Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vettes went downhill as soon as they ditched the I6. By now the only hope for redemption is the M/R drivetrain, not using a valvetrain over a century old, and ditching the leafsprings

I figure if J doesn't completely hate his 300ZX despite how often he's got the thing taken apart and the funds he's spent on it, it must be at least a bit fun to drive.

That or he's desperately trying to convince himself that all that effort was somehow worth it.

I figure if J doesn't completely hate his 300ZX despite how often he's got the thing taken apart and the funds he's spent on it, it must be at least a bit fun to drive.

That or he's desperately trying to convince himself that all that effort was somehow worth it.
As someone in the same boat, both definitely. Where the balance point is shifts, though

I think the modern vette is a great piece of engineering. Pushrod V8 makes for a compact package (and you can't say the LS is a shitty motor), and the transverse leaf spring is lightweight/compact and does the job without any obvious disadvantages. The car's fast and handles great.

But yeah, they're totally a midlifecrisismobile.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant

little of column "A", little of column "B" there...

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/pts/d/1988-ford-fmotor-engine/6744160470.html

f1ZADTB.gif

Install, rebuild current engine, reinstall, sell 5.0 again.

Today has not been a good day for this engine teardown and checkup. First I get the news of the above, now I find this.

Geez man.

At the risk of staying the obvious...if you want to do a rebuild, just do it on the one that's in your truck. Between the head and now this, I'd just salvage any odds and ends you think might be useful on the other one (likely not much), cut losses and move on.

Sucks dude.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
5.slow would require too much.

Even carbed, I'd have no way to control the trans. Its Ford's first electronically controlled transmission. Without proper inputs it shifts like a drag car, slamming into every gear (and I mean slamming, the MAP sensor went bad 2-3 years back and damn near gave me whiplash)

I think Baumann made a standalone controller for it, but that was $1000 or so last I looked.

Geez man.

At the risk of staying the obvious...if you want to do a rebuild, just do it on the one that's in your truck. Between the head and now this, I'd just salvage any odds and ends you think might be useful on the other one (likely not much), cut losses and move on.

Sucks dude.
Can't afford to not have a vehicle. Might be able to get Susie ship shape again for the duration, but the list of things I have from just a month of driving is pretty rough.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
The crank surfaces overall look good. I'm hopeful that they wont need machining and will just need polishing and new bearings.

It's a thin sliver of hope, but it's there.

The guy I'm working with isnt trying to fuck me, so I'm hopeful we can figure something out.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
The crank surfaces overall look good. I'm hopeful that they wont need machining and will just need polishing and new bearings.

The guy I'm working with isnt trying to fuck me, so I'm hopeful we can figure something out.

What you gonna do about the broken off "ear", counterweight, whatever you wanna call it, on the crank? (If I'm looking at it correctly).

Yeah, I was going to say the bearings look done, but the crank looked fairly OK.

Get out the plastigauge and some emery cloth and do a ghetto re-bearing.

Is this supposed to be the "temporary" engine while you do yours up right? Or are you gonna run the one in your truck as is while you build this one up right?

I might be getting confused there.

Yeah, I was going to say the bearings look done, but the crank looked fairly OK.

Get out the plastigauge and some emery cloth and do a ghetto re-bearing.
Guy that owns the machine shop told me to bring the guts to him, he'd run everything through the parts washer and mic everything. This was after stressing to him that I'm finishing school and need to ensure I can pay for everything for it.

I'll let him check then go with a decision

Status
Not open for further replies.