Am I crazy?

Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski

Clam whisperer
Oct 15, 2004
Robin Hood Country
Marklar
₥14,345
Today I decided that instead of going to an alright college (college here is from 16-18) and doing Economics, English etc. I will be going to a pretty crappy college to study "Music Practice" which is basically making songs, playing your instrument in a studio and learning about the music industry. This has made my dad scream at me all day about how I'm going to waste my life and end up working at McDonalds.

Am I doing the right thing choosing to do something I really love instead of doing something that will be guranteed to make me $$$?

I think your better off doing something you love doing then doing something you think might be cool, cos eventually your going to enjoy it more and stick at it. i mean whats the point of doing something where you loose interest halfways through, you'll only end up messing up and throwing the whole course down the toilet.

If you perservier at something long enough your bound to get a job, thus $$ in the end.

Drool-Boy said:
Do something practical first, then do something you want to do.
Otherwise youll end up working a crappy labor job like I do.

PS - I went to art college like a :tard:

But if I do something "practical" I'll end up doing that for 2years, which will turn into 4 more years of uni, plus 2years of working plus a whole lifetime until I'm wrinkly then realise that I could have been a famous rock star. And if I go back and do it all the cuet guys will be too young for me. :(

Nemo said:
But if I do something "practical" I'll end up doing that for 2years, which will turn into 4 more years of uni, plus 2years of working plus a whole lifetime until I'm wrinkly then realise that I could have been a famous rock star. And if I go back and do it all the cuet guys will be too young for me. :(

just get your masters the first time and then teach music. its about the only way that you can be sure that you'll make some money.

SpangeMonkee said:
just get your masters the first time and then teach music. its about the only way that you can be sure that you'll make some money.

I don't want to teach music, I'm not actually that great a guitar player yet. I just want to learn how to jam and make records and then see where life takes me instead of following the same formula that most people do. I just can't see myself in some cube.

Nemo said:
Edit: I can see where my dad's coming from being angry at me but to the people with kids: wouldn't you be supportive instead of abusive? :lol:

If you were my daughter, I'd push you towards the masters degree. it would teach you more of the art with also giving you a foundation to fallback on.

it's ok to live out your dreams as well as be practical.

SpangeMonkee said:
If you were my daughter, I'd push you towards the masters degree. it would teach you more of the art with also giving you a foundation to fallback on.

it's ok to live out your dreams as well as be practical.

Firstly I'm English so wtf is a masters? Secondly I can't even read sheet music so there is no way in hell I'm going to get a degree in music. I figure I could do this course which is about at my level, then in another 2years I could do a higher course, then another one until I have a degree and can produce music in studios.

No, you're not crazy. I would encourage you to go for something practical, but I wouldn't push it too hard. FWIW I'm running into a similar situation with my daughter. She hasn't made her mind up yet for sure, but whichever direction she goes I will try to support her.

DW said:
No, you're not crazy. I would encourage you to go for something practical, but I wouldn't push it too hard. FWIW I'm running into a similar situation with my daughter. She hasn't made her mind up yet for sure, but whichever direction she goes I will try to support her.

You're a great mom :heart: Adopt me?

I can honestly say I don't know of any of my friends parents who would scream at their kids for wanting to choose something like this. I can see him not quitting until I'm eventually forced to move out.

Nemo said:

I can honestly say I don't know of any of my friends parents who would scream at their kids for wanting to choose something like this. I can see him not quitting until I'm eventually forced to move out.

My kids seem to think I'm a good mom, I try anyway :heart:

I remember all too well being a teenager, and having my own ideas of what I wanted to do, but no one wanted to listen. I went my own direction, and even though I am not entirely happy with the way my life has gone I am glad I chose my own path.

OK, that's enough serious talk from me for one day :p

DW said:
My kids seem to think I'm a good mom, I try anyway :heart:

I remember all too well being a teenager, and having my own ideas of what I wanted to do, but no one wanted to listen. I went my own direction, and even though I am not entirely happy with the way my life has gone I am glad I chose my own path.

OK, that's enough serious talk from me for one day :p

Atleast they appreciate you. My mom's kinda cool like that, she'll sit by and let you do what you like and I know not to take advantage of it. :cool:

They're listening, my dad just likes to think he's a control freak or something. When I don't do something he likes to takes it out on me and tell me I'll fail at it. Maybe he's just bitter because I'm happy?

</serios>

Nemo said:

Oh my parents probably would have done the same if I had told them that. Sorry you're dad gave you such an earfull tho. I'm sure he just wants you to have a good future (as we all do :heart: ), he just doesn't know the best way to tell you or motivate you.... :(

Pandora said:
Can you not take any music courses while you study Economics??? I kinda took the practicle route, but I was also able to take a lot of classes on the things that I liked as well.

The music practice is a full-time course so if I want to have a part time job to afford food etc. I won't have to time to take any other subjects.

Pandora said:
Oh my parents probably would have done the same if I had told them that. Sorry you're dad gave you such an earfull tho. I'm sure he just wants you to have a good future (as we all do :heart: ), he just doesn't know the best way to tell you or motivate you.... :(

Yeah he wants me to have the future he never did have. He's like...almost 50, unemployed, has no money and no way to afford a pension for the rest of his life and he's convinced I'll do the same. You'd think after him shouting at me for years and getting nothing but shit right back he'd try another way of getting me motivated. Infact the fact it'll send him insane if I take this course is more of an insentive to take it.

Edit: That last sentence sounded typical teenage angst. I want to do this for me because I enjoy it, but if I can be successful then put up my middle finger and disown him after, it'll be more satisfaction than I'll ever need. :fly:

Last edited:
No 14 year old knows what they want to do with the rest of their life, so don't worry about it. Just keep doing the things that really interest you, but make sure you're passionate about it. If you do that, you'll figure it out. If you just do things half assed, you will get half assed results.

theacoustician said:
No 14 year old knows what they want to do with the rest of their life, so don't worry about it. Just keep doing the things that really interest you, but make sure you're passionate about it. If you do that, you'll figure it out. If you just do things half assed, you will get half assed results.
I was looking forward to your input until I realised you don't even remember my age.