A/V advice needed: LCD vs. Plasma

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
OK, so a friend of mine is looking to buy a TV and is trying to decide between Plasma and LCD. So to all you A/V geeks out there, what are the pros and cons of each? Viewable angles, Longevity, Brand suggestions, HiDef, anything else I'm overlooking.

Any advice/suggestions is/are greatly appreciated as always.

IF there is going to be any sort of gaming done on the TV avoid Plasma. Even though they have made progress on plasma TVs they still suffer burn in.

I went to Magnolia the other day (It's a subsidiary of Best Buy that does high end A/V), and the salesman told me I should get a plasma. When I expressed concerns of burn-in he waved them off, claiming that they've improved greatly and if it does happen, leaving it on a moving channel for a few hours will fix it.

Uhm, plasmas burn in because they're burning out their phosphors... If you have to fix it by burning out more in an even pattern, doesn't that just shorten the life? I've heard a lot of complaints that even before a plasma's life is up it gets very noticeably less bright. Just sounds fishy to me, I think I'll wait a year or so to see how things pan out.

Hell, my current TV hasn't kept me from enjoying my Wii, and it's fuzzy and color distorted. :)

I think there will be some gaming but it will be minor and minimal. The burn-in might be an issue but I hear they are getting better at preventing that with technology and feature improvements.

So far from what I have read it boils down to the size you are going for. If you want 40"+ or even in the mid to high 30" range Plasma is the way to go because of the price. If you are going for a mid-small TV LCD is the way to go.

Yes, plasmas tended to fade quickly like 6 years ago. Today most plasmas can last 10-15 years easily. The biggest issue now is that LCDs are starting to become just as big as Plasmas and cheaper. Its not worth the companies time to make smaller plasmas because of the process either. I remember reading a few weeks ago that this will likely be the last year that Plasma is pushed predominantly over LCDs because of the cost differences.

Yes, plasmas tended to fade quickly like 6 years ago. Today most plasmas can last 10-15 years easily. The biggest issue now is that LCDs are starting to become just as big as Plasmas and cheaper. Its not worth the companies time to make smaller plasmas because of the process either. I remember reading a few weeks ago that this will likely be the last year that Plasma is pushed predominantly over LCDs because of the cost differences.

we are still throwing out plasmas at work that are way less than 6 years old