Votes: 11 68.8%
  • YES!

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • WHAT?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CHEEZE-WHIZ!

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
God damn that's a bitchy whinefest if I ever read one.

I'm going to go back to this one.

18. I can be sure that if I ask to talk to "the person in charge" I will be facing a person of my race.

Translation: If I have an issue, I don't want to deal with whitey. Some good proof that the black community has it's own racism issues to work out.

No, it means that people of color are underrepresented in positions of power, especially in white collar jobs. It's improving, of course, but it's not where we want it to be.

and this
7. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.

16. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color, who constitute the worlds' majority, without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.

Everyone had better learn about black history, but black people are allowed to remain deliberately oblivious to other races history

Literally all you learn in school is white history, except for one month out of the year in which you learn about black history, which still manages to be whitewashed, and maybe a week on the history of the other races. And that's only in elementary and maybe middle school - once you get to high school, Black History Month is irrelevant.

You know, you really want to start solving the problem. Fix Black on Black crime first. The black community has some serious problems right now, but instead of looking inward, there is a lot of finger pointing outward.

Look, you can't fix the negative effects of ~250 years of slavery, ~110 years of legalized discrimination, and ~50 years of subtle, almost invisible (to the privileged) institutional racism in a few short years. To suggest that the black crime rate is wholly the fault of the black community is being willfully dense, and ignores the mountains of evidence [1] [2] [3] [video=youtube_share;EQACkg5i4AY]http://youtu.be/EQACkg5i4AY[/video] [5] [6] [7] that point to the continued discrimination against people of color.

What do you think happens when your people are legally forced to live in segregated neighborhoods in which few people can get a good job, own a business, go to college, get a loan, and so on? You often get crime and poverty and all the things that come with it (thus shitty neighborhoods, shitty schools, shitty jobs - it's an endless cycle of shit). Poverty and crime beget poverty and crime.

So when legalized discrimination finally does end you are still at a significant disadvantage compared to your average white person, and just to add insult to injury, you still face discrimination and prejudice from people who think that racism is over and that they're the greatest victims of racial discrimination. It takes decades to climb out of this hole alone, except people keep pushing you down and then blaming you for causing your own problems. So you get mad and call them out on it, but they ignore you because ~race card~.

More to the point, I don't understand why you all are nitpicking a list of white privileges instead of simply admitting that yes, white people as a whole have an easier time in America than black people and other people of color. I don't understand why this is even debatable.

So what's your solution then Tex? How do we change people's personal opinions of others?

Affirmative action. Improve education. Economic stimulus. Ending the drug war. Ending sentencing disparities. Promoting greater diversity in the media (commercials, television shows, movies). Better education on American race relations. Promoting integrated neighborhoods and schools. We already do some of these things to varying degrees of success.

Pretty vague ideas, I know. I'm not a policy maker, and you first have to raise awareness before you can fix the problem.

Also, Domon, I don't know any hippies :(. Most of my friends are white male engineering students who skew conservative.

Last edited:
[seriosanswer]

Forcing integrated neighborhoods isnt going to help, it has to occur naturally.

You know where it already does occur naturally? High income neighborhoods. The segregated neighborhoods are often the low income ones. Fixing that requires a core change in the urban culture, where education isnt ridiculed and negative and destructive lifestyles arent glorified. I dont care what color you are, but that culture is a shitty one, which encourages disparity in every sense, financial, educational, living conditions ,etc

Its a far larger problem than the latent racism that may still exist in some hiring situations where some asshole boss discriminates against a dude because he's black.

[seriosanswer]

Forcing integrated neighborhoods isnt going to help, it has to occur naturally.

You know where it already does occur naturally? High income neighborhoods. The segregated neighborhoods are often the low income ones. Fixing that requires a core change in the urban culture, where education isnt ridiculed and negative and destructive lifestyles arent glorified. I dont care what color you are, but that culture is a shitty one, which encourages disparity in every sense, financial, educational, living conditions ,etc

Its a far larger problem than the latent racism that may still exist in some hiring situations where some asshole boss discriminates against a dude because he's black.

Perhaps if you overhauled the 'justice' system (lulz) things would improve, instead of locking every damn black man up you could try and rehabilitate them seeing as it's proven to work rather than just locking them up for a few years and thinking thats changes diddly squat.

I didn't mean forced integration. Like I said I'm not a policy maker -- it's just an idea that I've heard floated around so I don't know how it would be implemented. My mom's high income neighborhood is relatively well integrated, but my dad's middle income neighborhood is really well integrated. The schools are all very diverse. I assume this occurred naturally