Thread All new 2019 Super Duper Sperm thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, if anybody gives a fuck and needs a tax credit for the year, the supercomputing challenge (forgive the vintage f'n website, we're run by volunteers) just lost its main pillar of funding (because the director of LANL retired, and the challenge was his pet project, he knew exactly which trees to shake and now he doesn't have that access anymore). I know an emergency on my part doesn't count as an emergency on your part, so I'll totally understand if you don't care, but I've advocated for diversifying fund sources for a couple years now knowing that LANL's management was going to change when the contracts changed, but there was no real motion until now, when roughly half the funding is missing for 2019-2020.

At any rate, here's the rundown: SC is a program to help kids learn how to apply modeling and simulation on a computational level to problems that they would like to investigate in the real world. It's a STEM enrichment program, and kids from all over New Mexico participate, from rural to urban. I serve as a volunteer mentor and judge. Though I mostly pay my own way, it's difficult to convince people with the right background to help out in the far reaches of the state without giving them things like a place to stay.

It's a 501(c)3 org, so anything you give is tax deductible at the end of the year. Roughly 30% of the funds are eaten by labor costs for our core staff of 4 part-timers, though with the budget tightening, that's likely to be less this year.

Anything helps. If you've made it this far, I thank you for your attention.

Hey, if anybody gives a fuck and needs a tax credit for the year, the supercomputing challenge (forgive the vintage f'n website, we're run by volunteers) just lost its main pillar of funding (because the director of LANL retired, and the challenge was his pet project, he knew exactly which trees to shake and now he doesn't have that access anymore). I know an emergency on my part doesn't count as an emergency on your part, so I'll totally understand if you don't care, but I've advocated for diversifying fund sources for a couple years now knowing that LANL's management was going to change when the contracts changed, but there was no real motion until now, when roughly half the funding is missing for 2019-2020.

At any rate, here's the rundown: SC is a program to help kids learn how to apply modeling and simulation on a computational level to problems that they would like to investigate in the real world. It's a STEM enrichment program, and kids from all over New Mexico participate, from rural to urban. I serve as a volunteer mentor and judge. Though I mostly pay my own way, it's difficult to convince people with the right background to help out in the far reaches of the state without giving them things like a place to stay.

It's a 501(c)3 org, so anything you give is tax deductible at the end of the year. Roughly 30% of the funds are eaten by labor costs for our core staff of 4 part-timers, though with the budget tightening, that's likely to be less this year.

Anything helps. If you've made it this far, I thank you for your attention.
Step one needs to be making donations easier. Like fuck

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
that is a 10 fucking minute fix man.

It might be a 10 minute fix, but it's gonna take a month's work of pestering to get access to the web hosting.

• Sad
Reactions: wetwillie
Status
Not open for further replies.