Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did them feckers use a set of luggage for planters? Rednecks indeed!

Give me a day or two cruising around my town and I'll have you a whole collection of automotive yard art.

All of it displayed in stunning depth and vivid clarity by way of my super awesome camera phone.

Seriously though there's some neat and offbeat car stuff.

Some broad design change will happen but I don't think they're quite all the way full retard yet. Can still squeeze a little bit more big truckasaurus look out of it. Also with modern lighting tech that isn't really limited to certain size or lense shapes to be blindingly bright, somebody is going to put out weird lit logos or spaceship looking things or even faces before somebody figures that's just too over-the-top and goes a completely different direction that catches on and becomes the new thing. It's already started with the weird angled led strings outlining front and rear corners as running lights.

This all started with the Dodge trucks that had high narrow hoods and low wide front fenders to look more like a dump truck or construction equipment instead of the box-connected-to-a-box-connected-to-another-box look of trucks before that. Everybody else followed and kept trying to one-up each other.

If trucks were rock-n-roll, we are one or two steps away from the absolute cheesiest of hair bands but nobody's made a Nirvana yet.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Wait, (and I'm gonna regret this) how is Nirvana bad?

Not saying they're bad. Saying they were the breakthrough next step that took it from over-,the-top to a stripped down something completely different.

The trend (before them) was to a point where everyone was trying to out-hairband everyone else and there just wasn't any hair left/nowhere else to go with it. They broke the trend and took it a completely different direction.

Whether that's for better or worse is an opinion, the fact that it happened is not.

I think truck design is at a point that is one or two steps away from "none more hair". There's a little more to exploit but the point at which it's run its course and something completely anti-current trend is coming sooner rather than later.

Lots of Cinderella, Warrant, and Poison out there because the formula still works, for now.

Nirvana, STP, and Pearl Jam are coming. Probably already in the works. Market timing says jump too early you'll be a nothing, jump too late you'll be just another _________. Hit it right and you'll define the (sound, truck style, whatever) of a generation.

View attachment 5632

Can't wait to see the headlights from that ugly motherfucker coming right in the rear window of my sensibly sized sedan...

Dafuq, GM? Y'all doing OK over there?
It's like they refused to believe that the "squishing a 2nd grill on top of another grill" shit they tried on the Aztek was a bad idea.

Probably the same designer responsible for the most recent Camaro, which was just as fugly. The F-bodies over the years were always good looking/iconic cars, but the last one shit the bed.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel and nukes
This.

It’s as though they design front ends and grills to appear as though they would inflict the most damage of any light duty truck in its class.
Which, strangely enough, it wouldn't. Seen under the hood of those things? Unless they started using Potvin blowers there is about a solid foot of vacant space before you get to the radiator support.

It's like a 73 Mustang under the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.