Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
As it is a 2-stroke, there is a little access port for each cylinder on the starboard side. 4-5 flathead screws per cover, remove them and peer inside to look for damage.

Edit, they are under the starter bracket, i think forward of that fuel filter.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
@HipHugHer

All of these things are basically the same. Pictured is a '64 Johnson 18HP (white) and a '56 Evinrude 25HP. They dont really change till the 70s or so. Better bearings, built in fuel pump, and a couple timing changes are the major differences between these two

Here: shift lever linkage. Remove the two screws, take out the lower bolt, shift the shift lever to release the shift rod (unpossible in your case) unbolt the lower unit, drop lower unit
19021287720190211193401.jpg

4 bolts just above the fuel pump, that's your access port. Yours will look something like this.

Internal bits of the shift lever. Since yours is just spinning I'd bet that something sheared in there when the lower unit got stuck somehow.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
@HipHugHer

All of these things are basically the same. Pictured is a '64 Johnson 18HP (white) and a '56 Evinrude 25HP. They dont really change till the 70s or so. Better bearings, built in fuel pump, and a couple timing changes are the major differences between these two

Here: shift lever linkage. Remove the two screws, take out the lower bolt, shift the shift lever to release the shift rod (unpossible in your case) unbolt the lower unit, drop lower unit

4 bolts just above the fuel pump, that's your access port. Yours will look something like this.

Internal bits of the shift lever. Since yours is just spinning I'd bet that something sheared in there when the lower unit got stuck somehow.

Wow. Excellent info.

I'd noticed some external similarities between this and the old little blue Evinrude tiller steer 7.5hp and the "big" 35hp red Johnson we had. (Trying to recall mental pictures from the 80's here). Such as such as the gear/cog wheel on the throttle control, etc. Some seem to just have different connections and places to hold the cable to turn tiller steer into cable linkage from the levers farther toward the bow but the mechanics of what happens on the motor is the same.

Same with the shift lever. As things got bigger, add cable linkage but the lever the cable is moving is pretty much the same as the little ones.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
interesting set of basic tests on the amazon full synth oil.

20 bucks a 5 quart, and tests better than mobil 1 in most cases aint bad at all.

Im actually not convinced after watching that that its not rebranded mobil 1

20 bucks a 5 quart, and tests better than mobil 1 in most cases aint bad at all.

It very well could be.

They guarantee the manufacturer x number of sales with no returns. Gotta bring down the price.

I use it in my compressor, it looks and smells like the STP synth I used to use at $7/qt.

I wonder what an oil analysis would show? Send it to Blackstone or something?

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
???

No power, performance, and efficiency numbers are available yet, but the Blue Oval expects it to be “the most powerful gas V8 in its class.”
I've been reading about it for a while, owing to interest in a Pontiac GTO facetubes group I'm a part of. It's "class" is a bunch of motors meant for trucks, so 450HP would be the class of the field.

Some guessing here

Status
Not open for further replies.