Status
Not open for further replies.

gee

Blame It On The Gassa Nova
Sep 29, 2012
Halifax
Marklar
₥28,122.81
So, dude selling the house I'm (hopefully) buying has offered me his truck.

1994 Ford F150 XLT, 4x4, with a 351W engine and a plow. It's in fabulous shape. $5K CAD.

I don't need a truck and can't see myself getting into the snowplow business, but if there's money to be made at it that will pay off the truck in a reasonable amount of time, hmm...

Domon

enjoys a good porkin'
May 19, 2011
Marklar
₥43,115.69
Unless your dollar was worth even less than I was expecting, that seems like an absolutely enormous amount for such an ancient truck

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh

HipHugHer

Looks like Ted Nugent, Smells like Sasquatch
Apr 18, 2016
Marklar
₥89,643.86
Unless your dollar was worth even less than I was expecting, that seems like an absolutely enormous amount for such an ancient truck
Depending on how rural you live up there, a truck with a plow on it could be like buying a little sole proprietor business equipment instead of "just a truck".

wetwille

Vegan Bow Hunter
May 24, 2018
Mid MIchigan
Marklar
₥53,753.48
So, dude selling the house I'm (hopefully) buying has offered me his truck.

1994 Ford F150 XLT, 4x4, with a 351W engine and a plow. It's in fabulous shape. $5K CAD.

I don't need a truck and can't see myself getting into the snowplow business, but if there's money to be made at it that will pay off the truck in a reasonable amount of time, hmm...
Looks very good underside for it's age. If miles are also low for age it sounds like a decent price - ask him if he'd consider $4-4.5k Most people won't mind a 10-15% reduction from asking. Plowing - emergency plowing(meaning you don't have a contract for season OR to pay X per push), could easily run $60-$80 for one time of say a 60-70 meter straight drive. I had a truck with plow just for my 150 meters of drive but would often stop and ask people who were struggling after a snowstorm if they wanted a push. Just kind of random, like I'd push mine out, decide to go get some gas and beer and figure I'll do a push or two to pay for said gas and beer. And since it's a new home, chances are you will need to go get a few larger things the first year or two.
I have a 1999 International box truck - no worries, southern vehicle, still only 37k miles on it. Was owned by a charity and used rarely.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

HipHugHer

Looks like Ted Nugent, Smells like Sasquatch
Apr 18, 2016
Marklar
₥89,643.86
Everybody needs a truck for something now and then.

I'd show him 4 cash. Do enough plowing for cash on the side to make it pay for itself. No need to make an official business out of it.

Now you pretty much have a free truck and plow. Go from there. Could keep or sell one or both.

If I had the room I'd keep it just as a backup vehicle, truck when you need one, plow your way out to the main road after a blizzard or help a neighbor, etc.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwille

Josh

Biff Clurton
Oct 9, 2006
Marklar
₥6,122.72
Plow trucks are retardedly expensive to upkeep, lots of wear and tear on the vehicle and plow. My plow guy last season went through over a grand in repairs to the plow hydraulics and other shit. He was charging me like $30 per plow. He wasn't all that great. My lawnmower guy plows in the offseason and charges $35. I think I'll hire him instead this year. He does a great job cutting my lawn, prompt, friendly dude.

Valve1138

I eat my own poo with a spoon
Oct 19, 2004
South Harmon Institute of Technology
Marklar
₥60,275.54
Plow trucks are retardedly expensive to upkeep, lots of wear and tear on the vehicle and plow. My plow guy last season went through over a grand in repairs to the plow hydraulics and other shit. He was charging me like $30 per plow. He wasn't all that great. My lawnmower guy plows in the offseason and charges $35. I think I'll hire him instead this year. He does a great job cutting my lawn, prompt, friendly dude.
$30 a plow or per storm?

I used to pay 20 per storm 10 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.