Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruined the Audi. Gonna replace the new engine mounts with rubber ones, because the polyurethane, while nice, are just too harsh.

Old engine mount was pretty cashed in though:
20190908_133528.jpg

New one looks very pretty:
20190908_131749.jpg

New transmission mount and rear subframe bushing:
20190908_130237.jpg

Pressure washed the subframe before I pressed out the front bushings:
20190908_133841_HDR.jpg

Pressed the bushings out with a 36mm socket
20190908_134633_HDR.jpg

Then all I had to do was clean up the shells for the new bushings:
20190908_134842.jpg

Put the whole subframe back together:
20190908_142030.jpg

Went with stock rubber bushings in the control arms, because they're under pretty constant deflection, so rubber will work better there than any urethane replacements. The tension rod/sway bar bushings are all urethane, though.

The subwoofer isn’t loud enough then.

Stop being sensible.
That's my approach with the Datsun and its ridiculous 11:1 compression ratio - if the exhaust is loud enough that I can't hear the detonation, it doesn't happen.

It's about 20 minutes of my time and $60 to replace the engine mounts with new rubber units though, so I'm going to do that and be happily quieter.

fuuuu.

So I ordered a dash kit for the Fit. Note they say "double DIN" provision.

Even if you look at the picture of it on the Metra website, the DIN openings top/bottom are the same size:

Except I receive this, notice the bottom slot is quite a bit smaller:
87ebjzUh.jpg

And the kit came with this exact instruction sheet, same part number except the "double DIN" provision is curiously missing:

So it'll handle a double ISO (without a trim ring) but not a double DIN. Which means, my Empeg and JVC won't fit in there together stacked.

Time to bitch and see if I can get this shit refunded.

Got a new set of cowls for the Z, on account of the old ones looked like garbage, and the battery side one's been broken for years (in such a way that it rattles around because the lips around the fastener holes were broken out).

Did the primer with a $18 HVLP gun from Hazard Fraught (because primer's cheap, so I don't have to worry about efficiency with it), and then went over that with SEM trim black. Then I powdercoated the windshield wiper arms in chassis black. Came out matching the cowls pretty good, I think.

69876390_2460579690890937_3271310365538910208_n.jpg

A door speaker in my truck blew out the other day
now the question is
Do I bother replacing it , or just listen with the balance all the way to the right?
Buy a $50 set of Kenwoods or something off Crutchfield and toss them in the doors.

Or buy a $50 set of Infinity Kappas or something off a desparate-to-pay-rent kid off craiglist.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
So Crutchfield refunded my money and told me to keep the Fit dash kit.

Looks like nobody else makes a dash kit that lets me stack my JVC/Empeg combo in the Fit, so I've got a few options.

- Hack the fuck out of the dash kit to make it fit two DIN stereos, at risk of looking ghetto, but it's going in a Fit so that's not a major issue.
- Keep the JVC, toss the Empeg in a box. Meh, might as well keep the stock stereo.
- Keep the Empeg, toss the JVC in a box. Need to buy a separate amp and tuner for the Empeg, because the unit doesn't have either of those built in.
- Admit it's not 1998 anymore and buy a modern head unit that does bluetooth handsfree and all of that.

Looks like nobody else makes a dash kit that lets me stack my JVC/Empeg combo in the Fit, so I've got a few options.

- Hack the fuck out of the dash kit to make it fit two DIN stereos, at risk of looking ghetto, but it's going in a Fit so that's not a major issue.
- Keep the JVC, toss the Empeg in a box. Meh, might as well keep the stock stereo.
- Keep the Empeg, toss the JVC in a box. Need to buy a separate amp and tuner for the Empeg, because the unit doesn't have either of those built in.
- Admit it's not 1998 anymore and buy a modern head unit that does bluetooth handsfree and all of that.
D

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant

doesnt this seem like an ideal use for a 3d printer?

Make a dildo

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Get a piece of Kydex(thermoset plastic, people use it to make gun holsters and other shit) and make one from that. Stick in the oven at 250f for 5 minutes if you need to shape that way, you usually have 20-40 seconds of work time, depending. Black KEdex is cheap - $4.62 USD for the 2 pack below.

Status
Not open for further replies.