And so it begins...again

They need to put someone in charge of the school systems at the Federal Level who can say "fuck you" to all the special interests. Reading, Writing, Arithmetic. Thats what should be focused on. Lets turn it into a competition with the rest of the world, who has the smartest kids. Education, to me, is the key to almost all of our current problems. Education reduces crime, reduces hate, reduces bias and cultural differentiation.

Astounding. If I was a judge and had this case in my court I think Id take the stupid party out the back and give them a good backhand.

Violence aside I can't imagine what it's like for American kids having all that bullshit shoved down their throat day in day out, I never liked people telling me what to think the in slightest, atleast I know I dont have it bad in my school. :)

ieyeasu said:
They still do, but please think, beyond the god bit--which was introduced in the 1950's--about why you want children to take a binding oath.

They don't, as a matter of course. In fact, the specifics of any lifestyle--other than the heterosexual one--are not taught in public schools unless one takes a human development class in highschool. What is taught is tolerance.

Dude, I'm not gonna argue with you about it, really. I find nothing wrong with saying the pledge, binding oath or not. We as humans tend to forget and gloss over our history way too much, and a simple reminder like that pledge is good for us.

As far as the second topic, we fight EVERY fricking vote in this state whether or not we allow alternative teachings in our schools. In my opinion, it is not teaching my children tolerance, it's teaching them about a lifestyle that I personally don't feel it's okay to be teaching them at a young age. I'm sorry. Until you have school-age kids of your own (unless you already do) you're not going to understand why I feel like all it's doing is raping them of their innocence.

BigDov said:
Dude, I'm not gonna argue with you about it, really. I find nothing wrong with saying the pledge, binding oath or not. We as humans tend to forget and gloss over our history way too much, and a simple reminder like that pledge is good for us.

As far as the second topic, we fight EVERY fricking vote in this state whether or not we allow alternative teachings in our schools. In my opinion, it is not teaching my children tolerance, it's teaching them about a lifestyle that I personally don't feel it's okay to be teaching them at a young age. I'm sorry. Until you have school-age kids of your own (unless you already do) you're not going to understand why I feel like all it's doing is raping them of their innocence.
I thought she said it wasn't taught till they were older. I don't think any lifestyle, be it hetero, homo, or something else entirely, should really be taught, period. Leave it up to the parents.

BigDov said:
Exactly. I fear for the state of this country when we have to worry about offending somebody by saying the Pledge Of Allegiance.
true.dat

I'm actually really upset that we're catering to so many special interest groups and minorities already. If something offends you, you should stay the hell away from it, or grow some thicker skin. The problem today is that we try to make everyone happy. In theory this is a fabulous idea, but in practice, what makes one person happy will make another upset. We, as a nation, need to tell all these whiney assholes to get over it or get out. Fuck catering to everyone. I want to eat meat, shoot stuff, smoke everywhere, drive a gas guzzling vehicle, and tell everyone else to fuck off. That's what America was founded on - freedom.

Pancake Wagon said:
I thought she said it wasn't taught till they were older. I don't think any lifestyle, be it hetero, homo, or something else entirely, should really be taught, period. Leave it up to the parents.

Not around here it's not. Like I said, it's a fight every time there's something to vote on- do we introduce this curriculum into the primary schools or not? It's bullshit.

And yes, don't teach my kids about sexuality for me thanks, I'll handle it.

CletusJones said:
true.dat

I'm actually really upset that we're catering to so many special interest groups and minorities already. If something offends you, you should stay the hell away from it, or grow some thicker skin. The problem today is that we try to make everyone happy. In theory this is a fabulous idea, but in practice, what makes one person happy will make another upset. We, as a nation, need to tell all these whiney assholes to get over it or get out. Fuck catering to everyone. I want to eat meat, shoot stuff, smoke everywhere, drive a gas guzzling vehicle, and tell everyone else to fuck off. That's what America was founded on - freedom.

America
FUCK YEAH!

CletusJones said:
true.dat

Public schools, by definition, need to cater to everyone. The easiest way to do that is to strip their function down to a basic level, ie education, and remove all the fluff.

And your smoke kills me, please do it somewhere else. Thanks.

CletusJones said:
true.dat

I :heart: you Cletus, in a very non-homosexual way. This needs to be preached loud and strong :)

Pancake Wagon said:
Leaving it up to the parents brings up another issue alltogether. Most parents don't really "parent" their kids anyway. They just let the little bastards run around all over and do whatever.

Pancake Wagon said:
Public schools, by definition, need to cater to everyone. The easiest way to do that is to strip their function down to a basic level, ie education, and remove all the fluff.

Yes, just like you said before- reading, writing, arithmetic. Throw a little phyical activity in there too, so we can get away from the obesity in children and I'm a happy guy.

:heart:

BigDov said:
Not around here it's not. Like I said, it's a fight every time there's something to vote on- do we introduce this curriculum into the primary schools or not? It's bullshit.

We need to stop worrying about that shit and just make sure the little bastards can read and write when they get out of school. That really sucks when kids don't learn basic things but they can tell you about Sally and her two mommies.

BigDov said:

I don't have a problem with sex ed at the basic level. Everything taught there should be discussed between parents and kids anyway.

CletusJones said:
Leaving it up to the parents brings up another issue alltogether. Most parents don't really "parent" their kids anyway. They just let the little bastards run around all over and do whatever.

Having what I've been told are "some of the most well-mannered children I've ever seen" I resent that remark, but know exactly what you're talking about.

ieyeasu said:
They still do, but please think, beyond the god bit--which was introduced in the 1950's--about why you want children to take a binding oath.

They don't, as a matter of course. In fact, the specifics of any lifestyle--other than the heterosexual one--are not taught in public schools unless one takes a human development class in highschool. What is taught is tolerance.
You make a good point. Back in the day people used to look down on Russians for making children pledge an oath to their communist leaders...yet we've been doing it for half a century. I don't have a problem with the pledge being lost; I rarely said it myself. If kids want to say the pledge, let them. On their own time. If they want to pray in school, let them. On their own time.

Religion and politics do not belong in school, EVER. School is for education, nothing more.

Also, you're right on the second point. What school goes out of its' way to teach about alternative lifestyles? None, they simply teach tolerance of them.

Desslock said:
We need to stop worrying about that shit and just make sure the little bastards can read and write when they get out of school. That really sucks when kids don't learn basic things but they can tell you about Sally and her two mommies.

Exactly.

BigDov said:
Yes, just like you said before- reading, writing, arithmetic. Throw a little phyical activity in there too, so we can get away from the obesity in children and I'm a happy guy.

And some cooking. I want my kids to make me meals and crap that taste good.

FlyNavy said:
You make a good point. Back in the day people used to look down on Russians for making children pledge an oath to their communist leaders...yet we've been doing it for half a century. I don't have a problem with the pledge being lost; I rarely said it myself. If kids want to say the pledge, let them. On their own time. If they want to pray in school, let them. On their own time.

Religion and politics do not belong in school, EVER. School is for education, nothing more.

Also, you're right on the second point. What school goes out of its' way to teach about alternative lifestyles? None, they simply teach tolerance of them.

I'm not gonna argue with you either, but you need to come to Oregon sometime and have your eyes opened for you :)

Pancake Wagon said:

Yes, but we're not doing that in our schools. They're teaching all this happy go lucky bullshit there. If public schools were actually about education, I wouldn't have an issue. It's the teachers trying to push their PC values on everyone's children that I have an issue with. If and when I ever have children, they're going to a private school where I have some say over what they learn and how they learn it. I'm not really all that religious and I'd actually prefer to have my kids go to some form of parochial school.

BigDov said:
I :heart: you Cletus, in a very homosexual way. This needs to be preached loud and strong :)
:hi2u:

BigDov said:
I'm not gonna argue with you either, but you need to come to Oregon sometime and have your eyes opened for you :)

Oregon just helps balance out Texas.