Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crunch time on the 300ZX to get it ready for this weekend's autocross. Gotta replace the rear struts with something not terrible, should be getting a new set of KYBs in the mail today.

@gee @Jehannum

Art dept student asked if there was a way to fire spark plugs with a system that plugged into the wall. I've got some stuff I could cobble together, but nothing that would be quiet or solid state. Anything you guys can think of that I could build that I'd be able to help this guy with?

He wants to fire 8 plugs at a time.

@gee @Jehannum

Art dept student asked if there was a way to fire spark plugs with a system that plugged into the wall. I've got some stuff I could cobble together, but nothing that would be quiet or solid state. Anything you guys can think of that I could build that I'd be able to help this guy with?

IDK what the practical limitations are on current for a 120VAC to 12VDC converter, but that'd be where I'd start.

Maybe try one of those jumpstart carts, connected positive to an ignition coil, then use whatever s/he feels will work as a breaker point on the negative side (obv. the coil output would then go through HT leads to the spark plugs, and they'd all share a ground plane somehow).

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
@gee @Jehannum

Apparently you can buy 8-outlet BBQ igniters, though there isn't much showing on Amazon:

Rip the battery out and hook up one of this style power supply to its guts:

Amazon product ASIN B005IDTH76

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Apparently you can buy 8-outlet BBQ igniters, though there isn't much showing on Amazon:

Rip the battery out and hook up one of this style power supply to its guts:

Amazon product ASIN B005IDTH76
Now that sounds like a plan.

Was gonna say you could get there cannibalizing a throwaway gas stove or 2 but gee's way is pretty affordable and less work.

Another coil on plug died in the Corolla mid trip down the highway. Thats the second in two years, and it seems they dont have a standard maintenece cycle like spark plugs.

Any possibility of rain leaking down onto them as the car sits?

If not, next time you need to buy some look at a high performance brand (MSD, Accel, etc) and price them out. Often you can find them for the same price or cheaper and they should be built more ruggedly than the stock ones.

I am not.... but i havent noticed any corrosion or damage. And upon ohming out the old ones, they show a dead short.
Well, you should.

However, if the dead ones are ohming to a short, that means they're probably overheating.

When was the last time you changed your spark plugs? If the gap is too big, it can make the coils work hard enough to melt.

Well, you should.

However, if the dead ones are ohming to a short, that means they're probably overheating.

When was the last time you changed your spark plugs? If the gap is too big, it can make the coils work hard enough to melt.
recently, cant tell you when, but on the required maintenence schedule.

Ill grease up the coil packs, theyre super easy to swap, one 10mm bolt, pop it out,done.

Status
Not open for further replies.