Age of Empires 3

Sarcasmo

A Taste Of Honey Fluff Boy
Mar 28, 2005
Austin
Marklar
₥663
Anyone except for me and Fly play this yet?

First of all, let me just say that both the Home City and the Home City's Inventory and Deck system of cards are friggin' genius. Such simple features, and yet they changed the game completely.

"Cards" are various economic and military improvements that can be shipped to your colony from your home city during the game (British shipments come from London, German from Berlin, etc.). They become available as your home city increases in level, through the earning of experience each time you play as a certain civilization.

You start with various intermediate cards as a level 1 city, and eventually 120 become available for selection, though I'm not sure exactly how many and how often since I haven't played very much yet. But this game has great new strategic features, which should keep it interesting for a very long time. Deciding to choose economic cards and/or military ones will influence not only what your in-game strategy will be, but how effectively you can carry it out.

This is one of those games where you can play for 4 hours and it feels like 10-15 minutes.

Last edited:
It's a flipping badass game. Fly and I have been playing it non-stop... we'll have to do some online tournaments if you think you can handle us. bwahahhahaha

dammit. i'll probably end up buying this after work today.

wtf is it with all the good games coming out at the same time ??! :mad:

i really want to play this but i don't have the time to drop hours and hours a day on a game... well not while i'm playing fear anyway. i've also got quake and b&w2 to play yet

distortedmind said:
wtf is it with all the good games coming out at the same time ??! :mad:

i really want to play this but i don't have the time to drop hours and hours a day on a game... well not while i'm playing fear anyway. i've also got quake and b&w2 to play yet

Quake is absurdly boring and lame. Sell that, take the money you get and buy AOE III. Profit ++

Whizzleteets said:
dammit. i'll probably end up buying this after work today.
WELL worth the money.

The cards that Sarcasmo is talking about... You generate XP in-game by researching technologies, trading posts, and killing other people. With the XP, you slowly move up levels (outside of the actual game) and get to choose a new card every level (Im currently a level 11 city). To make strategy even better, you can only hold 20 cards in your active deck. Basically, you and someone else can play the same country and have vasty different military and economic benefits.

There are also Indians in the game, that you can make friends with and send them to war for you.

Ensemble Studios > *

fly said:
WELL worth the money.

The cards that Sarcasmo is talking about... You generate XP in-game by researching technologies, trading posts, and killing other people. With the XP, you slowly move up levels (outside of the actual game) and get to choose a new card every level (Im currently a level 11 city). To make strategy even better, you can only hold 20 cards in your active deck. Basically, you and someone else can play the same country and have vasty different military and economic benefits.

There are also Indians in the game, that you can make friends with and send them to war for you.

Ensemble Studios > *

AND (I was reading the manual last night) you can also eventually hire mercenaries to fight for you, one of which is Ronin; cool samurai-armor wearing bad asses who can lay out your enemies. I miss the samurai in AOE II. :(

Sarcasmo said:
AND (I was reading the manual last night) you can also eventually hire mercenaries to fight for you, one of which is Ronin; cool samurai-armor wearing bad asses who can lay out your enemies. I miss the samurai in AOE II. :(
wtf

where are the mercinaries? I need the manual. Do the treasures actually serve any purpose, cause getting 50 gold really isn't worth the bother to me...

I cheat when I play. :fly:

I suck at actually going head-to-head with someone and trying to out-military them and crush them into submission. My style of play is very laid back. I like to build cities, grow armies, and gaze down like God on my mighty creation. And THEN leisurely march forth to mow down my opponent. It takes time to get me into my groove and get bored before the killing starts.

So anyway, back to the cheating part. I typically play againt one enemy each match, I give myself a 100% handicap, and I set it on Sandbox difficulty. Basically my enemy has a handful of villagers who go out and chop down trees, and they only ever build about 6 buildings in their town. No waves of enemies sweeping down on my town periodically to wreak havoc, and no one competing with me for control of trade routes. I'm a pussy, I know. :fly:

Eventually I'll get bored with that and try to smite people quickly, but right now it's so much fun experimenting with various deck configurations and whatnot.

fly said:
wtf

where are the mercinaries? I need the manual. Do the treasures actually serve any purpose, cause getting 50 gold really isn't worth the bother to me...

Sometimes you get kick ass ones. I got one last night that raised everyone's hitpoints by 20%. Or maybe it was just my explorer's hp. I can't remember exactly. Some are strategic, some are just resources, and sometimes you'll free someone who's been treed by a bear or tied up by pirates and they join your cause. A settler or two, a french trapper, etc.

Sarcasmo said:
I cheat when I play. :fly:

I suck at actually going head-to-head with someone and trying to out-military them and crush them into submission. My style of play is very laid back. I like to build cities, grow armies, and gaze down like God on my mighty creation. And THEN leisurely march forth to mow down my opponent. It takes time to get me into my groove and get bored before the killing starts.

So anyway, back to the cheating part. I typically play againt one enemy each match, I give myself a 100% handicap, and I set it on Sandbox difficulty. Basically my enemy has a handful of villagers who go out and chop down trees, and they only ever build about 6 buildings in their town. No waves of enemies sweeping down on my town periodically to wreak havoc, and no one competing with me for control of trade routes. I'm a pussy, I know. :fly:

Eventually I'll get bored with that and try to smite people quickly, but right now it's so much fun experimenting with various deck configurations and whatnot.

Turn it up dude, the AI doesn't even test you until moderate. Seriously.

fly said:
Turn it up dude, the AI doesn't even test you until moderate. Seriously.

Have you tried the hardest? I'm curious if it even gives you enough time to do anything or if it just constantly attacks you.

Sarcasmo said:
Quake is absurdly boring and lame. Sell that, take the money you get and buy AOE III. Profit ++

i try before i buy :pandora: :shifty:

i ordered fear today and i've almost finished the game :D

I love the AOE series, and totally plan on buying this game as soon as I have some excess income.

batsdontswim said:
I love the AOE series, and totally plan on buying this game as soon as I have some excess income.

and a computer that doesn't lick taint for money.