Advise a Jonny Foreigner on where to go in North America

Galen

Flaccid Member
Nov 25, 2004
Ireland
Marklar
₥0
I am planning another trip to North America in July/August time with a friend of mine, as well as my girlfriend. We're as yet unsure of where exactly we want to go, and as always, I'm open to suggestions. Some places that have crossed my mind have been

• Northern Ontario
  • New York
  • Los Angeles
  • Las Vegas
  • Vancouver
  • Oregon

I'm honestly not too keen on LA or LV, because they're both shitholes, but I am open to any other suggestions.

Mainly I'd like some time to unwind from a stressful year, same goes for my girlfriend, and for my friend (Who is an ATC @ Heathrow, it doesn't come more stressful), but we'd enjoy city areas too. I'm a big fan of coffee, moreso than alcohol and breakfast is more my thing than going out to a club or something at night.

Although I thought it was an awesome idea, neither of the other parties are interested in going to the Yukon, or the North West Territories

Drool-Boy said:
Come to Houston.
Me love you long time.
Could I get a flight from NY or Toronto to there?

Any other attractions apart from the Reliant Stadium? I'd love to see a game, but there's no hope of it at that time of the year.

What would make you think to go to Northern Ontario? That's a pretty off the wall suggestion.

New York state or NYC? NYC in July/August is stinky. Serious. It is a neat city to visit though, you need to do it at least once in your life. New York state, dunno. I think it would be pretty, but not sure of how much there is to do.

LA? pfft

Vegas in July/August? Are you fucking crazy? You might as well go sit in a convection oven. It was 90 at 7am when I went in the begining of June.

Vancouver? Seems like a neat place to go. Dunno what you'd do there.

Oregon? You'll hear people here cheer you on there so you can have a meat. Also seems like an interesting place to visit.

theacoustician said:
What would make you think to go to Northern Ontario? That's a pretty off the wall suggestion.

Girlfriend lived about 100 miles north of Toronto, and recommended it. Apparently it's very quiet and forested, sounds like a nice place to relax. Rent a log cabin or something.

New York state or NYC? NYC in July/August is stinky. Serious. It is a neat city to visit though, you need to do it at least once in your life. New York state, dunno. I think it would be pretty, but not sure of how much there is to do.

That's what I thought, I'd love to see how everything works. Perhaps it's more of a fall city though, less tourists at that time also. However, it's the only place I could really hire a car out in, my friend should have no trouble on that front though.

Exactly, my friend suggested that. Can't think of a more horrible place to waste my money than in that smog-saturated shithole

Vegas in July/August? Are you fucking crazy? You might as well go sit in a convection oven. It was 90 at 7am when I went in the begining of June.

Again, not my idea. Had no idea about the heat though. I'm not a gambler either, so it's lose/lose eitherway as there's nothing much else to do only gamble.

Vancouver? Seems like a neat place to go. Dunno what you'd do there.

Same reason as that for Ontario. I've heard it's a nice place to relax, but also a nice city. Heard it has a major drug problem though.

Oregon? You'll hear people here cheer you on there so you can have a meat. Also seems like an interesting place to visit.

I'm not too sure what prompted Oregon, but if we opted for Vancouver, both Washington and Oregon would be a port of call. Always wanted to see the pacific northwest.

Some places I like with a lot of stuff to do/see:

Portland, Oregon
San Francisco, California
Grand Canyon area in Arizona - Sedona is a nice city about an hour north of the GC

Edit: Seattle, Washington is okay too

Arátoeldar said:
Where have you been to in the U.S. before Galen?
New York
Pennsylvania State
Maine (though I was too young to remember)

I've been to Canada (Greater Toronto Area, in specific) once also, but for rather a long time. I liked their lax attitude towards pretty much everything, but they're mostly all introverted. So you can never really get too friendly with anyone.

Bubbles said:
July August = visit Miami
Miami always seemed too fake to me, it's also a huge tourist trap.

I'm not one for that sort of scenery either, though I was invited to go to Naples, FL anytime I like as my family has friends there.

ERage said:
Some places I like with a lot of stuff to do/see:

Portland, Oregon
San Francisco, California
Grand Canyon area in Arizona - Sedona is a nice city about an hour north of the GC

Edit: Seattle, Washington is okay too
Why San Francisco? I never really seen much to it, hence why it never made my list. I don't mean it in a sort of ignorant way, I just mean tell me why it's on your list.

Arizona/Grand Canyon would be nice, but is there anything else all the way out there in the desert? Is there a nearby airport etc?

Galen said:
Why San Francisco? I never really seen much to it, hence why it never made my list. I don't mean it in a sort of ignorant way, I just mean tell me why it's on your list.

Arizona/Grand Canyon would be nice, but is there anything else all the way out there in the desert? Is there a nearby airport etc?

San Francisco: North Beach is a great beach area. The Golden Gate Bridge is amazing. Napa and Sonoma Valley are great tours if you like vineyards. Sourdough bread originated here. Tons of unique architecture and landscapes/views (when it isn't foggy), the list goes on...check out some tourism websites for SF and see what you think. I had a blast out there...plus there are enough shit packers walking around to keep any straight man on his toes.

Edit: and I almost forgot Alcatraz Prison...do a ghost tour whoooooooo

The Grand Canyon is nearest to Phoenix Airport...about 1.5 hours drive away...~100 miles - 161 kilometers. The grand canyon itself is enough to entertain for a week. Hiking, horseback riding, camping, jeep tours, american indian caves, spectacular views. Sedona is a quiet resort town about an hour more to the north. Similar things to do there plus fishing, and some more heavily wooded areas. Also the petrified forest is near the GC but it wasn't too impressive to me...looked like the rest of the desert :)

Edit: When I first saw the Grand Canyon with my own eyes I literally gawked at it for about 2 hours. Just sat on a chair and looked out into it forever. It is hard to put into words...or pictures for that matter

Last edited:
ERage said:
San Francisco: North Beach is a great beach area. The Golden Gate Bridge is amazing. Napa and Sonoma Valley are great tours if you like vineyards. Sourdough bread originated here. Tons of unique architecture and landscapes/views (when it isn't foggy), the list goes on...check out some tourism websites for SF and see what you think. I had a blast out there...plus there are enough shit packers walking around to keep any straight man on his toes.

Haha, sounds neat. A friend of mine was there last year and loved it, though he said the mist inhibited you from seing the golden gate bridge for more than 10 minutes. I can't honestly say I'd go to see a fucking bridge though, I can take a 5 minute jaunt down the road and see about 3 on my way.

The Grand Canyon is nearest to Phoenix Airport...about 1.5 hours drive away...~100 miles - 161 kilometers. The grand canyon itself is enough to entertain for a week. Hiking, horseback riding, camping, jeep tours, american indian caves, spectacular views. Sedona is a quiet resort town about an hour more to the north. Similar things to do there plus fishing, and some more heavily wooded areas. Also the petrified forest is near the GC but it wasn't too impressive to me...looked like the rest of the desert :)

Edit: When I first saw the Grand Canyon with my own eyes I literally gawked at it for about 2 hours. Just sat on a chair and looked out into it forever. It is hard to put into words...or pictures for that matter
That sounds awesome. I always pictured Arizona as empty desert, but I will most definitely look into it more. Camping has always appealed to me, I'd love to give it a shot. As long as I'm not eaten by a fucking bear.

Bubbles said:
Oh, well if you'd rather see peaceful and authentic florida.....try Cedar Key

http://www.cedarkey.org/

Go to Ft. Lauderdale, FL and I can get my buddy (a pilot) to take you on an flying tour of the everglades. That is pretty cool. But other than that Ft. Lauderdale sucks.

Galen said:
Haha, sounds neat. A friend of mine was there last year and loved it, though he said the mist inhibited you from seing the golden gate bridge for more than 10 minutes. I can't honestly say I'd go to see a fucking bridge though, I can take a 5 minute jaunt down the road and see about 3 on my way.

That sounds awesome. I always pictured Arizona as empty desert, but I will most definitely look into it more. Camping has always appealed to me, I'd love to give it a shot. As long as I'm not eaten by a fucking bear.

I think either of these choices would prove more fruitful than they seem on the face of it. I personally think everyone should have the ability to see the grand canyon at least once in person just to see how amazing it truely is. You would not be dissapointed.

ERage said:
Go to Ft. Lauderdale, FL and I can get my buddy (a pilot) to take you on an flying tour of the everglades. That is pretty cool. But other than that Ft. Lauderdale sucks.
That sounds cool, though I'm sure my friend would be itching to take the yoke (himself a PPL/CPL). Withdrawel symptoms from flying would probably drive him nuts. :D

Would be nice to see the place from the air though, even if not from the ground. :p Same goes for most places over here, they always look better when you're flying above them.

Galen said:

Arizona has some of the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen. That being said, in July/August it will probably be about 1000 degrees there and a lot of your travel in and around the grand canyon will be prohibited. I think you'd be disappointed.

I think the pacific northwest is your best call. I've never been there personally, but based on your requirements it sounds like the best bet. There's coffee shops every 500 feet. Those people can really dig some coffee. Also, it's not horrible with the tourists. They also reportedly have the nicest people in the USA in Oregon. I've never met anyone who visited there and didn't like it. If you go, definately visit Crater Lake. You will never see bluer water or more stunning landscapes. Vancouver is supposed to be a really cool relaxed town to visit too.