Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also spent time at the junkyard today. Went looking for a lower intake that was not cracked at the last tab (#6 cyl.) Pulled two, examined two more that were half pulled already. Two hours to pull an intake, roughly an hour to stomp around the poorly drained swamp they call a yard, half an hour per examination of the half undone ones.

Every fucking one was cracked. Every fucking one.

I kept the best one ($50, no discount for damage) and I am gonna see if I can get someone to weld it. If not I'll return it and figure out if I want to get fucked by eBay, rockauto, or Ford.

Fuck.

Also spent time at the junkyard today. Went looking for a lower intake that was not cracked at the last tab (#6 cyl.) Pulled two, examined two more that were half pulled already. Two hours to pull an intake, roughly an hour to stomp around the poorly drained swamp they call a yard, half an hour per examination of the half undone ones.

Every fucking one was cracked. Every fucking one.

I kept the best one ($50, no discount for damage) and I am gonna see if I can get someone to weld it. If not I'll return it and figure out if I want to get fucked by eBay, rockauto, or Ford.

Fuck.
Just go TIG the crack.

Just go TIG the crack.
Initial plan. However, from past experience I know that its difficult to tig cast stuff and especially cast stuff that has had a shitload of oil and crap flown into the crack.

I also worry about the mating surface and it warping towards or away after doing the needful.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Initial plan. However, from past experience I know that its difficult to tig cast stuff and especially cast stuff that has had a shitload of oil and crap flown into the crack.

I also worry about the mating surface and it warping towards or away after doing the needful.
If you can find a good guy, it won't be awful. My friend fixed my cracked upper plenum no problem.

Yeah, also from past experience, lye does a good job of cleaning that shit if you dont leave it on too long.

If I have to, I know a guy in Tallahassee I trust, but I dont want to have to take it all the way up there.

Mig, not tig - tig creates too much localized heat and creates minor cracks adjacent to the weld.. Even gas or stick works better if you take you time and never overheat.

Mig, not tig - tig creates too much localized heat and creates minor cracks adjacent to the weld.. Even gas or stick works better if you take you time and never overheat.
It's aluminum. You can't mig aluminum

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

It's aluminum. You can't mig aluminum

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk
Ok, he's had so many issues it's been hard to keep track. But incorrect. *My commentary would be valid for cast iron. Sill kind of curious if his mystery protrusions on the one part were paint runs or just casting leaks. My money is still on the castin leaks due to the shape and position of them.
Good luck finding aluminum wire to MIG with.
But I was able to find it - right there next to my tank of argon. ;) Spool gun FTW!

#weldingsince1977

Attachments

• alum.jpg
    alum.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Tried the frame slider adapters on the lesburu seats, no joy. Taking the original sliders out and I'm going to weld a lower base right to the seat without the slider/height adjuster now and just use the original sliders off the Datsun seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.