And so it begins...again

S

smileynev

...http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/11/30/MNGVNA3PE11.DTL

Cyclical like everything else in life, the right wing zealot conservative religious folk are pushing to force their beliefs on others in our schools. While I do actually agree with the idea that a higher power had influence on the development of our universe, I don't like that these groups are pushing this theory as a means to get creationism back into our schools.

god made cake. god made cheese.

Pancake Wagon said:
...http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/11/30/MNGVNA3PE11.DTL

Cyclical like everything else in life, the right wing zealot conservative religious folk are pushing to force their beliefs on others in our schools. While I do actually agree with the idea that a higher power had influence on the development of our universe, I don't like that these groups are pushing this theory as a means to get creationism back into our schools.

god made cake. god made cheese.

And man made cheesecake, and it was good.

I'd rather have the right wing zealots push some beliefs into the schools than the liberal shitheads pushing their "Johnny Has 2 Daddies" shit on my kids :)

BigDov said:
I'd rather have the right wing zealots push some beliefs into the schools than the liberal shitheads pushing their "Johnny Has 2 Daddies" shit on my kids :)
religion does not belong in schools. neither does politics for the most part, including the agendas of every right wing cocksmoker and left wing liberal ball licker.

Pancake Wagon said:
religion does not belong in schools. neither does politics for the most part, including the agendas of every right wing cocksmoker and left wing liberal ball licker.

Note I said "some", not all. :) I think it's wrong that kids can't say the Pledge Of Allegiance before school starts anymore; I think it's wrong that it's okay to teach about an "alternative lifestyle" to kids in the 1st grade; I'm right there with you man- we don't need EITHER influence in the schools, it's just a shame that this country is so fucking wacko that people get all sue-happy when they feel their beliefs aren't being preached to their kids, whether it's a conservative or liberal viewpoint. As a parent, I'm just sick and fucking tired of this battle being fought in the classroom.

shutting up now

BigDov said:
Note I said "some", not all. :) I think it's wrong that kids can't say the Pledge Of Allegiance before school starts anymore; I think it's wrong that it's okay to teach about an "alternative lifestyle" to kids in the 1st grade; I'm right there with you man- we don't need EITHER influence in the schools, it's just a shame that this country is so fucking wacko that people get all sue-happy when they feel their beliefs aren't being preached to their kids, whether it's a conservative or liberal viewpoint. As a parent, I'm just sick and fucking tired of this battle being fought in the classroom.

shutting up now
Since the kids are in school with federal funding, they damn well better be pledging allegiance.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Since the kids are in school with federal funding, they damn well better be pledging allegiance.

Some parents find it offensive that their children have to say it regardless of who's funding the school. Remember, I live in Oregon- land of the liberal hippy- as much as I love this place, the people here really suck serious ass.

BigDov said:

shutting up now
I thought they could say the pledge of allegiance. When I was in elementary school we all said it except for this one chick. I think she was mormon or something.

Pancake Wagon said:
I thought they could say the pledge of allegiance. When I was in elementary school we all said it except for this one chick. I think she was mormon or something.

In the public schools around here, it does not get said anymore. We're sending our kids to a private school right now, and they're allowed to say it. Go figure.

Forrest Dump said:
first they let negros into the schools, then faggots, now religion?
What the hell is this country coming to?

Yeah. Keep the negros out of our schools. Burn the faggots.
Amen.

BigDov said:
In the public schools around here, it does not get said anymore. We're sending our kids to a private school right now, and they're allowed to say it. Go figure.
private schools can do whatever they want, you're paying out of pocket for it. Either way though, I think the pledge should be said every day in elementary school. The kids should know it and if they don't say it, it'll get "lost."

I always thought school was a place where kids could learn.
Nowadays it seems like more of a battleground for religous zelots and political activists to force their moral convictions on our children.

CletusJones said:
private schools can do whatever they want, you're paying out of pocket for it. Either way though, I think the pledge should be said every day in elementary school. The kids should know it and if they don't say it, it'll get "lost."

Exactly. I fear for the state of this country when we have to worry about offending somebody by saying the Pledge Of Allegiance.

Forrest Dumplin' said:
I always thought school was a place where kids could learn.
Nowadays it seems like more of a battleground for religous zelots and political activists to force their moral convictions on our children.

BigDov said:

shutting up now

BigDov said:
Note I said "some", not all. :) I think it's wrong that kids can't say the Pledge Of Allegiance before school starts anymore;

They still do, but please think, beyond the god bit--which was introduced in the 1950's--about why you want children to take a binding oath.

I think it's wrong that it's okay to teach about an "alternative lifestyle" to kids in the 1st grade;

They don't, as a matter of course. In fact, the specifics of any lifestyle--other than the heterosexual one--are not taught in public schools unless one takes a human development class in highschool. What is taught is tolerance.