And so it begins...again

Pancake Wagon said:
Please, do go on.
it's been a while since i read in-depth, but i'll give a recap after lunch if anyone's really interested.

Pancake Wagon said:
I'm all for gay civil unions. I'll leave the marriage part up to the churches. Equal rights for all.....except the canadians.
i'd be up for that if marriage wasn't recognized by the state and fed gov. seperate but equal is too flawed.

FlyNavy said:
Nah, you weren't being snippy. There was no heat behind what I said, I was generally curious. I've never been to Oregon :cool: :p

I do agree that certain things should be kept out of school until certain ages. In my eyes, alternative lifestyles should be taught to the point of "Some people make different choices. If you want to know more about them, ask your parents." Same with drugs. "If someone offers you drugs, say no. Talk to your parents about it."

Basically I just don't want teachers to be forced to go "I'm sorry but we can't talk about that in school." Give the kid basic information and then tell them to go to their parents for more. I really hate the way this country places blame on everything and everyone save for the parents. I truly believe that the media, government, violence in video games, all that other bullshit isn't contributing to the downfall of society; it's the lack of parenting. Many parents refuse to take responsibility for their spwan and it sickens me.

You seem to be one that doesn't and while I don't agree with your views, I am however thrilled that you seem to actually care about your kids' development and are being the parent they require.

As far as the pledge goes, I'm iffy on it. To be honest, I didn't mind taking a couple minutes out of the day to say it or listen to everyone else say it. Maybe the teachers should be given the choice? If one doesn't want her class to say it, they don't. If another chooses to have her class say it, they do. There's probably too many problems with that setup though....meh, I dunno. To me the pledge is not that big of a deal.

Yes, I agree with that 110%, but unfortunately that's not what happens. Instead I get a kid coming home next to tears wondering about what they were teaching in school that day, rather than just asking me about it. Very disappointing. Your second point is another one that bothers me too- I DON'T want teachers to be forced to NOT say anything either, but rather the freedom to say, "go ask your parents about this or that" That's way more acceptable to me than force-feeding the kids whatever comes down the pike.

I'm definitely NOT one to blame the decline of this country on anything other than parents not giving a shit about their children. People seem to want to take the easy road out of parenting and let Sesame Street raise their kids, then Pokemon, then whatever, and I'm just not that way. Never will be either- both of us go out of our way to do whatever we can with the kids. It's just too important not to.

hahaha, you don't have to agree with my parenting or views at all man. Diversity and differences is what makes the world go 'round, right? :) I'm just trying to do what I feel is right and hopefully have them ready for the harsh, cruel world coming at them.

I'd say give the teachers the choice and let it go at that :) My opinion on the matter doesn't really matter much though, and will probably never change anyone else's stance on it. I'm not dead-set on that being part of the day either, it's just disappointing that they're not even given the choice.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Well yeah, but as far as the government is concerned for tax/health/etc. reasons it should be treated the same.
yessir.

Harper said:
i'd be up for that if marriage wasn't recognized by the state and fed gov. seperate but equal is too flawed.
unions are recognized by the state and feds. Doesn't matter what religion, if religion is in fact involved at all.

NeedMoreEmo said:
Yeah I was wondering why Christians don't just say God planted Dinosaur skeletons in the earth for us to puzzle over.

I read a great scifi story before where the main characters job was to plant the fake dinosaur bones for that very reason. They would terraform worlds and add in stuff like that so the primates would have no clue an advanced civilization set it up as an experiment. Great story but I can't remember the name or the author. I'll have to flip through my books at home later to see if I can find it.

Pancake Wagon said:
unions are recognized by the state and feds. Doesn't matter what religion, if religion is in fact involved at all.
see, that depends on what union and where you are. in VA, they just passed a law that can basically be read as "it is illegal to have two men in contractual agreement with each other." which, is just bullshit if i want to buy a used car.

Harper said:
see, that depends on what union and where you are. in VA, they just passed a law that can basically be read as "it is illegal to have two men in contractual agreement with each other." which, is just bullshit if i want to buy a used car.

They are no longer recognized in Oregon either.

Harper said:
I thought you were a chick?

When I have kids, instead of subjecting them to the public school system , I think Ill just drop them off at the bus station with a $20 pinned to their shirts and say "good luck!" as I drive away.

Forrest Dumplin' said:
When I have kids, instead of subjecting them to the public school system , I think Ill just drop them off at the bus station with a $20 pinned to their shirts and say "good luck!" as I drive away.

Tough love, sweet!! :D

Pancake Wagon said:
I thought you were a chick?
i am. I was just using the guy reference as an example. its states that no two people of the same sex can be in contractual agreement with one another.... let me try to find the exact wording...

b_sinning said:
I read a great scifi story before where the main characters job was to plant the fake dinosaur bones for that very reason. They would terraform worlds and add in stuff like that so the primates would have no clue an advanced civilization set it up as an experiment. Great story but I can't remember the name or the author. I'll have to flip through my books at home later to see if I can find it.
That was also part of HGTTG

BigDov said:
Are you? :eek:

I understand all you're saying and then some. Like I said before, as a parent I've got issues with how my babies are socialized sometimes, that's really the issue in a nutshell for me :)

Yep, Washingtonian, born and bred.

ChikkenNoodul said:
I'm all for gay marriage, equal rights NOT special rights I say.
Bingo. Everyone should get treated equally. No affirmative action, no scholarships for minorities, no special names for gay marriages. Everyone gets the same treatment no matter what.

Kabn said:
there is a lot to support microevolution and natural selection. we have nuclear and carbon dating to place the earth as much more than six thousand years old. the problem comes when people make the jump from that to shaky-at-best "research" and ever-changing theories about the origins of life and call it solid fact.

i don't know how life started for sure. neither do you or the scientists. but i see evidence for intelligent design all around me. the confusing part is that most of the evidence for intelligent design can also be called evidence for evolution.

i've done a decent amount of study on the subject, and i've come out a parallelism creationist. i've yet to see solid, factual evidence that convinces me we emerges from random proteins floating in water.
ok, understandable

but in my eyes I don't see anything sthat supports intelligent design. of course, in science, nothing can be proven, only disproven. so i guess most people will never agree on it. but I don't see any sorts of research, theory or otherwise, that supports creationism or intelligent design