Advise a Jonny Foreigner on where to go in North America

F33nX said:
um, they have colder climates there year round, like on mauna loa and stuff. you can go skiing and surfing in the same day on the big island.
It's very "beachy" though, if you know what I mean. I'm not a huge fan of that, just never been my sort of thing :p

Fat Burger said:
Going to the northwest would work well, you could see Vancouver, Seattle and Portland all together. I love all three cities.
Sounds like an idea, though I heard Seattle isn't the nicest place. Very industrial etc.

Galen said:
It's very "beachy" though, if you know what I mean. I'm not a huge fan of that, just never been my sort of thing :p
there's plenty more to do than just sit at the beach. i hardly went to the beach in the three and a half weeks i was in hawaii, i mostly did hiking and sightseeing

Go to Montreal. It's a very laid back city, and has great food and nightlife. You don't need to speak french in Montreal, contrary to popular belief.

tre said:
Go to Montreal. It's a very laid back city, and has great food and nightlife. You don't need to speak french in Montreal, contrary to popular belief.
Why would he want to go to Montreal when he could go to France?

tre said:

I feel that don't need to speak French anywhere. It's a dead language, only spoken in very small, heathenistic cultures where a group of rowdy teenagers can overrun a large city while the police helplessly watch.

theacoustician said:
Why would he want to go to Montreal when he could go to France?

Because France isn't in North America, and Montreal has awesome strippers. Or so I've heard....

tre said:
I would love to go to Montreal, my dad lived there for a few years when he was younger and loved it. While I'm at it, I'd love to pay a visit to medicine hat. A photo of myself beside the road sign would be a priceless desktop item.

However, I do realize Canadian maps aren't the same as irish maps. By which, I mean 1cm does not equal 3 miles.

KNYTE said:
I feel that don't need to speak French anywhere. It's a dead language, only spoken in very small, heathenistic cultures where a group of rowdy teenagers can overrun a large city while the police helplessly watch.
Having been to France on a couple of occassions, I can honestly say it's a nice place. Lots' of bad press though. Chirac is a fucking shitehawk criminal, but don't judge an entire country on his pompus, heart-attack ridden ass.

Also, the place is bloody heaving with muslims. They were the only european country to invite them in with open arms back in the 70's and onwards. They're paying the price for it now though. You have to realize that this isn't one street we're talking about, and it's a massive area. To try to police an area of that size would use up a lot of resources.

Sorry to rain on your parade Bull Connor, but policing thousands of kids isn't as simple as that. For any country.

tre said:
Because France isn't in North America, and Montreal has awesome strippers. Or so I've heard....
Couldn't see myself going to a strip joint. What's the city like to eat out in, or have a drink etc.

Well being Canadian I would encourage you to see more of the great country I grew up in.
Toronto and surrounding areas is awesome. I've been there many times and it's really cool. Montreal however, is way better (and no you don't have to speak French to get on fine in Montreal). IF however, you are going to Montreal it would be worth your time to visit Old Quebec City (if you are a history buff)

But for the time and money, your best bet would be the pacific north west. I went to school in Vancouver and let me tell you, there is a TON to do there. The mountains alone are worth going. Hot springs, camping, you name it. Beautiful beautiful beautiful. Plus you have the city with everything imaginable.
Drive 2.5 hrs south, you've got Seattle. I've been to NYC quite a few times, and although NYC is my fav city, Seattle is a very close second. I'm not sure what it is about the place but I totally love it. There is tons to do.

3 hours south from there, you're into Portland OR. Which happens to be the home of 3 of the coolest UF members *ahem, me, FB and BigDov*. I've been living in the city for a few months now, and I've visited quite a few times before and I STILL haven't seen everything. There is so much to do.... And you would certainly have people here willing to help you out with suggestions and whatnot.

My first pick would be the PNW
And my second pick would be TO/Montreal/NYC

(Come to portland so we can have a meat :shifty:

Thanks for the offer to help. If we decide to go to the PNW I will most certainly take you up on that offer. One problem might be the drinking age though as my friend enjoys to get jolly quite a bit, and well, it wouldn't really be a holiday unless he was able to get pissed alot. I'm not too sure if he'd be as excited about nature, being much more of a fan of cities.

I think the next big thing for me would be places to eat. I could go out, get something to eat, have a few drinks and walk through Dublin at any hour of the night without any trouble. I'm couldn't see myself doing that in NY or even Toronto. What's the situation like in Seattle/Portland etc. I've heard Vancouver has a drug problem, but isn't really that bad a city crime wise.

I'd be up for a meet as would my friends. Any good places for one? Or just a conventional Hooters/TGI Fridays/etc.

Galen said:
Thanks for the offer to help. If we decide to go to the PNW I will most certainly take you up on that offer. One problem might be the drinking age though as my friend enjoys to get jolly quite a bit, and well, it wouldn't really be a holiday unless he was able to get pissed alot. I'm not too sure if he'd be as excited about nature, being much more of a fan of cities.

I think the next big thing for me would be places to eat. I could go out, get something to eat, have a few drinks and walk through Dublin at any hour of the night without any trouble. I'm couldn't see myself doing that in NY or even Toronto. What's the situation like in Seattle/Portland etc. I've heard Vancouver has a drug problem, but isn't really that bad a city crime wise.

I'd be up for a meet as would my friends. Any good places for one? Or just a conventional Hooters/TGI Fridays/etc.
About the drug problem in Vancouver- I did some work at a homeless shelter in Vancouver twice while I was there, and I can pretty much map out the exact locations where the problem is, and thats pretty much where it stays (and plus its really not a nice end of town, so I doubt you would want to sight see around there much anyway). I will try and find a map (or if you are looking at one) it's around South Hastings that you wanna stay away from (and china town). Other then that, Vancouver is pretty urban and you're not gonna see a guy shooting up on the side of the road next to a Louis Vuitton store :p

Places to eat in Portland? I can list off a ton of my favs that would be must eat places.
I might not have time this weekend but Monday I will try and gather a few websites for ya, of some of the places i've been to and really loved :)

you should go to seattle. its a beautiful city with lots of things to do and july/august is when our seafair celebrations are. plus we have the best coffee.

Portland is huge on happy hour. Pint of beer brewed 10 feet away, burger and fries for $5, it's great. Lots of places will have stuff like steak and lobster tail for $8 during happy hour. Bars close at 2am (later in rare cases), whereas I think they close at 1am in Seattle and some other places. Portland has a huge range of food, too. Everything from traditional British pubs (which I'm sure is what you're looking for :fly:), to Thai, to Ethiopian, etc.

The drinking age would be a problem, if he's under 21. But regardless, you'd still have a good time, and you can always get drunk in Vancouver.