Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
@gee

This is the best I can do. 1 mA off is enough to cause it to not activate, and at the low end the mechanical resistance of the gauge is enough to cause it to not want to swing.

In the pic with the links showing:
Positive is bottom right
Ground is bottom left
Variable is the top pin
When positive and ground complete a circuit it pegs high. When positive and variable are completed it pegs low.

If so, put a DMM set to current measurement in series with the power supply, and make a measurement of current vs gauge angle.
So, about this.
I don't think its easily possible, at least not with my one multimeter.

Check this out. Everything I tried to do today didn't get me any easily repeatable data.

Gauge Background Information
Mustang gauges (other than the volt gauge) consist of one set of windings connected between power and ground. That set of winding creates a reference magnetic field. There is a second winding that is connected to power and the signal input to the gauge. The sensor connects the gauge input to ground through a variable resistor. As the sensor resistance goes down, more current flows through the second winding. The magnetic field of the second winding interacts with the field from the reference winding. The more current that flows through the gauge input, the more the gauge needle deflects, and the less current that flows, the less the needle deflects. When zero current flows through the input, there is no needle deflection and when the same amount of current flows though the input as flows through the reference winding, you get maximum needle deflection of 90 degrees.

I need to get one of those, or at least a two-note something from the junkyard to put in this truck. Thing only plays one tone that while is a little beefier than a "meep" is still rather underwhelming.

Dumb thought: you could use an Arduino + relay shield to hit those 3 horns individually at random, so your horn sounds like an angry traffic jam.

edit: apparently some Cadillacs have a 4 note horn which adds a C, wonder what other OEM horn notes are available that'll let you turn your car into a shitty music box.

Dumb thought: you could use an Arduino + relay shield to hit those 3 horns individually at random, so your horn sounds like an angry traffic jam.

edit: apparently some Cadillacs have a 4 note horn which adds a C, wonder what other OEM horn notes are available that'll let you turn your car into a shitty music box.

That would be cool.

I would argue with societal expectations shifting ever further towards the violation of Darwin's laws and the preservation of fools at all costs* there really isn't a such thing as too much horn anymore.

* I'm talking about earbuds.
I see countless people driving with them in and countless more ride bicycles or run with baby carriages along the road with these things in their ears that make sure they can't hear traffic and/or just are unaware of anything going on around them at all. As if vision is the only sense there is.

Particularly bad at intersections.

I can't even count how many people I've startled/caught by surprise without even using the horn. Just by easing up to an intersection instead of going normal pace, or even yielding when I didn't really have to, because you can tell from their body language or aura or whatever they are completely oblivious to their surroundings.

All of them....earbuds.

I'm completely convinced if I just progressed in a normal, legal driving fashion, some of these people would've literally run (on foot) into the side of my car they're that stupid.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
So, Audi used a boatload of torque-to-angle fasteners mating the subframe to the unibody on my car, and (surprise surprise) they're pretty much all NLA.

So, I guess I'm going to use some 10.9 replacements, some blue threadlocker, and torque to the original specs. Fucking annoying to have to throw away bolts after one use, though, and I'm not looking forward to threading the new ones without the convenient centering pins at the ends of the old bolts.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Status
Not open for further replies.