All you IT Geeks.... Advice Pls?

theacoustician said:
If it runs stable and you're only having keystroke issues, then you can clean it and it should be right as rain. Just pop the keys off, use 99% iso alcohol and a qtip to clean off any goop you find, and you should be good.

Thank you very much! You prob just saved me a couple hundred bucks. :D

Well, after about a week of it actually running, just had to get around using the number keys, I thought I had a solution to the problem last night after talking with Fly.

Buy a new keyboard, and he'll install it. They sell them new on ebay for $30.00.

Went to go turn on the laptop last night so Shawn could watch a DVD for school... no go. Fired off for about 2 minutes, turned itself off, and it never came back on. :(

As i said, I use it alot for work purposes. I can answer the office phone from my home via the laptop, along with mutiple other tasks that are crucial to my job and require quite a bit of space and memory to run. With all that being said, I have been given the green light to order a new laptop from Dell (which we have an account with) and I would like some suggestions on what people who have Dell Laptops like or dislike about them. I currently have a Compaq which I was happy with, and have a Dell desktop at the office.

Any suggestions?

Candy said:
Well, after about a week of it actually running, just had to get around using the number keys, I thought I had a solution to the problem last night after talking with Fly.

Buy a new keyboard, and he'll install it. They sell them new on ebay for $30.00.

Went to go turn on the laptop last night so Shawn could watch a DVD for school... no go. Fired off for about 2 minutes, turned itself off, and it never came back on. :(

As i said, I use it alot for work purposes. I can answer the office phone from my home via the laptop, along with mutiple other tasks that are crucial to my job and require quite a bit of space and memory to run. With all that being said, I have been given the green light to order a new laptop from Dell (which we have an account with) and I would like some suggestions on what people who have Dell Laptops like or dislike about them. I currently have a Compaq which I was happy with, and have a Dell desktop at the office.

Any suggestions?

Dam puters!

I have a Dell lat D600 - not real impressed. seems slow for what I need it for (emails, developer tools, term serv to unix, web applications). Get as much memory as you can possible afford - it's on the company so spend the money.

i've got an older dell inspirion 2600 and it runs winxp/loonix great for simple office type things and a bit of code monkey/web work. i like dell laptops.

i agree with gottoys, memory is probably the most important factor, try to get at least 512meg and windows will run much smoother.

I've heard the Dell 'consumer' laptops are crap

I was quite fond of my last Latitude C610 or 660 whatever it was, it served me well for 3 years. I'm not too happy with my replacement Latitude, though it's mostly Intel's fault not Dell's (I FUCKING HATE CENTRINO) everything else is somewhat nicer except for the damn CPU, but the 2GB of RAM is awfully nice :p