zengirl

If I had a dollar might give ya 99
Oct 15, 2004
Marklar
₥100
Aibo

What do you know about these? Anything?

We're considering getting one. :fly:

It's the best compromise to more pets we could come up with at this time.

I know I've wanted one for a very long time, but they're too expensive. The latest generation is clever enough to find it's charging station when its batteries are low.

Welcome to 6 years ago.

Edit : apparently they're neat if you're a gadget geek, but no replacement for a real animal.

itburnswhenipee said:
I know I've wanted one for a very long time, but they're too expensive. The latest generation is clever enough to find it's charging station when its batteries are low.
Yes, and they recognize 3 owner's faces (via .jpg) You can remotely connect to them and use a function to actually see through their eyes. It's housesititng mode.

http://www.aibo-life.org/index_info.shtml

theacoustician said:
Welcome to 6 years ago.

Edit : apparently they're neat if you're a gadget geek, but no replacement for a real animal.
We have 5 cats and a tarantula. We can't have any more live animals in the house :fly:

And the technology for this unit is fairly upgraded, I would venture to say it far surpasses anything from 6 years ago.

zengirl said:
SchmilK's sister got one of those last year, apparently they're useless :fly:

Really? I've heard very good things about roombas also. Why, I even have been led to believe that the latest generation is clever enough to find its own charging station when it finishes its cycle.

Also: They're meant for 'maintenance' cleaning. You let the little bastard loose after giving the room a good vacuuming and it's supposed to keep it clean from there.

itburnswhenipee said:
Really? I've heard very good things about roombas also. Why, I even have been led to believe that the latest generation is clever enough to find its own charging station when it finishes its cycle.

Also: They're meant for 'maintenance' cleaning. You let the little bastard loose after giving the room a good vacuuming and it's supposed to keep it clean from there.
Yeah, the Aibo self charges, and does all kinds of other things. We want to have it before our trip so while we're on our cruise, we can go online and use housitter mode to check up on Mike to make sure he's cleaning the cat boxes properly

Michelle got one for herself and one for their parents, SchmilK's mom said it kept runnin into the furniture and would only clean one spot, over and over, it didnt' go aroudn the room. It's now in a box in their basement

zengirl said:
Yeah, the Aibo self charges, and does all kinds of other things. We want to have it before our trip so while we're on our cruise, we can go online and use housitter mode to check up on Mike to make sure he's cleaning the cat boxes properly

So you want it to spy on your roommate? That's kinda fucked up.

itburnswhenipee said:
So you want it to spy on your roommate? That's kinda fucked up.
:lol: You can record messages and play them too... so while we're away, we can record a message to Mike, and send the Aibo into his room to tell him... I imagine that'd freak him out, huh? :lol::lol::lol:

zengirl said:
We have 5 cats and a tarantula. We can't have any more live animals in the house :fly:

And the technology for this unit is fairly upgraded, I would venture to say it far surpasses anything from 6 years ago.
I'm talking about the newer ones. Its a badass toy, but not as good as having a real animal. There's supposed to be a hellva hacking community out there for these things and you can make them do all kinds of neat stuff. I'll see if I can find the review I read on the most recent model.

The latest software upgrade for aibo actually remembers were obstacles are so insetad of bumping into it and turning, it avoids it all together...

On top of that...theres peeps that are playing soccer wtih these things! FORE REALY IT'S FREAKIN HILLARIOUS!!!!

http://www.tzi.de/4legged/bin/view/Website/ImagesVideos2005

I can't tell what programming was done to get them to play this, or if it's all real time controlled from the user..

AAAND, there's a media player so that the dog will play mp3/wav/cd from your computer (via 54g wireless network) through the dogs speaker and it will dance while it does it.

AAAND it will sync with outlook and remember up to 30 appointments for the day and notify you of them...and you can use it as an alarm clock.

AAND they save their own web blog for the day with a picture of something that set a mood for them for the day...not sure how that works or what, but here's an example. LOL

http://www.dingoaibo.vnunetblogs.com/dingo_dayz/

AAAND :heart: :heart: Sarah :heart: :heart: is sooo fucking cool that she's actually excited about this! :D OMG YEEEESSSSS!!!!!!! But she won't let me go buy one today and return the one that i got being shipped to me...she's making me wait...although i dind't make her wait after i got her the ring on tuesday....i TRIED...and even though i said i DIND"T get it, she knew i did, and i had no strengths agaist her. hee he ehee

And yes...this came out 2 years ago...but sicne then the've upgraded and fixed the few problems they had...through new servos and new software...

theacoustician said:
I'm talking about the newer ones. Its a badass toy, but not as good as having a real animal. There's supposed to be a hellva hacking community out there for these things and you can make them do all kinds of neat stuff. I'll see if I can find the review I read on the most recent model.

Here's a good hacker

http://aibohack.com/ers7/index.html

They even have a Cartman personality LOL