Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the truck's engine was grey from the factory. I'm not a complete fan of that, but similarly I'm not a fan of doing the entire engine in Ford Blue.

Options? Valve cover and rocker cover in Ford Blue, rest in Ford Grey? Other?

So, the truck's engine was grey from the factory. I'm not a complete fan of that, but similarly I'm not a fan of doing the entire engine in Ford Blue.

Would look good and probably easiest to do at this point.

Was trying to envision blue block only with gray or natural metal color everything else but that would probably mean re-doing or at least masking of all kinds of shit. Freeze plugs, hose connections, sensors, timing cover, etc. Literally everything that's not raw block/head.

Is the valve cover just a stamped steel piece? If so, get one of the chrome ones, or a tall cast aluminum one for maximum bling.

I would do the block, head, and rocker cover in the same color.

If not Ford blue, maybe early Pontiac blue? It's a handsome color, and available from Autozone in a rattle can...
20031105+-+Engine+02.JPG

Is the valve cover just a stamped steel piece? If so, get one of the chrome ones, or a tall cast aluminum one for maximum bling.

If not Ford blue, maybe early Pontiac blue? It's a handsome color, and available from Autozone in a rattle can...
Valve cover is a little weird with this. Intake is close enough to the valve cover that the vc actually has a drop. They dont make an aftermarket vc that fits EFI engines
I'd use one of the old ones that has Power By Ford embossed on it, but again it doesn't fit. (would that be debossed?)

Been thinking of milling my own rocker cover, though. Easy peasy to do, could almost do it on a manual machine. Later on, maybe.

I know all about Pontiac Blue. Or as the more enlightened call it, Evinrude Blue.
Stock (on an engine, so its had some heat cycles and 50+ years)

New paint

I still dont like the idea of all the engine being the same color. Maybe I'll spray a base coat and see how it looks. Can always paint over it.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Valve cover is a little weird with this. Intake is close enough to the valve cover that the vc actually has a drop. They dont make an aftermarket vc that fits EFI engines
I'd use one of the old ones that has Power By Ford embossed on it, but again it doesn't fit. (would that be debossed?)

In that case, maybe strip, brush, and clear the valve cover? I did that on the Datsun and it looked mighty fine.

It's a personal thing for sure, but I like the long block plus the water pump being the same color on iron/iron combos. If the head were aluminum, I would leave it raw, but if not, I think it's a little visually distracting to have different parts of the motor be different colors.

I don't suppose they've invented a chrome colored paint that actually looks like chrome yet have they?

The old stuff looked cheap/cheesy AF then just turned grey anyway.

J's strip and clear coat sounds kinda neat.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Status
Not open for further replies.