Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently there's an Infiniti in the driveway too, but I'm sure the wife has strict rules and won't let him take a wrench to that, which is why we never hear about the thing.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
Apparently there's an Infiniti in the driveway too, but I'm sure the wife has strict rules and won't let him take a wrench to that, which is why we never hear about the thing.
No, I remember some nonsense about an axle nut or something. More along the lines of maintenance than tinkering, though.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
is there ever a time when any of your cars are stable and dont need something done?
To be fair, I've been working up to this on the red Z for some time. Replacing the fuel pump was the last issue that needed overcoming, since the original fuel system was so complicated, poorly designed, and (most importantly) incompatible with ethanol-based fuels.

The original fuel system had an FPR that was too small, which was compensated for with a multi-speed fuel pump, which resulted in requiring another FPR on the other side of the fuel rail (the incoming side), and a fuel gallery that ran over the top of the plenum (which in itself necessitated a separate solenoid valve to relieve overpressure on the heat-soaked gallery).

Now the fuel system is simple - it goes from the pump (which is now happy to run at full speed all the time) to the filter to the rails to the FPR to the ethanol content analyzer to the tank.

I've eliminated more than half the parts and junctions in the original system and changed the ones that were there to threaded AN fittings, which is a net win in my estimation.

This is sort of the capstone of that series of modifications, and it's been in the works ever since I decided to dump the stock EFI computer for one that's from this century.

Also, I don't "need" this done. I want it done. It runs just fine right now on regular gas without futzing at all. I'm just upgrading to a "flex fuel" setup.

The reason why it's taken so long is because I'm a pedantic fucker and like to change one thing at a time and work out the bugs as I go along instead of changing a bunch of shit at once and then ending up with a boatload of issues.

Last edited:
No, I remember some nonsense about an axle nut or something. More along the lines of maintenance than tinkering, though.
Ugh, the great CV boot debacle of 2015. I was replacing the struts with some that weren't 100,000 miles old and accidentally nicked a CV boot.

FWIW, I got a deburring tool and cut the mushroomed part of that bolt off, now it's assembled properly.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
It's relatively reliable and modern. The red Z is relatively reliable too.

The only rules the wife has governing the cars that she drives (the red Z and the infiniti) is that one of them has to be working, and both of them have to have AC and cruise control. Neither of those is an overwhelming burden to comply with.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
How often are you futzing with your many electronic devices? Upgrading drives or monitors or whatnot?

actually been completely stable for quite a long time now. The recent upgrade (new box, new monitor) was the first upgrade in about 2 years.

actually been completely stable for quite a long time now. The recent upgrade (new box, new monitor) was the first upgrade in about 2 years.
Futzing, not major upgrades.

You were just talking about updating something in peanut's computer, musing about getting a new big-damn monitor, and not long ago you were happy you just got your VR setup working mostly properly.

Futzing, not major upgrades.

You were just talking about updating something in peanut's computer, musing about getting a new big-damn monitor, and not long ago you were happy you just got your VR setup working mostly properly.

eh, i guess so.

had an ssd die on me, did the full system upgrade for vr (which included the bigassm onitor).

Rented a Chevy (L)Impala last weekend, and the only redeeming quality it had was that it didn't have enough power to spin the wheels while I was navigating through the snowstorm that engulfed Wisconsin on Saturday night.

I'm not sure whether it had the 6 or the 4, but it had about the fuel economy I expect from a 6 with the power I'd expect from a 4.

The Infotainment console was so badly laid out and unnavigable that I could never tell exactly what radio station I had it tuned to, because the actual "this is what station you're listening to" part of the screen was overlaid so that only the tops of the numbers could be seen over the 3 rows of presets on the bottom. I eventually figured out how to pair my iPod to it via bluetooth and just controlled it by using the iPod controls instead.

The seats had bolstering for someone with about 2" less girth than I'm equipped with, so my ass cheeks were uncomfortable the whole time, and the cabin was laid out in such a way that if I had the seat high enough to rest my arm on the (ridiculously high) window sill, my head would be hitting the ceiling, but the seat wouldn't go low enough for me to comfortably rest my arm on the armrest in the door.

Holy fuck, was it a bad vehicle.

No fucking wonder GM is focusing on trucks and EVs, they can't make a fuckin' car to save their lives. Maybe that's why they've had so many goddamned models over the last decade (Cruze, Spark, Bolt, Volt, Aptiva, Impala, Malibu, Trax, Sonic, Equinox), they've needed new and shiny to distract from how terrible they really are.

Status
Not open for further replies.