Amoxicillin is a hell of a drug.

Sarcasmo

A Taste Of Honey Fluff Boy
Mar 28, 2005
Austin
Marklar
₥663
I went in to have a broken tooth filled last Thursday. After poking at it for a while and causing nifty explosions of light across my vision, my dentist prescribed a week's worth of amoxicillin to kill what he was 95% sure was a slight infection that was affecting the sensitivity of the nerve. It's the nerve that connects that particular tooth directly to the part of my brain that makes me seize up and pass out whenever it is touched, even after 4 or 5 anesthetic injections.

I went back this past Thursday upon the conclusion of the amoxicillin therapy and completed the root canal. At times it was staggeringly painful, usually in brief half-second bursts that made me black out as he accidentally scraped against the nerve with pointy metal things. In the end though it went smoothly and my reconstructed tooth is now awesome and pain free.

And now I'm awake at 1 a.m. covered in a horribly, itchy rash that started to break out about 3 hours ago. As any intelligent person would do I immediately consulted Dr. Google (Polo's phone goes straight to voicemail and he is notorious about returning those) and discovered page after page of message board threads detailing this same reaction in countless other people. All after having taken amoxicillin for 7-10 days. Awesome. So anyway, I'm off to browse Ebay for sandpaper sheets. In some cases this bullshit lasted for 3 or 4 days.

Just a heads up to anyone taking amoxicillin now or if the subject ever comes up in the future. Maybe ask about a probiotic to take along with it to avoid becoming a walking, itchy petri dish.

Ciao.

Last edited:
Man, that sucks. I've never had to take amoxicillin that I remember and luckily didn't have that reaction when my kids did.

oh man. :( you poor thing!!! don't let the rash just spread...you call your doc or urgent care if it gets any worse!!!

and take a bath in oatmeal if you're itchy!

i hope you feel better soon...are you going to call the doc/pharmacy to see if there's anything to counteract the reaction? it WOULD have to happen on a weekend!!

aww :heart:

My sister had a very bad reaction to it last week. She had a rash, tightness in her chest, shortness of breath and had to go to A&E. Apparently that's normal.

I'm sure what you call A&E, we call the emergency room, but Im trying to figure out what it stands for.