Thread All new 2019 Super Duper Sperm thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albuquerque banned single-use plastic bags some time ago (then postponed implementation b/c COVID made everybody paranoid about sterility). The stores addressed it by making bags out of plastic that's 2 mils thick, and calling them "reusable". The city council adjusted the law so that it's now 4 mils thick, made of textile, with stitched handles.

Which brings me to today, when I heard some dipshit whining this morning that "mils" as thickness for bags in the new city ordinance was a conspiracy to force us onto the metric system.

I didn't have the heart to tell him a "mil" is 1/1000 of an inch.

Yeah, that shit confuses me too and even though I consider myself an idiot, I don’t consider myself on the same level of idiocy as those idiots. A mil isn’t a millimieter, but it sure looks like a mil is a millimeter when you read “a mil”. It’s like the crazy Europeans did it to confuse everyone intentionally, and stick their fuckin noses a little higher up each others’ asses or something.

The last couple of years I was employed were spent trying to explain that to receiving clerks on docks all over the Pacific NW, and I didn’t fully understand it myself. It’s a good thing I knew lots of boiled meat jokes and thinly-veiled threats about “kicking their asses 200 years ago” that got me through those explanations in one piece without either of us learning anything at all from them, period.

Yeah, that shit confuses me too and even though I consider myself an idiot, I don’t consider myself on the same level of idiocy as those idiots. A mil isn’t a millimieter, but it sure looks like a mil is a millimeter when you read “a mil”. It’s like the crazy Europeans did it to confuse everyone intentionally, and stick their fuckin noses a little higher up each others’ asses or something.

The last couple of years I was employed were spent trying to explain that to receiving clerks on docks all over the Pacific NW, and I didn’t fully understand it myself. It’s a good thing I knew lots of boiled meat jokes and thinly-veiled threats about “kicking their asses 200 years ago” that got me through those explanations in one piece without either of us learning anything at all from them, period.
Latin. Mille is 1000 in Latin. Like millennium. MM is mille of meter. Mil is mille of inch. Nothing to do with us kicking their asses. maybe :)
It is weird but the alternative is "thow" for 1/1000". We used that in tool & die, " plus or minus a thow".

Morning immi!

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
qam1niqk2lz71.jpg

@kiwi I highly recommend Vallejo game color and model color.
And I use Army Painter, also very good but you have to shake the hell out of the little bottles to mix the pigments if it sits too long.
Citadel is good but I'm not thrilled with the paint pot containers, they can be tricky to reseal.
But their washes (extremely thin paint for shading and highlights) are top notch.

• Gravy
  • Love
Reactions: kiwi and wetwillie
oh boy, karen's at it again walking up and down the street looking for shit to call the city about.

Good thing all my bullshit's in check.
I had reason to think about this again. My oldest step-daughter and the SIL just bought a new house, I saw it yesterday. Problem - they are super slobs with their yard and were in a <$100k house for last 11 yr. His mom reveals she had some money set aside for him to buy a house, so they blow the wad on a $350k home with an association. They think they had neighbor problems before? - Lawd have mercy!! :lol:

Too bad you don't have a "backfire" switch in your car, do drive-by bangs on ol Karen, then just
I Have No Idea Shrug GIF
and wave. :)

I had reason to think about this again. My oldest step-daughter and the SIL just bought a new house, I saw it yesterday. Problem - they are super slobs with their yard and were in a <$100k house for last 11 yr. His mom reveals she had some money set aside for him to buy a house, so they blow the wad on a $350k home with an association. They think they had neighbor problems before? - Lawd have mercy!! :lol:

Too bad you don't have a "backfire" switch in your car, do drive-by bangs on ol Karen, then just
I Have No Idea Shrug GIF
and wave. :)
I do have a backfire switch in my car. It happens all the time when it's cold because I don't have a choke hooked up to the carburetors.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
@kiwi I highly recommend Vallejo game color and model color.
And I use Army Painter, also very good but you have to shake the hell out of the little bottles to mix the pigments if it sits too long.
Citadel is good but I'm not thrilled with the paint pot containers, they can be tricky to reseal.
But their washes (extremely thin paint for shading and highlights) are top notch.
Perfect thanks!

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings
Status
Not open for further replies.