Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the GTI back from the body shop...err, some old guy's garage. New rocker panels are welded in. Doing prep and paint and clearcoat and everything to do it right would have cost more than what the car was worth, so dude painted them with bedliner instead, and painted all the way up to the bottom of the doors :lol: the car looks like such a piece of trash now.

Still have to patch two holes in the floor, in the rear footwells where the drain plugs used to be. Gonna haul up the carpet and fiberglass over the holes from above, then rocker guard them from below.

#beaterlyfe

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and Jehannum
Got the GTI back from the body shop...err, some old guy's garage. New rocker panels are welded in. Doing prep and paint and clearcoat and everything to do it right would have cost more than what the car was worth, so dude painted them with bedliner instead, and painted all the way up to the bottom of the doors :lol: the car looks like such a piece of trash now.

Still have to patch two holes in the floor, in the rear footwells where the drain plugs used to be. Gonna haul up the carpet and fiberglass over the holes from above, then rocker guard them from below.

#beaterlyfe
I just paid the stupid tax after replacing the blown front shock on my Z32. Left out the top plate on the passenger side (I replaced the shocks as a pair), and as soon as I dropped it back on the floor, the strut top punched the bottom of the hood.

$130 for a quart of base coat and its attendant reducer and hardener, some of Saturday (pounded the dent out then glazed, sanded, and primed it), and Sunday afternoon (sanded the primer to 800 grit, then base coat and clear coat). Still gotta wet sand it and buff it out, but that's a "next weekend" problem. Also a "next weekend" problem: figuring out just where the garage air is leaking into the house, because painting in the garage is totally untenable if the fumes are going in the house as well.

IMG_20171126_152914.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
Ugh, that sucks about the shock.

You've got friggin' skills. Wish I knew how to do bodywork that didn't look like ass. Or a garage to do bodywork in. Or lived in a climate where your car lasts more than a decade before the ocean and winter road salt eat it :/

• Gravy
Ugh, that sucks about the shock.

You've got friggin' skills. Wish I knew how to do bodywork that didn't look like ass. Or a garage to do bodywork in. Or lived in a climate where your car lasts more than a decade before the ocean and winter road salt eat it :/
It's not rocket surgery (unlike suspension work, apparently). Just attention to detail and dust management, mostly.

I do have a big ugly fuckin' bug right in the middle that landed there and died sometime between the 3rd and 4th coat of clear. :lol:

Gonna sand him out.

I just paid the stupid tax after replacing the blown front shock on my Z32. Left out the top plate on the passenger side (I replaced the shocks as a pair), and as soon as I dropped it back on the floor, the strut top punched the bottom of the hood.

$130 for a quart of base coat and its attendant reducer and hardener, some of Saturday (pounded the dent out then glazed, sanded, and primed it), and Sunday afternoon (sanded the primer to 800 grit, then base coat and clear coat). Still gotta wet sand it and buff it out, but that's a "next weekend" problem. Also a "next weekend" problem: figuring out just where the garage air is leaking into the house, because painting in the garage is totally untenable if the fumes are going in the house as well.

View attachment 2411
How many times have you painted that damn thing?

I designed a suspension system for my boat trailer.

478a0fe8d2f1b357cf3243a18b0600eb.jpg

Wrangling this snake today, heard the rear brake hard line is supposed to be one of those "the car was built around this" type parts.

I keep blowing a fuse in the 300ZX. It's beginning to bother me.

The fuse only supplies power to the idle air motor, the wastegate solenoid, the VTC solenoids, and a bunch of other shit that isn't currently in use (fast idle solenoid, narrowband O2 sensors, cat light-off solenoid, EGR solenoid, fuel rail pressure bleed-off solenoid).

I think one of the plugs I don't have plugged in might be shorting to ground, but it happens rarely enough that I can't figure out which one it is. Probably just gonna wrap them all up in electrical tape and dielectric grease this afternoon.
Figured it out. The passenger side narrowband O2 sensor harness had fallen onto the downpipe and melted.

No biggie, I removed it and plugged up the hole. The ECU uses the wideband on that side for metering anyhow.

• Gravy
Slid down the driveway in the Fit today in the snow, with the ABS hammering away, and the ABS light came on. Noticed a bit of a burnt electronics smell a couple of minutes later, pulled over... yeah, the smell's coming from the fuse box. One of the contacts in the box where the ABS motor fuse plugs in is burnt up.

Every day this fucking car makes me hate it more.

Slid down the driveway in the Fit today in the snow, with the ABS hammering away, and the ABS light came on. Noticed a bit of a burnt electronics smell a couple of minutes later, pulled over... yeah, the smell's coming from the fuse box. One of the contacts in the box where the ABS motor fuse plugs in is burnt up.

Every day this fucking car makes me hate it more.
The Z has a relay for the ABS that gets sticky with age. Sometimes the pump will stick on and run until the battery dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.