AH want to buy this

theacoustician said:
I know people get tired of me asking this, but what exactly are you going to use this for? If you just want something portable that you can surf the internet on and do some basic office apps, you could get away with buying a much cheaper laptop. If its a replacement to your main system, then yeah, you'll probably need more than a $500 laptop has to offer.

well it will pretty much replace my desktop aside from watching television and movies. i can write it off if i use it to work from home, which is now entirely feasible for me. i really dont want to even bother attempting it with my current pc. and someone is trying to get me into gaming. aside from that, i have the money and i wont have to replace it anytime soon.

I'd stay away from it, apparently they can't even find the item.

KNYTE said:
I got the Gateway MX7525 at BestBuy for $1199.

AMD 64 Mobile 4000+
1GB of RAM
100GB HD
X600 128mb gpu
DVDRW Dual layer

I'll have it at the meat, you're welcome to check it out if you haven't purchased something by then.

Kiwi's got an older Emachine (basically a Gateway clone) with an AMD64 as well. It's about two years old and we've never had any problems with it.

i was hoping to purchase one before then, i wanted something for the trip. it seems mr yoda cleaned them out...to spite me he will, yeeesss, mmm.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7628613&type=product&id=1130986342926

that's not bad

Last edited:
thrawn said:
i was hoping to purchase one before then, i wanted something for the trip. it seems mr yoda cleaned them out...to spite me he will, yeeesss, mmm.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7628613&type=product&id=1130986342926

that's not bad
Just a few things
1. Understand that this is more like a movable desktop than it is a portable. 7.5lbs? That's a monster. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it is when you have to carry it all over creation. Might not be a bad thing though if you don't have to carry it every day.

2. Also know that with a 4000+ processor, your battery life is not that great. Dunno if that matters or not.

3. You can save some dough by getting the same thing without MCE 2005 as your OS. It doesn't have a TV tuner in it, so MCE is sorta a waste. Just get regular XP.

4. If you're going to use it for gaming, I'd invest in a docking station and a separate mouse. Trying to play any game that requires keyboard and mouse at the same time is impossible otherwise. Might even want a bigger monitor to plug it into when its docked. That one is kinda up to you.

theacoustician said:
Just a few things
1. Understand that this is more like a movable desktop than it is a portable. 7.5lbs? That's a monster. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it is when you have to carry it all over creation. Might not be a bad thing though if you don't have to carry it every day.

I've got that same model, yes it is heavy, I recommend one of the laptop backpacks to haul it around. I use it primarily for a desktop replacement, I'm not carrying it around too much (just between home and work), and don't have much complaint about its weight, but can see how it would get tiresome after a long day.

theacoustician said:
2. Also know that with a 4000+ processor, your battery life is not that great. Dunno if that matters or not.

About 2 hours of active time with everything turned up.

theacoustician said:
3. You can save some dough by getting the same thing without MCE 2005 as your OS. It doesn't have a TV tuner in it, so MCE is sorta a waste. Just get regular XP.

The first night I had it I took Media Center off and put XP Pro on.

theacoustician said:
4. If you're going to use it for gaming, I'd invest in a docking station and a separate mouse. Trying to play any game that requires keyboard and mouse at the same time is impossible otherwise. Might even want a bigger monitor to plug it into when its docked. That one is kinda up to you.

That's one of the things I'm looking into purchasing in the couple of months for when I use it at home. I'm a champion of the docking station cause.

theacoustician said:
Because its an HP and they make notoriously bad desktops/laptops. Oddly enough though, everyone at work seems to love their servers.
One of the IT dudes in my office swears by their wireless print server, but that's about it

KNYTE said:
I'd rather have that new Dell 30incher myself, but I don't do much in graphic arts. That is cool though.
Hold onto your panties, but any day now there's supposed to be the 2407 coming out that replaces the 2405. It has HDCP compliance, fixed the backlight issue, and is supposed to MSRP for under a grand this time, meaning it could probably be had for under $700 playing the coupon stacking game.

Drool-Boy said:
Thats not just a screen, its an interactive pen display.
You draw right on it.
:drool:
Is that the one that has dual touch technology? For those that don't know, dual touch allows the panel to behave differently depending on if fingers are doing the touching or the stylus is doing the touching. Basically, you would have and on-screen keyboard on there and type on it, then pick up the stylus and draw over the keyboard if you wanted. Sorta a useless example, but you get the idea.

theacoustician said:
Is that the one that has dual touch technology? For those that don't know, dual touch allows the panel to behave differently depending on if fingers are doing the touching or the stylus is doing the touching. Basically, you would have and on-screen keyboard on there and type on it, then pick up the stylus and draw over the keyboard if you wanted. Sorta a useless example, but you get the idea.

No, I think it only reacts to the stylus.

kiwi said:
I would also like one of those, but I can't really justify spending the money on it, I'm not sure I would use it enough.

I would use it all the time. And when I wasnt using it, I walk around with it down the front of my pants.

Speaking of the weight issue, that is a huge deal if you are carrying it around. My laptop just kills me if I have to take it very far. My next laptop will have to be under 5 lbs.

SpangeMonkee said:
uggh.. I couldn't use it while its sitting up like that. Why not get a tablet pc and it'd be an all in one package.

Its wireless yo, you can move it to your lap, lay it on the table, or stand on your fucking head in the corner and use it. Plus it does 1600x1200 resolution.
Tell me that aint super fucking sexy.

edit - ok, I just re-read, the display isnt wireless, the pen is (duh) but the display IS made to be used any way you want, standing up, laying flat, or in your lap.

Last edited: