A/V question...need advice

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
I know very little about this subject and I was asked a question this morning by my bro-in-law that I was usless to answer.

He is trying to feed audio from his stereo into his PC with the intention of recording the audio on the PC. He bought a Bezzle digital vid creator 85 to do this via a USB 2.0 port.

DVC85-HW-big.jpg

He can get it to feed video from a camera but he can't seem to get his stereo to feed it audio. I am not sure if this is just the wrong device to do this type of thing or if his system is lacking something to allow him to accomplish this.

Here is his system stats (it is an old system that I built back in 2001):
Mobo: ASUS K7V-Slot A
CPU: AMD Athlon Thunderbird 750MHz - Slot A
Mem: 512 MB PC100 SDRAM
Video Card: Voodoo 3000 AGP
Sound Card: Creative SB-Live

He seems to meet the minimum requirements for this device but has no luck with the audio.

Is his PC the problem? Has he chosen a bad way to go about doing this? Is there a better way?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I know some of you get off on this stuff...I am totally a :tard: when it comes to anything A/V.

Thanks in advance!

SpangeMonkee said:
The SB Live should record just fine. What's wrong with that? It is prolly better than usb junk. The SB Live has a Mic and line in. Get a copy of Sound Forge and he will be just fine.

Would he just need a cable like this plugged into the line in mini jack then?

SmallHRCACables2to1.jpg

plus the sound forge software...seems simple enough.

itburnswhenipee said:
If it's only got one-eighth inch plugs, yes.

Alternately, I don't know.

Maybe?

Yeah, the mini port line-in is the only option available on that sound card and he says he already has a wire with the RCA on one end and the mini jack on the other. He's going to download the trial version of Sound Forge Audio Studio and give it a whirl to see if it works. Thanks for the responses.

ERage said:
Yeah, the mini port line-in is the only option available on that sound card and he says he already has a wire with the RCA on one end and the mini jack on the other. He's going to download the trial version of Sound Forge Audio Studio and give it a whirl to see if it works. Thanks for the responses.

jsut make sure that he has the line-mic in turned on under the volume control. that stuff is usually muted.

ERage said:
I know very little about this subject and I was asked a question this morning by my bro-in-law that I was usless to answer.

He is trying to feed audio from his stereo into his PC with the intention of recording the audio on the PC. He bought a Bezzle digital vid creator 85 to do this via a USB 2.0 port.

DVC85-HW-big.jpg

He can get it to feed video from a camera but he can't seem to get his stereo to feed it audio. I am not sure if this is just the wrong device to do this type of thing or if his system is lacking something to allow him to accomplish this.

Here is his system stats (it is an old system that I built back in 2001):
Mobo: ASUS K7V-Slot A
CPU: AMD Athlon Thunderbird 750MHz - Slot A
Mem: 512 MB PC100 SDRAM
Video Card: Voodoo 3000 AGP
Sound Card: Creative SB-Live

He seems to meet the minimum requirements for this device but has no luck with the audio.

Is his PC the problem? Has he chosen a bad way to go about doing this? Is there a better way?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I know some of you get off on this stuff...I am totally a :tard: when it comes to anything A/V.

Thanks in advance!
Reread the manual. It says that the device looks for a video sync. If it doesn't see one, its not going to record anything. That's why the camera dump works but not recording from the stereo.

Spange is right though. You don't need that thing to do what you want. Use http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ to record whatever you're trying to capture. For the record, nothing records directly to any format other than wav or bwf and a few other "raw" formats. All compression and encoding is done post capture, even if it seems seamless to the end user. How to hook up the stereo is already covered. Don't screw around with cracked copies of Sound Forge. Its a great program, but you don't need something with that learning curve.

theacoustician said:
Reread the manual. It says that the device looks for a video sync. If it doesn't see one, its not going to record anything. That's why the camera dump works but not recording from the stereo.

Spange is right though. You don't need that thing to do what you want. Use http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ to record whatever you're trying to capture. For the record, nothing records directly to any format other than wav or bwf and a few other "raw" formats. All compression and encoding is done post capture, even if it seems seamless to the end user. How to hook up the stereo is already covered. Don't screw around with cracked copies of Sound Forge. Its a great program, but you don't need something with that learning curve.

Yeah, I'm trying to advise someone on how to do this but this person is in Daytona...I didn't read the online manual for that device because I was pretty certain that it is not the best way to go about doing this. I thought I'd post here for expert opinions :)

Just for an update, he has had success using the left/right plug for the stereo out into the line-in mini-jack on the SB-Live card. I didn't get details on what he was using as far as software is concerned but he was happy with the results so I wasn't too worried about it. Thanks for the input, he's going to return that piece of crap thing he bought.

itburnswhenipee said:
That audacity program is pretty slick. Thanks for the pointer, guys.

Yeah, I've used it in the past to chop out parts of songs to make ringtones for my phone...never thought of using it to feed and save audio. I'm a fan of audacity though. Good tip.

shawndavid said:
How does one go about inserting homemade clips into ringtones?

theac is right, depends on your phone.

I have a motorola V180 which can play mp3 files and has a USB port on it. But here's what I do...

I use audacity to chop out a piece of a song or stitch sound clips together, add effects like fade in or fade out etc. Then I save the file...usually I try to keep it under 20sec long.

Then I use Razorlame to reduce the quality a little to get the file size down some so my phone doesn't fill up with 2 ring tones.

Finally I use some software called Motorola Phone Tools to upload the file to my sound folder via the usb port.

you could email the sound clip to yourself as an attachment and bypass the last step however.