Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
They scream 1970s/1980s shitty japanese sports car. They look like something you'd find on a Subaru XT.
I believe you mean "awesome" Japanese sports car.

They did come stock on the 280ZX Turbo.

It was either that or $100 more for the Snowflake wheels, but that seemed a little too "on the nose" for me.

Was gonna say I recognize those rims from when they were new. I wouldn't make em black though but whatever.

So Maine has finally passed hands-free cell phone use in vehicles, will take effect in Sept. Basically can't touch your cell phone while vehicle is in operation for any reason. Currently I use an AUX cable because neither van I own has Bluetooth with the OEM headunit. I guess its time I get a real head unit for both of my vans for navigation and music control. Android Auto is pretty damn slick. Used it on a rental Hyundai Sonata a couple months ago. Anyone have any suggestions? Double DIN headunit size. Any particular brands I should look at or stay away from? I didn't see any super great deals on Prime Day.

So Maine has finally passed hands-free cell phone use in vehicles, will take effect in Sept. Basically can't touch your cell phone while vehicle is in operation for any reason. Currently I use an AUX cable because neither van I own has Bluetooth with the OEM headunit. I guess its time I get a real head unit for both of my vans for navigation and music control. Android Auto is pretty damn slick. Used it on a rental Hyundai Sonata a couple months ago. Anyone have any suggestions? Double DIN headunit size. Any particular brands I should look at or stay away from? I didn't see any super great deals on Prime Day.
Does Best Buy still have the car audio room you can walk into, and push different buttons to activate different head units/speakers/subs/whatever? I'd hit up one of those places, and fuck around with head units until you find one you don't fucking hate.

Also, single DIN + pocket might be more convenient than double DIN. Having a big pocket in the dash to poke shit is great.

I prefer Alpine units to basically any other aftermarket unit now, but that probably has more to do with the fact that I've used them for 20 years and their interfaces have basically stayed static for all that time. big 2nd on @gee's 1 DIN + pocket idea. You can pop a hole in the back and drop your USB cable down it for chargin' your lazer.

We've had those laws here for a few years now. Cops won't/can't enforce it. They got sick of everybody making them come to court only to have their case dismissed when they couldn't prove you were actually on your phone.
Crappy dash cam video from 50ft back through tinted glass ain't good enough.
By the time they made the stop and got up to the car the phone was put away, lol.

Should probably still comply with a company owned vehicle though.

We've had those laws here for a few years now. Cops won't/can't enforce it. They got sick of everybody making them come to court only to have their case dismissed when they couldn't prove you were actually on your phone.
Crappy dash cam video from 50ft back through tinted glass ain't good enough.
By the time they made the stop and got up to the car the phone was put away, lol.

Should probably still comply with a company owned vehicle though.
Well, the could subpoena the cell phone record but the cost & time is a bit much for a PD - nothing in it for them beyond the fine. But if they DID, quibbling over the time wouldn't do you much good unless you had a solid alibi that you had just got in the car and ended the call before putting in gear. We subpoena them on defendant drivers if there is a question.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I've told you guys the story a thousand times about the cop who chased me through town without identifying himself...he was in his own car off duty after all. I was aiming for the police station just in case he was some sort of Citizen nut job, and a block from the police station three of his Cruisers surrounded me all because I was texting and driving. I told them all he had to do is identify himself and I would have stopped!

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Well, the could subpoena the cell phone record but the cost & time is a bit much for a PD - nothing in it for them beyond the fine. But if they DID, quibbling over the time wouldn't do you much good unless you had a solid alibi that you had just got in the car and ended the call before putting in gear. We subpoena them on defendant drivers if there is a question.

Cost/time doesn't work out for them.
They're further ahead keeping those officers out of court and on the street writing speeding tickets people will just pay instead of contest.

Phone records- nope. Nothing illegal about being on the phone, just physically having it in your hand while you are.

Phone records- nope. Nothing illegal about being on the phone, just physically having it in your hand while you are.
Phone records - yep. Totally illegal to use the phone if under 18 in most states (hands-free be damned) -19 in IL, 21 in IA. Virtually all states ban texting while vehicle is in gear. Even if not against the law(e.g. hands-free), you could still get a ticket for distracted driving or be sued for negligent operation.
Or just find yourself wrapped around a tree - if you're lucky.

The cell phone law is there more for insurance carriers than for safety. LOL. Safety, really?

No, they won’t try to prove you were on it but you can be damn sure the other party’s insurance carrier will when you put their insured in the hospital and there is a dispute over who caused the accident involving that bus full of those poor, poor Christian children on their way back from helping homeless boneless hookers gum their food.

• Gravy
The cell phone law is there more for insurance carriers than for safety. LOL. Safety, really?

No, they won’t try to prove you were on it but you can be damn sure the other party’s insurance carrier will when you put their insured in the hospital and there is a dispute over who caused the accident involving that bus full of those poor, poor Christian children on their way back from helping homeless boneless hookers gum their food.
You just described a scenario where the safety of the "poor, poor, Christian children" was possibly compromised by a safety issue. Myself, I don't want some asshole rear-ending me because they were texting or just arguing with their fuck-mate while using a hands-free. Safety, really, yes.

• Gravy
You just described a scenario where the safety of the "poor, poor, Christian children" was possibly compromised by a safety issue. Myself, I don't want some asshole rear-ending me because they were texting or just arguing with their fuck-mate while using a hands-free. Safety, really, yes.

Having been rear ended by someone dialing the phone, I concur. Counselor.

But the only people who give a crap are insurance companies who have to litigate big thangs.

• Gravy
Phone records - yep. Totally illegal to use the phone if under 18 in most states (hands-free be damned) -19 in IL, 21 in IA. Virtually all states ban texting while vehicle is in gear. Even if not against the law(e.g. hands-free), you could still get a ticket for distracted driving or be sued for negligent operation.
Or just find yourself wrapped around a tree - if you're lucky.

All I can tell you is here it's pretty much unenforceable.
Maybe they'll tack it on to another infraction if you're stupid enough tell them you were on it, or still have it on your damn ear when they walk up, but it's a damn rare thing to get a ticket solely for the phone and nothing else, and have it stick.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Local newspaper did a What Can I do/What Can't I do in regards to the new cell phone law:

All of it is up for interpretation. Much like the radar guns, they don't have a receipt that they bring to court. It's the cop's word against you if they decide you were using your cell phone, not activating hands-free.

But anyway, I don't need a hole in the dash. Got plenty of room in center console for storage. Rather have large screen (one that doesn't flip up either) for navigation and music control.

Having been rear ended by someone dialing the phone, I concur. Counselor.

But the only people who give a crap are insurance companies who have to litigate big thangs.
Insurance companies in no-fault states(here) don't give a shit who was at fault, they are on the hook for the medical bills, wage loss and household help regardless. And they can't go after the at-fault driver for reimbursement. It's the individual who got hurt who goes after the at-fault person(and their possible phone record) for their permanent injury. It varies a lot from state to state so your perspective is possibly dead on, for your state.
Damn, had to insult me by insinuating I was a fucking lawyer. Why I aughta!:mad: :fly: *I make more than the average attorney in my state. :fly::fly:

• Gravy
oSuwmbF.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.