Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jehannum

Cleaning hydraulic lifters, any thoughts?
Was thinking about dropping them in a vat of Berryman's Chem Dip Carburetor Cleaner, but I'm not sure if there's a better method.

Also wondering if I should disassemble them to clean completely.

@Jehannum

Cleaning hydraulic lifters, any thoughts?
Was thinking about dropping them in a vat of Berryman's Chem Dip Carburetor Cleaner, but I'm not sure if there's a better method.

Also wondering if I should disassemble them to clean completely.
This was what I did to clean and relube the lifters in my Z32 when I rebuilt the motor. It may be helpful for you to read, but as ever, adapt to your own situation.

I did use chem dip, and I also made sure to do them one at a time, so I wouldn't reassemble them with other lifters' parts.

I was thinking of fabricating some sort of porous container so I could dump them all in the dip at once.

Stainless steel screen, either "sew" the edges together with some sort of safety wire, or braze them together.

How small does the mesh have to be? they've probably got strainer baskets too that'll work, you can get really fine ones for sifting flour/sugar/whatever.
Haven't torn one down to measure smallest diameter. Under .063" would probably do it?
The problem is that these have bedded together, so I need to separate them within the container and do a mass wash, or do them one at a time. I'd like to try and get multiple loads in the dip at once to cut down time as I like to let this stuff take it's time and go for a week or more of soaking.

Metal window screen?

You'll find something. I'd be more concerned with making some sort of grid/dividers to keep them sorted if you're putting them back in with the old cam and pushrods.

Haven't torn one down to measure smallest diameter. Under .063" would probably do it?
The problem is that these have bedded together, so I need to separate them within the container and do a mass wash, or do them one at a time. I'd like to try and get multiple loads in the dip at once to cut down time as I like to let this stuff take it's time and go for a week or more of soaking.
1542048553098.png
Classification sifters, fit on a 5 gallon bucket if you need that. All over ebay, etc., prices vary a LOT. I use mine daily . . .

Replaced the battery today in the Datsun because the starter was going all limp and floppy. Also, the battery was a 5 year old "3 year" battery, so it was time.

Now it's suitably manly and grunt.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
Status
Not open for further replies.