Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, my friend is looking to sell off his '71 Honda CB350. I wonder if I could justify that to the wife...
Curious, how much? Around here that could go from $0 - $1500 depending. Average, runner would be about $750. I used to ship about 100-150 bike a year to Europe for another dude and one time I went to buy a bike for him really out in the sticks. I was the first person in 6 weeks. The seller was so deflated he told me I could have both his and the wife's matching CB350s for the one price - $750. I didn't tell my guy - sold him the second one for $750. :fly: FUck it, he was in France.

I haven't got my motorcycle endorsement yet, but I've been thinking about one ever since one of my other friends got a liter bike, and seems to be having a good time.

I like old slow things, and the Honder seems to fit the bill on that front though...

Neighbor friend growing up had the CB360. I don't know the difference other than a whopping 10cc but basically the same thing.

Would be a great bike for scooting around town and taking leisurely rides in the country/desert.

The wife would probably enjoy it after the initial butterflies and it's something she could handle and ride herself if she gained an interest. Great starter bike or just all around fun bike to have.

They've won a sort of cool factor thing with the hipster crowd, may not come quite as cheap as they used to but still good bikes and easy to work on.

I would be hesitant to take it on freeways or high speed highway commutes. Not enough power/acceleration/speed left in it to quickly get out of trouble spots but great for everything else.

Last time I crossed New Mexico the speed limit was still 55 out in the middle of nowhere with nobody around. It could handle a ride like that ok. Probably get bogged down a bit on mountain roads with 2 people on it.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and adi
Neighbor friend growing up had the CB360. I don't know the difference other than a whopping 10cc but basically the same thing.

Would be a great bike for scooting around town and taking leisurely rides in the country/desert.

The wife would probably enjoy it after the initial butterflies and it's something she could handle and ride herself if she gained an interest. Great starter bike or just all around fun bike to have.

They've won a sort of cool factor thing with the hipster crowd, may not come quite as cheap as they used to but still good bikes and easy to work on.

I would be hesitant to take it on freeways or high speed highway commutes. Not enough power/acceleration/speed left in it to quickly get out of trouble spots but great for everything else.

Last time I crossed New Mexico the speed limit was still 55 out in the middle of nowhere with nobody around. It could handle a ride like that ok. Probably get bogged down a bit on mountain roads with 2 people on it.

We’re talking about a giant here. The 350 will feel that load for sure.

Don’t do it J. Too many fucking morons on the road. I would’ve wholeheartedly pushed for it 20 years ago. People are too stupid now.

BUT can they be sold in the US?

I almost suggested a two stroke of going old and used, but those old four stroke Hondas are reliable AF.
2 strokes are quite reliable immi baba fewer parts and easier to fix, not easier to tune though but i am sure they have changed that system by now

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
We’re talking about a giant here. The 350 will feel that load for sure.

Don’t do it J. Too many fucking morons on the road. I would’ve wholeheartedly pushed for it 20 years ago. People are too stupid now.

I think his wife is tiny though. Both put together maybe like one giant fat guy.

I still say it's a good bike for all the reasons and situations mentioned. Just not high speed roads or long/steep hill climbs.

This makes it too scary for me as well. Every so often I get the assholes in a crotch-rocket that thinks they should drive between cars - just once I'd like to tap one of those guys(j/k). I may have wiggled once or twice to give them the hint that I think it's BS. :fly:

This makes it too scary for me as well. Every so often I get the assholes in a crotch-rocket that thinks they should drive between cars - just once I'd like to tap one of those guys(j/k). I may have wiggled once or twice to give them the hint that I think it's BS. :fly:

Lane splitting. I’ve never understood that practice or could fathom why it’s legal in some states. It looks WAY too scary and dangerous.

I’m not really a fan of giving one vehicle that type of advantage. To me, it’s akin to someone driving a car on the shoulder to go around stopped traffic. Cars can’t drive in between lanes.

@Immigrant you might remember this.
What regulations were we dodging back then with large bikes? Idk if it was just expensive insurance or if there was some federal protectionist thing on imports to prop up Harley. Maybe environmental or licensing regs in some states?

I just remember all the Japanese "750s" were 749cc engines as true 750cc & up put you in some higher more expensive category.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
I think I may have seen the ultimate tard-duallie -beats the previous one by a mile. Dude started with a Crown Vic cop car, added dualies(which visibly wobbled), sheet metal fenders. BUt then he added some HUGE shocks or hydraulic tubes to the outside, front, right behind the front wheel. Like there was channel steel sticking out 6" right below the hood and (apparently) connected to the underside of the body. Add a 3 tone finish of mismatched body panels, a steel pipe grill protector from a 4X4 which he had wrapped with heavy chain. FFs. kids. Gotta check the phone, doubt any of my pics capture the excellence of that POS.

@Immigrant you might remember this.
What regulations were we dodging back then with large bikes? Idk if it was just expensive insurance or if there was some federal protectionist thing on imports to prop up Harley. Maybe environmental or licensing regs in some states?

I just remember all the Japanese "750s" were 749cc engines as true 750cc & up put you in some higher more expensive category.

“Expensive” as in to insure? That’s the only thing I’m aware of, kind of like a car with a V8 being a higher bracket than a 4 or 6 cal at one time. I had an insurance agent buddy once and he said there were insurance “codes” even for Toyotas different levels, Corolla S more to insure than an EX or whatever.

I’m unsure about those types of regulations or when/how they were implemented and enforced.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and HipHugHer
“Expensive” as in to insure? That’s the only thing I’m aware of, kind of like a car with a V8 being a higher bracket than a 4 or 6 cal at one time. I had an insurance agent buddy once and he said there were insurance “codes” even for Toyotas different levels, Corolla S more to insure than an EX or whatever.

I’m unsure about those types of regulations or when/how they were implemented and enforced.

Just happened to cross my mind out of curiosity.
Something akin to how you can get 49cc engine kits for bicycles and just ride them but 50cc makes it a motor vehicle and kicks in all the legal requirements of owning/driving one.

Maybe it was just insurance cost structure but there's some reason all those bikes were 749cc and not 750.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Status
Not open for further replies.