AMD buys ATi for $5.4B (unified thread!)

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
Marklar
₥0
So, its been a rumor for a while, but its official this morning. So, what do you think this will mean for the computer industry? ATi was also providing chips for the X360 and the Wii, so how will it change the future of consoles?

AMD, ATI and You...

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~110899,00.html

what the shit man! will Intel have an illicit affair with nVidia? Will it become a battle between two united fronts? Will they start making games only run on one video chipset (since nVidia is halfway there allready) to boost sales of hardware? Will AMD not leave ATI with enough funds to compete with nVidia?

so many questions...

...should have bought that AMD stock years ago when it was $14 a share? :confused:

wtf thread merge. 4 min late on posting...

Last edited:
ceiling fly said:
Holy shit. That's interesting. A sort of vertical PC monopoly. :cool:
It makes me wonder if AMD is finally going to close the gap on what's the biggest advantage Intel has (had) in my mind, which was their motherboards. Intel chipset motherboards are on average much more badass than AMD, mainly because they used to leave it up to 3rd parties to crank them out. Now, no more. Hell, integrated graphics might not actually suck on one of these boards.

The thing I wonder is this the right time for this? AMD just got leapfrogged big time by Intel. Anyone who wants to argue that can explain why they slashed prices by 50% on all current models. Anywho, shouldn't they be putting it into R&D to strike back instead of buying a graphics chip company?

FlyNavy said:
there goes the future of nforce...

why? because it got the snot beat out of it by "A-Force"? :)

I think that's a brilliant move for AMD, imho
they could accomplish some crazy things throwing in on die high end vid capabilities

theacoustician said:
It makes me wonder if AMD is finally going to close the gap on what's the biggest advantage Intel has (had) in my mind, which was their motherboards. Intel chipset motherboards are on average much more badass than AMD, mainly because they used to leave it up to 3rd parties to crank them out. Now, no more. Hell, integrated graphics might not actually suck on one of these boards.

The thing I wonder is this the right time for this? AMD just got leapfrogged big time by Intel. Anyone who wants to argue that can explain why they slashed prices by 50% on all current models. Anywho, shouldn't they be putting it into R&D to strike back instead of buying a graphics chip company?
Anything that AMD started today to beat Intel wouldn't come out of R&D for months or years likely. Combine that with the fact that I'm sure this merger will be insulated, for the most part, from R&D (at least initially) and I think you have a company poised for some really interesting things ahead.

AMD and ATi really are the little guys in this game. I'm glad to see them joining forces.

bast_imret said:
I always preferred my AMD/nVidia pariring over ATi.

me too BUT, ATI has made major strides in keeping par with anything nVidia offers over the past couple years so they are a legit player every bit as much as nVidia these days...and at a much greater value in terms of acquisitions

why_ask_why said:
why? because it got the snot beat out of it by "A-Force"? :)

I think that's a brilliant move for AMD, imho
they could accomplish some crazy things throwing in on die high end vid capabilities
I agree. I just hope this doesn't mean loss of support for current nforce/amd products in the future.

FlyNavy said:
I agree. I just hope this doesn't mean loss of support for current nforce/amd products in the future.

Would be stupid on AMD's part. Their main focus will be ATi, but you can't neglect a possible half of the market share.

FlyNavy said:
Larger companies have made worse decisions. :(

at the very worst I would assume they are contractually obligated to maintain support through some date way out on the horizon

Will this have a big impact on IBM? Remember, 2 of the 3 consoles have their graphic chips developed by ATi and all three have processors developed by IBM. Do you think AMD could wedge themselves into the X360 and Wii or their next gen. counterparts?

Coqui said:
While true, AMD has to make up for what the Conroe will be doing to them.

AMD has been keeping their moves pretty close to the chest lately so I would suspect their is something coming soon