Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if it's antifreeze?

The whole antifreeze/coolant thing was weird as hell to me too when I first moved down here but that's what a lot of people say. When in Rome.....

Easier to just say coolant than trying to "re-educate" everybody.

67 and 69 but don't remember which is which. I doubt they were up to 31 in either of those years though.

Neat little cars.
I was referring to the back wheels on the red one. They're off of a 1st generation 300ZX (a naturally aspirated one from 84-86, since they came 4x114.3mm bolt pattern).

Probably the easiest way to get 15" wheel on there, lol.

I was referring to the back wheels on the red one. They're off of a 1st generation 300ZX (a naturally aspirated one from 84-86, since they came 4x114.3mm bolt pattern).

Probably the easiest way to get 15" wheel on there, lol.

Oh, OK.

I recognized them as obvs being from some newer car but don't know details like that.

Also looking at those two as a project in a "big picture" kinda way, not having the exact proper correct as issued rim didnt exactly jump to the forefront. At least you could roll it on a trailer instead of drag it.

They have 2 wires.
My thoughts:

(1) Throw a SPST on/off/on toggle switch on the dash for each seat, maybe like this style:
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/MARQUARDT-1808-1103-00-SWITCH-SPDT-CENTRE-OFF-BLACK-I-O-II-/181208932940
Or do a metal lever toggle switch, or whatever you feel suits the car.

You'll need a little circuit board that will PWM the seat to accomplish temperature control, and have a couple pots to set the high/low duty cycle. There's a couple ways to design it, simplest/cheapest is probably something built around a 555 timer or op-amp oscillator or something.

There might be off units that'll do this, if not then maybe there's a market for it.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
It's an engine so I guess I'll put it here.

@Mr. Asa or anyone know if there's anything unique, interesting, pain in the ass, desirable, etc. about an Evinrude Lark?
Parts still available or someone might want it to cannibalize?

Just ran across it last night. Haven't dig into it yet. It's seized up, or at least won't spin by hand or rope. Shift lever spins around on shaft so either can't find neutral or prop is locked up too.

No idea if somebody ran it dry/burned it up or if it could be age, corrosion, salt water? Can shift it with wrench later and see what if anything spins.

Didn't want to take it to the scrap yard right away unless it really is junk.
Body style looks like it came after the blue 50's "tailfin" style. Probably later 60's or 70's?

Oh. And by "came across it last night" I mean I went to dollar general to get cat litter and the clerk asked if I or someone I knew picked up metal. I says, "maybe, what do you need?" and he says, "somebody left a boat motor at the end of the parking lot and we can't lift it into the dumpster".

KIMG1750-640x480.jpgKIMG1751-800x600.jpgKIMG1755-800x600.jpgKIMG1752-800x600.jpgKIMG1754-800x600.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
It's an engine so I guess I'll put it here.

@Mr. Asa or anyone know if there's anything unique, interesting, pain in the ass, desirable, etc. about an Evinrude Lark?
Parts still available or someone might want it to cannibalize?

Just ran across it last night. Haven't dig into it yet. It's seized up, or at least won't spin by hand or rope. Shift lever spins around on shaft so either can't find neutral or prop is locked up too.

No idea if somebody ran it dry/burned it up or if it could be age, corrosion, salt water? Can shift it with wrench later and see what if anything spins.

Didn't want to take it to the scrap yard right away unless it really is junk.
Body style looks like it came after the blue 50's "tailfin" style. Probably later 60's or 70's?

Oh. And by "came across it last night" I mean I went to dollar general to get cat litter and the clerk asked if I or someone I knew picked up metal. I says, "maybe, what do you need?" and he says, "somebody left a boat motor at the end of the parking lot and we can't lift it into the dumpster".

View attachment 6255View attachment 6256View attachment 6257View attachment 6258View attachment 6259
Dis-assembled and sold as individual parts on ebay would net the most return. Most of the cast pieces would net you $40-80 each. Perfect for the guy who just needs "that, yeah that right there!"

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Dis-assembled and sold as individual parts on ebay would net the most return. Most of the cast pieces would net you $40-80 each. Perfect for the guy who just needs "that, yeah that right there!"

Sounds like a great way to have half a boat motor laying around for the next 2 years.

• Gravy
The Lark is a late 50s motor, '58 and up, I think.

Kind of niche, with the trim and such it's sort of a special edition, but not really?

Condition is everything, and that is kind of bad. Happily, if no bolts snap, you can usually get to running condition for $40-90 if there are no leaks. A leaking lower unit is a pain in the ass to seal properly.

As is, depending on if you get someone that knows what it is worth or if you get someone that just wants an antique, $50-150

Running $100-200.

• Gravy
Sounds like a great way to have half a boat motor laying around for the next 2 years.
True, but completely disassembled (other than the hood) it will fit in a large Tupperware bin.

Or sell the bits you can (starter and associated bits are probably the most desired) and then contact an AOMCI member in the area to pick up the rest and pass it on to someone who needs the remainder.

• Gravy
The Lark is a late 50s motor, '58 and up, I think.

Kind of niche, with the trim and such it's sort of a special edition, but not really?

Condition is everything, and that is kind of bad. Happily, if no bolts snap, you can usually get to running condition for $40-90 if there are no leaks. A leaking lower unit is a pain in the ass to seal properly.

As is, depending on if you get someone that knows what it is worth or if you get someone that just wants an antique, $50-150

Running $100-200.
True, but completely disassembled (other than the hood) it will fit in a large Tupperware bin.

Or sell the bits you can (starter and associated bits are probably the most desired) and then contact an AOMCI member in the area to pick up the rest and pass it on to someone who needs the remainder.

Thanks for this. Had no idea it was possible to get it going for so little, assuming basic stuff, no major damage. I'll at least take a few things apart and get some idea of how bad off it really is.

Would at least rather pass it on to somebody into these things than just end up on the scrap heap.

• Gravy
I should ask is the starter/electronics 12v or something else? Some old 50's tractors and things were 6v.

Wouldn't want to scree it up testing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.