Ontopic Alcohol Blog - Post when you're drinking!

Does that help you do anything in particular, or are you just graphing things that you'll never look at?
It does actually!

First, I get to make sure that the fermentor temps are correct. The fermentor measures the air temps in there, but the yeast generate heat, so I can better control the actual wort temps now.

Also, it allows us to (hopefully) nail our final gravity. Sometimes there's still some residual sugar in there that the yeast could eat, but we want to stop them so that sugar can be used to add body to the beer. Previously, we would have had to constantly open and check it. Not only is that a pain in the ass, but you're also exposing it to additional oxygen and possible contaminants.

It's also an indicator that the yeast are done. Previously, we'd just wait 2-3 weeks and keg. Now I'll know on day 11 (for example) that we can start chilling the beer.

It does actually!

First, I get to make sure that the fermentor temps are correct. The fermentor measures the air temps in there, but the yeast generate heat, so I can better control the actual wort temps now.

Also, it allows us to (hopefully) nail our final gravity. Sometimes there's still some residual sugar in there that the yeast could eat, but we want to stop them so that sugar can be used to add body to the beer. Previously, we would have had to constantly open and check it. Not only is that a pain in the ass, but you're also exposing it to additional oxygen and possible contaminants.

It's also an indicator that the yeast are done. Previously, we'd just wait 2-3 weeks and keg. Now I'll know on day 11 (for example) that we can start chilling the beer.
See, now this is the kind of automation that makes my dick hard.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and wetwillie