Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, dude selling the house I'm (hopefully) buying has offered me his truck.

1994 Ford F150 XLT, 4x4, with a 351W engine and a plow. It's in fabulous shape. $5K CAD.

I don't need a truck and can't see myself getting into the snowplow business, but if there's money to be made at it that will pay off the truck in a reasonable amount of time, hmm...

Unless your dollar was worth even less than I was expecting, that seems like an absolutely enormous amount for such an ancient truck

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
Unless your dollar was worth even less than I was expecting, that seems like an absolutely enormous amount for such an ancient truck

Depending on how rural you live up there, a truck with a plow on it could be like buying a little sole proprietor business equipment instead of "just a truck".

Here's the underside of it. For an atlantic canadian vehicle this is nuts.

62eOwUsh.jpg

So, dude selling the house I'm (hopefully) buying has offered me his truck.

1994 Ford F150 XLT, 4x4, with a 351W engine and a plow. It's in fabulous shape. $5K CAD.

I don't need a truck and can't see myself getting into the snowplow business, but if there's money to be made at it that will pay off the truck in a reasonable amount of time, hmm...
Looks very good underside for it's age. If miles are also low for age it sounds like a decent price - ask him if he'd consider $4-4.5k Most people won't mind a 10-15% reduction from asking. Plowing - emergency plowing(meaning you don't have a contract for season OR to pay X per push), could easily run $60-$80 for one time of say a 60-70 meter straight drive. I had a truck with plow just for my 150 meters of drive but would often stop and ask people who were struggling after a snowstorm if they wanted a push. Just kind of random, like I'd push mine out, decide to go get some gas and beer and figure I'll do a push or two to pay for said gas and beer. And since it's a new home, chances are you will need to go get a few larger things the first year or two.
I have a 1999 International box truck - no worries, southern vehicle, still only 37k miles on it. Was owned by a charity and used rarely.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Everybody needs a truck for something now and then.

I'd show him 4 cash. Do enough plowing for cash on the side to make it pay for itself. No need to make an official business out of it.

Now you pretty much have a free truck and plow. Go from there. Could keep or sell one or both.

If I had the room I'd keep it just as a backup vehicle, truck when you need one, plow your way out to the main road after a blizzard or help a neighbor, etc.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Plow trucks are retardedly expensive to upkeep, lots of wear and tear on the vehicle and plow. My plow guy last season went through over a grand in repairs to the plow hydraulics and other shit. He was charging me like $30 per plow. He wasn't all that great. My lawnmower guy plows in the offseason and charges $35. I think I'll hire him instead this year. He does a great job cutting my lawn, prompt, friendly dude.

Plow trucks are retardedly expensive to upkeep, lots of wear and tear on the vehicle and plow. My plow guy last season went through over a grand in repairs to the plow hydraulics and other shit. He was charging me like $30 per plow. He wasn't all that great. My lawnmower guy plows in the offseason and charges $35. I think I'll hire him instead this year. He does a great job cutting my lawn, prompt, friendly dude.

$30 a plow or per storm?

I used to pay 20 per storm 10 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.