Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
After all that confusing analogy stuff I kinda wonder when practical will become desirable again.

There are no more small trucks like the older Toyotas and Nissan hard bodies. Unless you needed towing or worked on the heavier side of construction those were enough truck for most city people. Could handle a couple appliances or furniture or whatever a car couldn't.
Those have become midsize. Still plenty enough city truck for most but they don't just whip into any parking spot without much maneuvering or squeeze down narrow alleys like the little ones could.

Full-size has become huge. They won't fit in any normal garage. Like Asa's example about the foot of empty space in front they've ballooned up for no reason other than to look big.
They barely squeeze into a normal parking spot or mechanics shop stall and you can't hardly open the doors.
There's steps all around just to help people get in it.
The bed sides are so high even me as a tall person can't hardly reach something in the bed standing beside it. Got to climb and crawl even on a stock model without any lift or big fancy tires.

They've become impractical. Disfunctional even.

After all that confusing analogy stuff I kinda wonder when practical will become desirable again.

There are no more small trucks like the older Toyotas and Nissan hard bodies. Unless you needed towing or worked on the heavier side of construction those were enough truck for most city people. Could handle a couple appliances or furniture or whatever a car couldn't.
Those have become midsize. Still plenty enough city truck for most but they don't just whip into any parking spot without much maneuvering or squeeze down narrow alleys like the little ones could.

Full-size has become huge. They won't fit in any normal garage. Like Asa's example about the foot of empty space in front they've ballooned up for no reason other than to look big.
They barely squeeze into a normal parking spot or mechanics shop stall and you can't hardly open the doors.
The bed sides are so high even me as a tall person can't hardly reach something in the bed standing beside it. Got to climb and crawl even on a stock model without any lift or big fancy tires.

Totes agree.
We have a little person guy in my area who drives a Hummer. That Silverado is going to be his next truck.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

Buddy who owns the brewery I'm helping out has a Suzuki Carry, and he loves the thing.

Dirt cheap. 4WD. Easy on gas. Super easy to throw shit in the back. Parks downtown really easy. For hauling beer kegs around town, picking up supplies, etc... it's like the best thing ever. Only issue with it is everyone wants to talk to you about it.

• Gravy
Buddy who owns the brewery I'm helping out has a Suzuki Carry, and he loves the thing.

Dirt cheap. 4WD. Easy on gas. Super easy to throw shit in the back. Parks downtown really easy. For hauling beer kegs around town, picking up supplies, etc... it's like the best thing ever. Only issue with it is everyone wants to talk to you about it.
Somewhere I have a picture of me crammed into one of those. It's a modern take on "fat man in a little coat" and it pretty clearly demonstrates that the only issue with it is that everyone wants to talk to you about it is not true

Somewhere I have a picture of me crammed into one of those. It's a modern take on "fat man in a little coat" and it pretty clearly demonstrates that the only issue with it is that everyone wants to talk to you about it is not true
Eh, I'm 6'2 and not exactly lacking in girth either but I still loved those little Nissan's. Always got the extended cab version. The tracks on the seat let it slide back and lean back into the x-cab part far enough was never cramped for length.

Little bit longer truck but could still zip around town and park easy.

Another guy my size in the passengers seat meant there wasn't much room between our shoulders but manageable. Normal size person over there was no problem.

They sell those in the Philippines for peanuts.

This guy imports from somewhere over there and they sell here for around $5000. May 4-ish if you got real green cash and he really needs a sale. Imports spare parts too.

Friends said their fire truck was a 3 cylinder that wound out max about 70mph.

24 years and older means they don't have to be retrofitted with our safety features or different glass or emissions or whatever. Can run em like they are.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and wetwillie
This guy kinda local deals in those mini-vehicles.
Friends of ours got a Japanese fire truck one time and sold ice cream with it. Put a generator on there and painted a small deep freezer red and mounted it in the back section.

https://www.sanmarcosmotorcycles.com/other-vech/
I've never seen a Suzuki Carry in traffic. Some guy had one for sale out here - I was kinda intrigued but the nagging thoughts of parts, insurance,etc. just killed the CAS(cruise acquisition syndrome).

• Gravy
I've never seen a Suzuki Carry in traffic. Some guy had one for sale out here - I was kinda intrigued but the nagging thoughts of parts, insurance,etc. just killed the CAS(cruise acquisition syndrome).

I haven'r seen one other than the friends I mentioned. The guy does turn over "some" inventory. Maybe not a lot but there has to be some more of them running around somewhere.

I don't think their insurance was anything special. Same as you'd expect on any other 25 year old vehicle.

No idea what the guy charges for his parts or service but they must be available on the internet somewhere. I don't think they're all that complicated either, nothing an expert layman couldn't handle so maybe he can't ask too much before people say fuck it I'll order some parts on eBay and let bubba fix it.

I think they're kind of novelty or kind of just neat second vehicles for most people. Maybe the truck for hauling landscaping stuff at a resort or something. I doubt many have one as their only daily driver and if it breaks they need it fixed right now so they can get to work or whatever. Got time to wait on parts and for bubba to get freed up on a weekend.

The reason theres nothing small anymore is because of something called the chicken tax which applies to all "light trucks". A tax that the current presidency wants to expand to all cars.

25% tax on any vehicle not 100% manufactured in the united states.

The reason theres nothing small anymore is because of something called the chicken tax which applies to all "light trucks". A tax that the current presidency wants to expand to all cars.

25% tax on any vehicle not 100% manufactured in the united states.

Ah...

The catch there is nothing is 100% manufactured here.

I suppose that's an easier sell than just saying tax everything though.

* definition of "100% manufactured in US" is gonna be kind of a fluid thing. Toyota plant in San Antonio. My Nissan's were made in Tennessee. But the thing didn't arrive here as a raw bag of bolts nor was every raw material US sourced or anything.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel and nukes
I've actually heard about that chicken tax before then forgot all about it til you mentioned it just now.

I feel like there has got to be enough demand out there for light pickup trucks to justify someone spinning up a factory for them. It's crazy how big midsize has gotten. I used to drive an 89 Nissan pickup and then a 2000 Nissan Frontier. Both were great, but when hail took the Frontier I ended up switching to a sedan. I liked the convenience of a pickup, but I never used it enough to justify what you have to spend for one now.

Status
Not open for further replies.