AMD buys ATi for $5.4B (unified thread!)

As much as it will pain me to do so, I guess my next vid card purchase will be an ATI card to go with my AMD cpu. Though "intergration" won't begin to occur until 2008, what's to prevent ATI from inserting "If cpu=amd then gpu performance + 10%"-type commands into their video card drivers?

SpyderGST said:
As much as it will pain me to do so, I guess my next vid card purchase will be an ATI card to go with my AMD cpu. Though "intergration" won't begin to occur until 2008, what's to prevent ATI from inserting "If cpu=amd then gpu performance + 10%"-type commands into their video card drivers?

someone will find it while dissecting the drivers or it would get leaked somehow

why_ask_why said:
someone will find it while dissecting the drivers or it would get leaked somehow
true but optimization can be done many ways. honestly, I don't see a problem with it. if ATI chooses to make its' products perform better with AMD procs its' their prerogative. if the consumer doesn't like it the consumer can shop elsewhere. I don't care how limited the market is, the company ought to have the freedom to engineer its' products as it sees fit