need to tell all these whiney assholes to get over it or get out. Fuck catering to everyone. I want to eat meat, shoot stuff, smoke everywhere, drive a gas guzzling vehicle, and tell everyone else to fuck off. That's what America was founded on - freedom.
Exactly. And those same freedoms should allow a couple of gay guys to marry, yet most people who say what you do (I'm not saying you are, just using your comments as an example) feel that freedom shouldn't extend to things that don't coincide with close minded "values" based on archaic religions.

BigDov said:
And yes, don't teach my kids about sexuality for me thanks, I'll handle it.
You're right, they shouldn't be taught about sexuality. But they should be taught to be open minded about the choices other people make in their lives.

CletusJones said:
In all honesty I'm not sure I will be able to afford private schools either, but when that day comes I know it'll be something that I weigh very heavily.

Interacting with your kids is very important, but unfortunately it seems like there are many people out there who don't have the time for that anymore. They just plop the kid in front of a PC, TV, or game console. That's what the problem is, kids getting their values from TV.
If you have the children, you have to take the time to spend with them. If you can't, do have them to begin with.

CletusJones said:
it isn't more important. I should have the freedom to do those things, just as you should have the freedom to tell me you don't like it or move to another location - just as I would do if our roles are reversed.
If you are causing bodily harm upon me, I am well within my right to ask you to leave.

Kabn said:
you can give differing points of view on the same subject. it's not as if stuff like macroevolution is even close to fact, so why treat it as such?
what the fuck??

evolution has research to support it

creationism has the bible

creationism has as much a place beside evolution as scientology

FlyNavy said:
How so? I'm not looking for an argument, but there's nothing wrong with healthy debate :p

Eyes opened how? Don't get me wrong, I understand that no school and no local government is perfect and they could be seriously fucking up your kids. I don't doubt that, but there are a few basic principles that should remain constant. No religion and no politics in public schools unless specifically chosen by the students.

I get too worked up for the debate to be healthy for me, that's all :D

This state tends to be way too liberal for my tastes is all. When my oldest daughter went to public school, no pledge of allegiance, teaching about alternative lifestyles, drugs, etc, and this was in kindergarten. That's just fucking wrong.

I wish that they could find the happy medium around here, that's all. :(

Didn't mean to be snippy either man, sorry :heart: