Ontopic Alcohol Blog - Post when you're drinking!

Fractional distillation:
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/phaseeqia/nonideal.html

bpcompn1.gif

The azeotrope at 95.6% is why you can't distill pure ethanol.
Are you like smart or somethin?

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and nukes
Ethanol boils at a lower temp than water, mixture of both boils at the point along blue curve corresponding to % composition and creates a vapor (and resulting distillate) with % composition equal to the point on the purple curve directly horizontal from boiling point. Repeat for increased % alcohol. At 95.6% alcohol there is "nowhere to go" since the curves intersect, so that is as pure as you can distill.

bpcompn3.gif

Damn transparency

Ethanol boils at a lower temp than water, mixture of both boils at the point along blue curve corresponding to % composition and creates a vapor (and resulting distillate) with % composition equal to the point on the purple curve directly horizontal from boiling point. Repeat for increased % alcohol. At 95.6% alcohol there is "nowhere to go" since the curves intersect, so that is as pure as you can distill.

bpcompn3.gif

Damn transparency
You can buy a 30 dollar molecular filter that will take out that last 4 percent

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

• Gravy
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister
You can buy a 30 dollar molecular filter that will take out that last 4 percent

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
When Everclear isn't enough.

And if you have hours to spend filtering through activated charcoal you can make a shit vodka a good vodka.

Holy shit!

So we made an imperial version of our orange cream Belgian wit, called Orange Mandy. Not only did the beer finish in two weeks, but its 9.7%. Oh, and it's delicious.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
Blue laws are so dumb.

Can't serve booze till noon or one or something in Augusta Georgia, and the only reason they serve at all is the golf tournament. Fro years there was no final round with booze.
My grandfather used to go to the Masters some years, and he said he had to bring a flask along!

I had a glass of 1792 whiskey with a Millennium Falcon-shaped ice cube.

Now I'm watching a documentary on the Freemasons, and it's fuckin' fascinating.

Not a huge fan of 1792, but I'm just trying to kill the bottle, so I can justify getting some more knob or bulleit.