Ontopic Alcohol Blog - Post when you're drinking!

Because the sea is kind of dirty these days and frequently has more shit in it than the table salt which is typically mined. And no iodine - most people of your generation have never seen a goiter, the most common side effect of insufficient iodine. Gross AF. Iodine deficiencies cause chronic fatigue and developmental delays in children because your thyroid gland gets fucked. Been dragging ass? - get some iodine, stat.
The anti-caking additive is just calcium and silicon. SIlicon is the eighth most common element in the universe - you'd die and your body would literally disintegrate without it.
My generation? If we got a goitre we just had a dinosaur eat it. In truth they're really rare here and have been since the early 20th century. I also eat around twice as much fish as the average American so iodine isn't a problem. Also, sea salt DOES contain iodine, just lower amounts than are added to table salt.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Jehannum
My generation? If we got a goitre we just had a dinosaur eat it. In truth they're really rare here and have been since the early 20th century. I also eat around twice as much fish as the average American so iodine isn't a problem. Also, sea salt DOES contain iodine, just lower amounts than are added to table salt.
They were very common until the mid to late 60's here - I had 2 elementary school teachers that had them. Sea salt contains less than 1/3 what most table salt has. A 4 ounce serving of fish, at best, has about 15% of your RDA. Lower fat fish or lake/farm fish have much lower amounts.
Iodine is kinda like folic acid - few people think about it but it's been put into every bread product for the last 20 years(USA). Estimated to spare 10k children per year from being born with spina bifida in the USA.

Last edited:
They were very common until the mid to late 60's - I had 2 elementary school teachers that had them. Sea salt contains less than 1/3 what most table salt has. A 4 ounce serving of fish, at best, has about 15% of your RDA. Lower fat fish or lake/farm fish have much lower amounts.
Iodine is kinda like folic acid - few people think about it but it's been put into every bread product for the last 20 years(USA). Estimated to spare 10k children per year from being born with spina bifida in the USA.

I'm not in the USA. Most of our fish is from the sea, almost none is from lakes or rivers. The most popular being cod (3 oz roughly 50% of RDA and a common serving is 8 oz). The most common cause of iodine deficiency here is veganism or low dairy diets.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I'm not in the USA. Most of our fish is from the sea, almost none is from lakes or rivers. The most popular being cod (3 oz roughly 50% of RDA and a common serving is 8 oz). The most common cause of iodine deficiency here is veganism or low dairy diets.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Ok, sorry I assumed you were just talking generic fish - that's GREAT that you have access to so much ocean fish available(ironically, I had cod last night). And yeah, that's one of the fish that has a higher than average amount.
VEganism? Every vegan I know seems to salt the hell out of their veggies. Or use tons of nutritional yeast. "Stop goitering around - give a vegan a shaker of salt" :) Peace

Ok, sorry I assumed you were just talking generic fish - that's GREAT that you have access to so much ocean fish available(ironically, I had cod last night). And yeah, that's one of the fish that has a higher than average amount.
VEganism? Every vegan I know seems to salt the hell out of their veggies. Or use tons of nutritional yeast. "Stop goitering around - give a vegan a shaker of salt" :) Peace

Who the fuck kind of vegans are you meeting that put salt all over their vegetables? That's weird as shit. Nutritional yeast is good though.

Anyway I'm drinking piss again @Mustard Dispenser

• Gravy
Reactions: Mean Mr. Mustard
A surprising number of people can't cook for shit, and I'm sure this includes vegans.
Possibly more often bad cooks than the average. They've restricted the foods they will consider and most were raised on stereotypical "meat & potatoes" diets with the heavy reliance on meat & salt to bring the flavor. Many of them also haven't familiarized themselves with much of what's available. I know a few who are great cooks but they were great cooks before they "turned"* and they work hard to bring the flavor regardless of what's to be used.
*Yes, Zombie reference just for fun.

If something big like that goes down, and I can't get 11 pounds of frozen chicken wings from Costco, AND my phone doesn't work. I'd want to die anyway.
You should live here in Albuquerque.

Shit goes down, and Albuquerque will be nothing but a smoking hole in the ground. No need to prep for the apocalyptic wasteland when you're living in the #1 first strike target.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and fly
I was fortunate to grow up in an area where targets were 100+ miles away in 3 directions and pretty much nothing worth hitting in the 4th until you got way out there.

We didn't even have hide under your desk drills. Just fallout shelter triangle signs and which buildings were supposed to be the good ones.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I was fortunate to grow up in an area where targets were 100+ miles away in 3 directions and pretty much nothing worth hitting in the 4th until you got way out there.

We didn't even have hide under your desk drills. Just fallout shelter triangle signs and which buildings were supposed to be the good ones.

I've always lived close to major targets.
Guess my parents figured if it's gonna happen better make sure they get all of us at once.

• Haha
Reactions: HipHugHer
We didn't even have hide under your desk drills.

By the time you were of that age, there was a better understanding of the impact of @nukes as well as @nukes developed that your desk wouldn’t provide shelter from anyway, as if a desk ever could. It was a pacifier to keep kids from being constantly freaked out and wondering why they need to learn math if they’re all gonna die. And leave a shadow where their meatsack was.

• Gravy
By the time you were of that age, there was a better understanding of the impact of @nukes as well as @nukes developed that your desk wouldn’t provide shelter from anyway, as if a desk ever could. It was a pacifier to keep kids from being constantly freaked out and wondering why they need to learn math if they’re all gonna die. And leave a shadow where their meatsack was.

This is mostly true. Kid in the 70s, teen in the 80s.

Not so sure about the powers that be "realizing their error" in what would protect you from a nuclear bomb and what wouldn't though.
When I grew up and joined the army we did lots of NBC drills (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical). They told us if we saw the flash we were supposed to drop to the ground face down, head towards the direction of the flash.
Apparently they thought our helmets were so good they would shield us from the blast then we could get up and go kill some ruskies.

Personally I think it was just so it'd be easier to fit you in the body bag if by some stroke of luck you were still somewhat intact and hadn't completely turned to ash.

This is mostly true. Kid in the 70s, teen in the 80s.

Not so sure about the powers that be "realizing their error" in what would protect you from a nuclear bomb and what wouldn't though.
When I grew up and joined the army we did lots of NBC drills (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical). They told us if we saw the flash we were supposed to drop to the ground face down, head towards the direction of the flash.
Apparently they thought our helmets were so good they would shield us from the blast then we could get up and go kill some ruskies.

Personally I think it was just so it'd be easier to fit you in the body bag if by some stroke of luck you were still somewhat intact and hadn't completely turned to ash.

The military has a long-ass history of feeding false promises to their pawns to instill confidence in their gear and abilities. It happens outside of military also, but they rely on it.

• Gravy
The military has a long-ass history of feeding false promises to their pawns to instill confidence in their gear and abilities. It happens outside of military also, but they rely on it.

Eh, gotta have some kind of reaction other than just stand there with your finger in your ass I guess.

I don't remember being really oversold on much stuff. Didn't tell us our m16's were actually death rays or anything.

The hum-v at least back then was a piece of shit, mostly due to the 80s era GM diesels. The bigger trucks had stuff that was made by people who knew how to make a diesel.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant